My custom Happ-F430 steering wheel

This is my custom Happ-F430 steering wheel...

dsc05134u.jpg

In 2008 I have found this topic...
http://home.comcast.net/~mshaker/marks_arcade_006.htm

So I have decided to make the same thing with an Happ wheel a Logitech Driving force and an AMC 30A8.

This is my first test...

You can compare the two motors. The Happ have a 90V 1.5A motor with belt transmission.

The ratio with the wheel is 2/1. To compare the ratio of the G25 is 1/16...

So the FFB is very stong and smooth...

With the wheel I have added the Bluetiger paddle shifter. And I have inserted the system in a HIFI 2000 Box...

img1635j.jpg

Test ingame with Rfactor Leo Bodnar plugin and CDTP mod. No sound to appreciate the silence...

Now I have changed the electronic of the Logitech Driving Force by the electronic of a F430 Thrustmaster and the system is ok too...

In an french arcade forum, Gameoover Aganyte has made a card to replace the AMC. You can see the topic here...

http://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=20242.0

I have not tested these card yet.

You can use too an immersion card that you can buy at GlobalVR to replace the Logitech or Thrustmaster electronic card and the amplifier The price of the card is 255$...

You can found the drivers for these card here...

http://www.immersion.com/products/touchsense-force-feedback/6000-series/electronics.html

But Immersion has announced the end of these card in december 2010...

So with a cost of approximatly maximum 500 $ (with a new Happ wheel 290$ for exemple, but mine cost 50$), you can have a FFB steering wheel 270° like a VPP...

For sure I have tested the F430 before open it and there is no comparaison with this two wheels. With the Happ system, no grind, FFB very accurate and precise. A very little bump is immediatly feel on the wheel, it's awesome...It's used in Bluetiger and Force Dynamic cockpits...

Another guy test now this system with a DFGT to have 900°. I'll inform you when it will be ok...

Thanks, but my english is not very good. This is a very basic system. Another english guy has make the same thing explained in these topics. Good reading...

http://www.speksnk.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71816

http://moddedbybacteria.freeforums.org/logitech-driving-force-happ-active-ffb-wheel-help-t318.html

Happy to help if you want more informations in this topic for the guys who want to make the mod...

I have just one thing important to say if you use AMC amplifier like me. Don't use the 24V power supply for the Logitech electronic card but a 5 to 12 V power supply. It's better for the amplifier because the electric signal entry to the amplifier must not be over 15V...

For the AMC you can use this power supply.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/250W-24V-10A-Swi...ge_InstallationElectrique&hash=item2a09c68989

Setup the AMC in current mod (See the datasheet of your advanced Motion control in the site) and let's go...

Upvote 0
Hi Stef, im looking to do the same install you outlined above. Im about to order a 30A8 from Ebay, I have the DFGT wheel ready to attack, but instead of purchasing the Happ wheel assembly, im looking to purchase the motor and drive belts seperately, as im installing them into a racecar chassis that has a steering column already. Would you recommend I get the M4000 motor as in the Happ wheel assembly, or would you suggest a different motor? Many thanks for all the information here, its made my install a breeze so far.

Also, is that 24v Power Supply big enough to power the 30A8? Im wanting to ensure i get enough strength from the FFB, as it can always be turned down. Thanks :)

Upvote 0
That's what I remember about the momo. I suppose the DFGT would be the better one to use. Would it be possible to point me to how you wired the DC output from the DFGT's circuit board to the amplifier and then to the Happ wheel? I am in the dark on where you connect the amp to the FFB board.

Derek

Upvote 0
First I have used only 270° FFB wheels Driving Force Logitech and Thrustmaster F430 for the Happ. For the 900° you will have to adapt the Happ because it uses for the Wheel a 270° potentiometer and it have stop bumper for only 270° rotation. It's like the VPP. Another french guy is doing that but his adaptation is not tested yet. I will inform you and how he will made that when the system will be ready.

Second thing I have connected the 2 wires that they go to the logitech or Thrustmaster motor to

+ ref in and -ref in of the AMC amplifier. I have changed the 24VDC transformer of the logitech by a 12VDC because the signal in the AMC must be between 10 and 15V...

Then I have connected the motor to motor + motor-. I used a 24VDC 4A power supply for the AMC.

Setup your AMC in current mod and let's go...

Upvote 0
Hi Stef,

I'm with you on the degrees of rotation. One could use a 10-turn potentiometer in place of one which only goes around less than 360 degrees. Or the user could fit a gear reduction to the potentiometer connection and reduce the wheel's 900 degrees of rotation by a factor of 3.33 and ensure that the potentiometer would still turn 270 degrees - some sensitivity may be lost with that method, though.

As far as the voltage coming out of the Logitech/Thrustmaster board is regarded, I am a bit confused. You are saying, if I am correct, that the voltage from the board to the Logitech/Thrstmast motor is 24 volts. Is this correct? That is the voltage you reduce to 12V by changing the transformer? And the +REF IN, and -REF IN are pins 4 and 5 on the amplifier?

Thanks again for the followup. This is a great and creative idea. I have been thinking that a guy could literally build this from "scratch" and fabricate the frame and steering shaft. He could get the belt drive assembly and motor on his own, and then even buy his own racing wheel. There are many possibilities with this solution.

Let me ask, too, if there are any other mainstream FFB controller boards available. While using a donor Logitech DFGT wheel is perfectly fine, an alternate solution would incorporate a commercially available FFB controller. This is new stuff for me, so pardon my lack of understanding.

Cheers,

d

EDIT - Try this ten turn potentiometer:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=3590S-2-104L-ND

What is the required RPM and torque of the motor you use? I have found some pretty powerful 24 volt motors.

Upvote 0
To use the DFGT, the only solution is to use the optic system of the DFGT wheel and adapt it to the Happ and to have a system to stop the wheel in 900° for the calibration.

For the voltage the Logitech Board must be powered by a 9-12vdc power supply (I have changed the transformer).

Yes, réf in - and Ref in + are pins 4 et 5 on the amplifier.

The Happ motor is a 90VDC 1.5A.

There is another solution for the controller board, use directly the GlobalVR FFB card (270° only) plug and play for the Happ. But his price is 385$...

Upvote 0
The adventure continues...

New wip by Toto44, connect a DFGT card to a happ or a Sega "InitialD 5" wheel...

Virtual calibration made by Arduino card and rotation could go 270° to 3,8 rotations (512CPR by lap in this last configuration), all the steering rotation configurations made by Arduino card. The stop bumpers are not helpful with this configuration...He he, Corvette 1961 3,4 steering wheel rotations lock to lock will come true...

To be continued...

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 237 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%