1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

"Must use both tyre compounds, DSQ" on last lap, no prior warning?

Discussion in 'F1 2013 - The Game' started by IHazABone, May 14, 2014.

1. I just got DSQ's for the first time ever for not using both tyre compounds. There was zero information that I needed to, and during the race, absolutely nothing. It was just a "You have been black flagged, the race is over, head back to the pits" from the engineer at the start of the 74th lap.

Excuse my vulgar language, but;
    What the ******, guys [Codemasters]. Good job informing players of rules nobody's heard of.

Okay, sorry. I'm just a bit pissed that they let me set the pit strategy as all primes, run 73 laps (taking nearly two hours total) and then DSQ me on the final lap without warning.

mod edit - swearing removed

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  2. To be honest, that rule has been in F1 for a while now.

I'm guessing they assumed everyone who plays an F1 game, has seen a race in the last 6 years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

You normally get a warning when on track about this, so that should have happened

However there would also be a warning about the tyre strategy when the strategy was created, which you would have to click through to override.

In the end it was still human error ....... c'est la vie :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

I'm positive the engineer tells you you have to change tyre compounds if you havent, and i think there is also an on-screen warning.
    If you have him turned off you still should have been given the on-screen warning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have the engineer on, though quiet, and there was most definitely no warning during the strategy planning or race.

6. I've been watching for around three years now, and although I admit I don't follow it religiously, I've never seen or heard of this.

7. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

As there has been no refuelling for a while, they had to ensure there were still pit stops, to maintain a bit of excitement. So the tyres are designed to have a limited life, with the softer tyre aiming to be about 1 second a lap faster than the harder one ...... but it wears out quicker.

The strategy of deciding what tyre suits your car is complicated by the rules stating that each of the 2 tyre types MUST be used during a (dry) race. The softer of the 2 compounds is called the Option tyre, and the harder of the the 2 compounds is called the Prime tyre.

If it rains and they have to change to intermediate or wet tyres, then that requirement is cancelled.

There is a range of tyres available from very soft to very hard, depending on what track your are racing at, determines what 2 compounds are taken to that race (for all teams).

** Note, I am not sure that Codmasters totally matched the real world tyre choice, as they finalise the game mid-season.

Colour Codes

Hard - Orange
    Medium - White
    Soft - Yellow
    Super Soft - Red
    Intermediate - Green
    Wet - Blue

2013 tyres/track

Australia - medium, supersoft
    Malaysia - hard, medium
    China - medium, soft
    Bahrain - hard, medium