My homemade FFB controller

Hi, simracer fans :)

I just wanted to show you my last project.
After seeing the Steph Bord and V8Ben videos I wanted an FFB Happ steering wheel too !

But, instead of hacking a logitech board, I built my own FFB controller:
42497761.jpg

It's based on a Blueboard LPC1768H (I have also a version for LPCXPRESSO), 34$.

The main specs are:
- 1 kHz refresh rate output signal (ie: for AMC)
- 1 kHz refresh rate for USB data coming from game (even if most games actually update the data only 60-100 times per sec.)
- incremental rotary encoder for the steering wheel position (I'm using a 2048CPR, 8192 position per rotation, on direct drive)
- compatible with G25 pedals (and shifter soon)
- configuration via OLED display (soon)
- FFB monitoring, to avoid clipping (currently via serial port, and on OLED soon)
- no need to any driver

To drive the motor, I'm currently using an AMC servo drive, but I will build my own motor controller once the firmware is finished (for brushed and brushless motors).

I also removed the mechanical stop of the steering wheel, since it's managed with the motor (the steering angle is configurable).

This setup is more strong and fun than my G25 (I rediscover rFactor that I disliked before).
I can have strong FFB effects without clipping.

I think to provide a firmware soon (maybe for few bucks or donation).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all used parts bought on Ebay.

Reliance micro DC 100 3/4 HP, 3 Nm constant torque + Thomson Redimount Duratrue 90 planetary gearbox ratio 1/3 + Rotary encoder 500cpr on the back of the motor.

AMC, power supply (400W 7.5A 48vdc) and BB are the same that the Happ system.

With full new combo another guy on the french forum Sweed will use a Keling dc servomotor (KL34-180-90). With a 1/10 planetary gearbox it's perhaps a good option. But not tested yet...

Edit : A new HD video with a friend driver...

Upvote 0
What are the total costs to set this up?
Also, how would you go about having a wheel with a display and buttons and a quick release?

It seems a bit overkill for home use, but truth is once you are used to these wheels, everything else feels like a toy :X

Upvote 0
For the cost it's all used items. Only Blueboard is new.

AMC30A8 35$ + Power supply 500W 100$+ Motor MicroDC100 3/4Hp 150$ +Thomson planetary Gearbox 220$ + Encoder 20$ + BlueBoard 50$.

You have to buy a wheel too and an adaptater for the planetary shaft. I will take a screenshot to explain that. Actually my wheel is with a slim quick release. I bought too on ebay paddle shifter Mastershift" to connect in the future.

Buttons will be connected to the BlueBoard.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd love to get an entire list of parts needed and how much they cost.

Mizoo's board seems very interesting.

The only other solution is a wheel that costs around $4000. Not something I'm willing to pay.

All I need is a complete list of parts needed including Mizoo's board (if he sells them).

I love DIY projects and this looks like something I would love to try. I just need to know what parts to get =)

Upvote 0
I think he means that links to possible suppliers would be neat to have ;)

Looking for these items online can be difficult if you don't have a clue what it is you are looking for.. (speaking out of experience :p )

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. I don't need links, but rather I need the exact names of the products in order to do a proper search for the exact parts.

I'll be keeping an eye on this project very closely. I have tested just about every single wheel on the market and nothing even comes close to what this is capable of.

The only other alternative is the wheel that Leo Bodnar makes that costs $4000. It's not even for the general public. Especially at that price range.

Upvote 0
For the Mizoo board, I don't know if he will sell the board or make a system by donation, it's not decided...

I have bought a gearbox, because my motor has 3,5Nm constant torque, so 3,5*3= 10,5Nm on the wheel. But if you buy directly a servo motor with 8 or 9Nm constant you can directly connect the wheel to him like the Niels wheel.

On the wheel you must have 200t/mn and 8-10Nm...

Upvote 0
For the Mizoo board, I don't know if he will sell the board or make a system by donation, it's not decided...

I have bought a gearbox, because my motor has 3,5Nm constant torque, so 3,5*3= 10,5Nm on the wheel. But if you buy directly a servo motor with 8 or 9Nm constant you can directly connect the wheel to him like the Niels wheel.

On the wheel you must have 200t/mn and 8-10Nm...

It's too bad that I don't understand any of those numbers at all. I'm not an expert in electronics. I guess it's going to take someone to explain everything in explicit detail what the requirements are for building this thing.

Most people just don't have the patience to explain things in detail.

For example, I don't understand what you mean by "gearbox". What sort of gearbox? What does it look like? What purpose does it serve? What exactly does it do?

How about the motor you mention? What type of motor is it? Are we talking about the HAPP motor? Are we talking about any motor with that amount of torque? How about a clothes dryer motor? :)

I suppose I'm more like a child when it comes to these things. If someone doesn't take the time to explain things in every single fine detail, I'm completely lost.

