My fantasy rig (for now)

After seeing so many threads of alu-rigs i decided to give it a crack myself.

3D program: Google Sketchup (dead easy, pretty much all the parts exist as 3d models)
Renderer: Keyshot 3 (looks SICK)

Parts used:
80/20 on Ebay
45x45mm is the only pieces used for now, just started.

(wood is just to get some nice contrast)

As you can see it´s just the start, materials used for the looks are some wood and Titanium.

Will update when there´s progress, still haven´t decided on a few things.

Here´s proof the renderer i use is unreal.

You´ve probably seen images of the Microsoft tablet, Surface.
Turns out all images were 100% renders lol.

microsoft-surface-04-650x365.jpg

microsoft-surface-keyshot1.jpg

microsoft-surface-05-650x365.jpg

Been playing around like crazy now with the renderer and just been picking up free 3d models and just painted them, here are some of my examples, i have about 2% of the knowledge needed to create super realistic images but it does a good job itself on base settings,

The more you tweak, the more realistic it gets. I haven´t even touched the potential yet :D

Now i just need to learn the modelling aspect. I have Spaceclaim and Solidworks on the computer but having a real hard time getting them to work.
Have Catia as well but no luck.

Upvote 0
Nope i basically had to re-format my computer and lost all work but it´s in my head and can easily be re-done in a day now that i know what to do.

I still haven´t really decided on the design, i got this urge to go big or go home meaning something much more advanced :)

I´ll make sure to update when i get something going again :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 17730

Hampus Andersson That's not a good thing to happen when you have everything going as planned. I can't wait to see your ultimate plan...I wish I knew SketchUp well enough to make something like that. Maybe when someone makes one, they'll be able to sell the plans/parts list to users like me who want to build their own but don't have the expertise to use CAD or SolidWorks type software.

Upvote 0
personally my main worry for this, when I'll be designing my own version is that I will struggle to fit motion and traction loss to it as well!
I'd also like my cockpit to be able to have a swinging mouse and keyboard tray so it can be to the side and in front of me!

How hard are those elements to implement do you think?

Upvote 0
personally my main worry for this, when I'll be designing my own version is that I will struggle to fit motion and traction loss to it as well!
I'd also like my cockpit to be able to have a swinging mouse and keyboard tray so it can be to the side and in front of me!

How hard are those elements to implement do you think?
Depends on the systems, if it´s a small one that only lifts the whole thing up 5-10cm then it´s definitely doable, traction loss i have no idea how that system looks.

As far as keyboard tray and mouse that´s easy stuff to implement, this setup might not allow the keyboard and mouse tray to "roll" out below the steering wheel but one could put a swing arm on either side of the seat or make a fixed position somewhere.

I´m lazy so i plan on making one that when fully deployed it´s like sitting at an actual desk in ergonomic terms.

Upvote 0
I don´t think you will learn much by doing that but sure give me a second and i´ll upload it to Dropbox.
-

Made brackets for DSD shifter :) Tomorrow i´ll add the candy from Derek.
Also made a small bar for Thrustmaster´s H-box.

And made a shelf for the computer and maybe other stuff to keep there, will also see if i can make some storage below the rig as well.

Anyone know if it´s any problems taking a regular stationary computer and tip it?
That way i can just squeeze it in below the pedals.

untitled_187.jpg

untitled_190.jpg

Upvote 0
Cool :)

Yea i haven´t used CD/DVD for years now, last computer i bought (present one) i did not even order one as it´s really pointless for me.
I even have Windows 7 on a stick in case i need to re-format.

think i will lay mine down then :)

Upvote 0
Hmm this did not work :) The board is 660mm, 460mm for the keyboard and an extra 100mm for the mouse area.

Probably have to build something behind the rig to get enough clearance.
But then you run into the problem with the swing arm not reach far out enough so you end up with a keyboard tray that´s not parallel.

image.jpg

Edit:

Last two pictures for today,

untitled_192.jpg

untitled_193.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back