My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes for the FFB control I use a Blueboard with the Mizoo program. It's a beta driver. So the Racing wheel is recognized in windows.

http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=65

The board send analogic signal + - 5V to the AMC amplifier and the AMC amplify the signal to the motor...

Thank you Stef! That helps a lot. I am really considering this project but I am worried about the motor being strong enough.

One more question about the gearbox...

You say that the gearbox is meant to amplify the torque, correct? And that is because the motor does not have enough torque to be enough for proper FFB.

I'm worried about this because if my current Thrustmaster T500rs has more FFB than this setup, what's the point?

I would just like to know what you think in regards to the amount of FFB this setup can provide. Is it very very strong? Do you have to turn it down at all?

By the way, you really need to get a proper desk or cockpit, Stef! :)

Upvote 0
Agree with you for the cockpit, but not my wife lol...

To know the real torque of the T500Rs make the test and you will know... ;)

347900IMG5712.jpg

If your T500Rs has 5-6 Nm max., I have with my setup 11-12Nm constant on the axe, so 8Nm on the arms... The difference is like G25 and your wheel...

And to clarify it's the constant torque, the motor is always cold, no cooling necessary...

The setup is very strong.

Upvote 0

If your T500Rs has 5-6 Nm max., I have with my setup 11-12Nm constant on the axe, so 8Nm on the arms... The difference is like G25 and your wheel...

And to clarify it's the constant torque, the motor is always cold, no cooling necessary...

Awesome! Thank you Stef! That makes perfect sense to me now.

Upvote 0
Agree with you for the cockpit, but not my wife lol...

347900IMG5712.jpg

Upvote 0
This board is just a FFB controller, it manages the FFB game data, i.e.the torque which must be applied on the steering wheel. This value is available as an analog differental signal (or SPI, UART if needed).
In addition, you must use a controller/driver with power stage to drive the motor.
For a brushed motor you can use an AMC servo drive.
Leo, for his AC servo motor, uses a VSD from granite devices; too expensive for me, that's why I'm also building my own AC controller (not based on blueboard),.

Upvote 0
...Leo, for his AC servo motor, uses a VSD from granite devices...
Well I'll be damned - I thought Leo had designed the drive stage he uses himself. But, if price is not an issue and the wanted specs are there, I can see why one would like to avoid going through that process.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,
Here a little video of my Mizoo/RFR FFB Wheel by MagicFr ( official name ? :p )

It's still WIP, I still have to add belt/pulley to have twice torque and less velocity ( it turn too fast :) ).A nice case, buttons, rotary switches, padle,etc.

Currently, wheel is 5N.m, holding torque, 400rpm, with Oreca 300mm rim ( 850g ).

rFactor, LeoBodnar FFB plugin, Nissan Skyline GTR, Norsdchleife, first try.

Upvote 0
(..) I'm quite busy for several weeks, the "beta" stage is closed, I don't provide firmware until the final version.
And to avoid piracy (as a previous project), the board will be shipped by me.

Hi Mizoo,
would you have a rough estimate for the stable version coming.
I'm really interested in it as i plan to upg my system looking fw and i'm seriously looking in to this great project that you have kindly shared with us as THE solution
Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
On top of the above post just one dumb question comes to mind (my apology if this has already been discussed or is stupid idea from start)

Would it be a possibility (while not economically best one) to use as controller an existing PCB controller from a cannibalized wheel unit (e.g. Logitech G27 or Fanatec CSR-Elite) and use the output of that PCB (24V, few A) to pilot the big motor driver amplifier ?

Upvote 0
Yes, it's possible but more difficult...Be patient Mizoo will give informations very soon...

As you see Magicfr use now the Blueboard with an AC servo-motor 5Nm holding torque and 400rpm. In the future it will make a pulley reduction 1:2 to have 10Nm an 200rpm...

To compare this WIP setup with commercial wheels lol...

WheelCheck48V5A.png

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back