I really hope that some day you guys will have some sort of instruction manual of some sort for people like me :)

Upvote 0
It's too bad that I don't understand any of those numbers at all. I'm not an expert in electronics. I guess it's going to take someone to explain everything in explicit detail what the requirements are for building this thing.

Most people just don't have the patience to explain things in detail.

For example, I don't understand what you mean by "gearbox". What sort of gearbox? What does it look like? What purpose does it serve? What exactly does it do?

How about the motor you mention? What type of motor is it? Are we talking about the HAPP motor? Are we talking about any motor with that amount of torque? How about a clothes dryer motor? :)

I suppose I'm more like a child when it comes to these things. If someone doesn't take the time to explain things in every single fine detail, I'm completely lost.

I really hope that some day you guys will have some sort of instruction manual of some sort for people like me :)

He statet somewhat before in the thread that it was a planetary gearbox :) He needs the gearbox because the motor he uses is to "weak" to deliver the force he wants it to deliver. So in order to multiply the force he uses a gearbox, which I assume multiply the force by 3 due to the gearing of the gearbox, but that cost on the rotation speed I guess.

So in short, he's motor is capable of deliver 3,5 Nm and when multiplied by the gearbox it equals 3,5 times 3 = 10,5 Nm.

And it is not the HAPP motor we are talking about here!
He uses another DC motor.

Be aware that I am certainly no expert on the area, all I say can be wrong, so if you have anything to correct, please do!

Upvote 0
That's it Kasper Stoltze...

Lol, I'm french, not easy to explain that in english... To explain the system, you must have on the steering wheel shaft 8-12 Nm torque and a rotation > 200RPM.

To have that, 2 options.

A big AC or DC Brushless servomotor with this torque

http://www.sensodrive.de/eng/produkte/Flyer_SENSO_Wheel_SD_LC_web_e.pdf

Or, a DC brush or brushless motor or AC brushless motor with planetary gearbox or pulley reduction to have this final torque. It's my system.

Your dc motor has just 0.44Nm, it's not enough...

To reduce cost you can use for exemple a Keling dc motor skewed with low cogging,

http://www.kelinginc.net/KL34-180-90.pdf

with a planetary gearbox 1:5

http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-34GH51.pdf

The constant torque of this motor is 1.6 NM and with the planetary gearbox you can have 1.6*5=8Nm

Like my system with a 30A8 AMC driver you can use this motor in current mod.

But the best solution is a big servo-motor with the final torque. For the big servomotor we search a low cost motor. Because the price of a Kollmorgen for exemple with this torque is 1500$.

This motor is certainly OK but it's not sure...

http://www.anaheimautomation.com/pr...item.php?sID=220&serID=10&pt=i&tID=350&cID=27

To drive this motor you can use a VSD-XE Granite Device servo drive. You use the servo drive in torque mode with the Mizoo Blueboard connected to it.

Upvote 0
If you still don't understand that, what he is saying is that the wheel needs to have a motor that is capable of creating enough torque to make the ffb feel believable. According to his calculations, that will take at least 10Nm of torque. Along with that the motor needs to be able to move with sufficient speed to give the feedback quickly and accurately. For this, he is suggesting that you need at least a rotation speed of 200 RPM. I am guessing that the speed requirement is based on him using the 1:3 gearbox which acts as a torque multiplier and in the process reduces the speed of the output to the shaft. The gearbox is just a gear reduction set so that you can use a lesser motor and make the build a little less expensive.

Upvote 0
Less expensive is the way to put it ;)
So I get that is cheaper to buy a lower power motor and add a gearbox to it than buying a high power motor.
Controlling the thing however, you are depandant on the manufacturer for a controller for it, or buy a custom one from Mizoo? And, will the controller, in both cases, work with our favorite sims or do you need to program drivers yourself?

Still interested to see this develop, hopefully by the time I have money to waste there are more affordable options :p

I was considering this as an option to mount my custom steering wheel on, but lets finish that first ;)

Upvote 0
Less expensive is the way to put it ;)
So I get that is cheaper to buy a lower power motor and add a gearbox to it than buying a high power motor.
Controlling the thing however, you are depandant on the manufacturer for a controller for it, or buy a custom one from Mizoo? And, will the controller, in both cases, work with our favorite sims or do you need to program drivers yourself?

Still interested to see this develop, hopefully by the time I have money to waste there are more affordable options :p

I was considering this as an option to mount my custom steering wheel on, but lets finish that first ;)

Yes, that would be my final question as well. I really appreciate all of the info you guys have given us here.It makes our lives a bit easier when searching for what we need.

The only question now is the drivers and controller board. The controller board from Mizoo looks amazing.

@Stef

Which controller board are you using? Where did you get it? How much was it? How about the drivers you are using?

Or, are you using the Mizoo board?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%