F1 2010 "Mushy" steering in career mode

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
I finally learned barhain enough to start my career mode. However, I noticed something weird: the steering in career mode seems to be "mushier" than it is when I play regular GP mode.

The results seem to reflect that too, since in GP mode I always qualify toward the top while in career mode I just don;t seem to be able to put in a decent lap time.

Now, I understand that in career mode your car makes a difference. I am using the lotus (just because it's the only one I ahve hacked the FOV of so far) and I read that this cur stinks up the place.

In any event, I would love the expert to clarify this for me.
I am using a G25 wheel set at 350degrees (in the Logitec controller) In game I have it set all at 100% with FFB at 45%.

What the steering does is this: everywhere in the game the steering seems to be less than precise. But in GP at least it''s drivable.
In career mode I seem to have a huge dead zone, a wider lock to lock and just simply less "snappiness" to the steering. No precision. it feels like the steering column was suddenly made of rubber. Poor quality rubber.

By the way, I changed the FOV to 55 (if I recall - I have bee trying several) seeking an FOV that gave me a decent sense of speed. I checked my favorite FOV in my other games, but they seem to be all over the place. 75 in race 07, 60 in GTR2 and so forth.

What FOV do you guys prefer?

In Career mode you earn upgrades to your car by doing R&D throughout the season, whereas in GP mode you have them all to start with. That could be why you're finding the first career race so much harder.

Agree with post above. Lotus is much slower than say a tier 1 car in GP mode. "Mushy" steering could be understeer.
You will need to work a bit on setups to get the Lotus at its best. The good new is that it will improve with R and D upgrades.
However fighting for a points finish is realistic in a Lotus no?
You will find that on some tracks you will be much more competitive than others. esp Montreal, Valencia and some others. We all get thrashed in Catalunya.
Your car will be upgraded in Performance to the next tier at season end if the team does well in Constructors.
Depending on the key bit of software called "the driver" the Lotus can get several podiums and win races in season 2 against Legend AI.
Do your best and enjoy the Career experience of building the cars performance. You can take it to the big guys in season 2.
Pole in Monza was cool.

Mushy steering

Interesting. I have heard of "legend AI" but I am not sure I understand what it is.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I was aware that you had to earn "R&D upgrades" as you proceed. I didn't think itwould affect the steering precision, but it must. There is a definite difference. Also, I think the braking is affected. My braking zone is definitely longer than the other cars.

I'll be curious to see what I do in Catalunya. In GP mode I finished 3rd in a 30% race and I basically learned the track and the car during the first part of the race (I know Catalunya from GTR2, but I noticed that beside generally knowing where the turns are, it's like racing a brand new track in F1 2010).

At least now that I know that I won;t beat myself up for the lousy performance. I was starting to wonder if I was regressing or something.

Although this won't effect the steering "mushyness", you have the travel set way too high to achieve exact like for like wheel motion to the in game wheel. It's 200 degrees travel if you want it correct. This is easier for you if you change gears with full lock on, as you will be able to use the paddles without your hands crossing over each other.

Corrado
With respect to your response:
"Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I was aware that you had to earn "R&D upgrades" as you proceed. I didn't think itwould affect the steering precision, but it must. There is a definite difference."
I'm sorry if my explanation was misleading. R&D upgrades won't per se greatly affect handling. Although I guess Downforce improvements would a bit. Really its setup that will impact turn-in. Thats what I mean when I say:
"Mushy" steering could be understeer.
You will need to work a bit on setups to get the Lotus at its best.

Thanks for the clarification, but I think I understood what you meant for the start. In fact, yesterday I did a race in career mode in Australia (a track I know better) and while I got my clock cleaned in career mode I won the race in GP mode. And the car was definitely much better in the GP race with more precise steering, better handling and so forth. Using the same set up, by the way.

Anyway, having some tire temperatures would be nice since I use the R2P setup software but I was able to make the car handle a lot better with a bit of setup work. Still far from being able to win a race in career mode but much better. Thanks

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 214 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 215 14.4%