My first race rig build, I have the disease :-)

DesKane

dksRacing Kaney
Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of research recently and loving it, and have had sleepless nights over it, getting more and more into iRacing and many other race sims out there, so I thought F**K IT I am gonna take the plunge get involved and invest in a bit of a race rig to give that more immersive experience, I have want and have read about. I AM VERY EXCITED.
I have 2 computers I have built over this last year, 1 more of a gaming build, a small form factor, based around a MiniITX Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe with i5-3570k, but I have also built a bit of a workstation Rig which I think is what I going to sit on this race rig build !! :) I would just like to see how well it powers the monitors and generally just copes with some of the more recent Race Sims out there at the moment. I think I am happy with my choice of hardware combinations, EVERYTHING is on order with some of the kit I already have and on its way, so as it comes I will share with you guys who are interested !?!? just to see how they play with my combination !!!
All in the name of science of course. :geek:

Please let me know what you think!? All feedback very welcome :)

So RIG Ideas and Computer Specs Plus Other Peripherals So Far:-

RACE RIG BUILD
Obutto Revolution Rig……….. NOW rseat RS1 ;-)
Triple Monitor Mount
Articulating Keyboard/Mouse Tray
Acrylic Tabletops

RACE RIG HARDWARE
FANATEC

ClubSport Wheel Base V2
ClubSport Pedals V2
ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5
ClubSport Steering Wheel BMW M3 GT2
Clubsport Steering Wheel Formula Carbon
CSR Elite Pedal Inverted

SIM RACING HARDWARE (SRH)
TACH STAND - Tachometer Max 11.000 rev range
GI-MAX - Digital gear shift indicator
SPI-D - Digital Speedometer

SIMXPERIENCE
x4 Buttkicker Mini LFE SE
SimVibe Software License (Sim Commander 3)

COMPUTER RIG
MOBO - ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme
CPU - Core i7-3930K
RAM - 24GB DOMINATOR Platinum Memory Kit 2133MHz
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-850AXUK Professional Series Gold 850W
GPU - x2 EVGA 3GB GTX780 Classified - (CURRENTLY)
new GPU - MSI GTX 980 GAMING Twin Frozr V 4GB (Maxwell)
MONITORS - x3 Acer Predator XB270HA 27" G-Sync 144Hz
SOUND CARD - Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI-E (for Corsair SP2500)
SPEAKERS - Corsair SP2500 Gaming Speakers Audio System 2.1
SOUND CARD - Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 PCI-E Sound (for x4 ButtKicker Mini LFE SE)
AMPLIFIER - Behringer EPQ304 300W 4 Channel (for x4 ButtKicker Mini LFE SE)

This could be fun !! :p

Last edited:
No surprise that Moxley comes along and disagrees with any post that doesn't praise all Fanatec products. The **** is getting rather old at this point but its asking too much I suppose to just be mature and understand that fanboyism is for pubescent teens.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hahha Cheers Blkout !! I love all the feedbackfellas keep it coming !! Ultimately I will try and go as high as I can reach ………… or as deep as my pockets will allow !! :p

I have gone with this with MSI GTX 980 GAMING Twin Frozr V 4GB (Maxwell) Nvidia PCI Express. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...u-1216mhz-boost-1317mhz-2048-cores-3x-dp-1x-d

WITH A VIEW ……. that IF it doesn't run the x3 monitors well enough at 144HZ g Sync mothers then there maybe a 2nd one to join it in my rig !! I hear what you are saying though Blkout i need x2gpu to run the 3 monitors BUT **** this is supposed to be one of the most powerful cards out there !?!? I comes tomorrow, let me test and feed back to you guys !! I shall be the guinea pig ! :poop: All good though can't want to give it a whirl !

Upvote 0
Three 1080p monitors is actually 5760x1080 resolution which is a LOT of pixels to display. Most people don't realize how much graphics power it takes to run that resolution at high framerates. a GTX 980 is very powerful for a single card but depending which sims you like to play, some are more demanding than others graphically and how much eye candy you like, one card will likely not be enough unless you don't mind reducing some graphics settings to get good framerates.

Upvote 0
You don't absolutely need two 980's, but with the single I was not able to run everything at highest settings, and SLI seems to make a nice difference in AC.

Sadly a lot of race sims are still missing proper SLI support which sucks because just about any other modern game is SLI supported, however AC and iRacing both have some SLI support. All of the older Simbin titles have SLI support until R3E which doesn't yet. GSCE can be forced to use SLI quite well using Nvidia Inspector. The GRID series use SLI properly. rFactor2 is the only racing game I know of that you absolutely don't want to use SLI, it will cut your framerates in half. You have to force single GPU for that game if you have two cards.

Upvote 0
Yeah I read that about rFactor2 Blkout regarding sli …….. Stay away !!!
AC is graphic hungry to say the least, at the moment most of my time is spent in iRacing, R3E, Pcars and GSCExtreme. This is something I think I will have to go through to discover the trade off within my hardware setup and what it is actually capable off and find that sweet spot, until GTX980 number 2 !! :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know Brian, the whole project has emptied my pockets !!
Will it give me what I am looking for immersion wise !¬!?!? time will tell................. I HOPE SO !
its gotta be better than my shitty little hand held ! :p

Upvote 0
The GPU has landed !! :)

Attachments

• GTX980 a.jpg
    GTX980 a.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 287
  • GTX980 b.jpg
    GTX980 b.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0
Hopefully they put monitor connection info in with the GPU. We had a hell of a time figuring out how it should be configured.

Gary without giving it the kiss of death, this should be a piece of piss, this card has x3 Display Port. And thats the main reason for this card really, as the monitors only have display ports. This will hopfully juice them up as best as possible on one GPU, it should work a treat! :confused:

Also in preparation Individual different length DP leads came today also to accommodate the different distances from the PC Rig.

What could possible go wrong :mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Three display ports did not work for me. We thought the card was dead, then we were sure the power supply was dead as it would not start at all with 3 display ports hooked up. One of the connections has to be a Dual Link, other two display ports.

Upvote 0
It sure looks great, and feels great! I'm SO happy with my CSW v2 I could cry a little :p
Only drawback so far is that the wheel is so strong and direct that I find some of the older sims to have crude and annoying FFB, but iRacing and R3E feels amazing! :inlove:
Fantastic Kjell !!! I hope that they hold, up, reading a lot about equipment failure and returns, but I will go with it.
The rest of the kit is not hear now till end of Feb and then the V2 base end of March, then the Obutto Rig Mid March with x4 Transducers on a 5 week turnaround due to demand !!?? Has Everyone gone SimRig Crazy over Christmas !?!

Upvote 0
Hey Moxley, well I am definitely getting that, I hope they are as good as they say, I look forward to getting them setup on the rig, as the last piece of the jigsaw, as it were !! :)

Upvote 0
Just had a day sorting out my old forge, man cave, ESCAPE from the misses, call it what you will, BUT ITS MINE !:p Thought I would share a few pics. Just prepping for the Obutto Rig, Transducers and the rest of the Fantec gear.

'@ Gary Horneck' Finally got round to setting up my 3 monitors this afternoon, I am not aware of your setup mate, but this was an absolute doddle with my GTX980, everything wired through the x3 DisplayPorts :thumbsup:

Attachments

• The outside.jpg
    The outside.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 350
  • The Forge.jpg
    The Forge.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 325
  • Fanatec Shelf.jpg
    Fanatec Shelf.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 3 screen setup.jpg
    3 screen setup.jpg