Mugello v2.3 CG beta 1

Hi all,
I am releasing Mugello greatly enhanced for Cg Racer versions. it is very w.i.p. still, but as there isn't a lot of Cg track content out there, and Mugello's looking great if you don't look too hard for faults, I thought I'd give u all a christmas present.

Some highlights are almost every model remade, new textures, bumpmapping, 3d trees & treelines with wind movement (they sway in the wind, not fart), moving clouds, Cg shaders and a darn good drive at the very least. There's a very good reason Ferrari use this as a test track.

In the console you can use clouds & sunny to control the cloudcover. i.e. clouds 0 & sunny 1 will give you a sunny day, clouds 1 & sunny 0 will give you overcast, clouds 0.5 & sunny 0.5 gives you some clouds.

NOTE: When Ruud releases Racer 0829, you will need to change the track.ini version= line to read 'version=090' or the track won't load.

Download:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/racer-tracks-73/mugello-v2-3-beta-1-3928/

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year

& remember if your going to drink & drive, do it in Racer only please.

Attachments

• screenshot002.jpg
    screenshot002.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 408
  • screenshot083b1.jpg
    screenshot083b1.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 466
The grass looks kinda plain, but everything else looks fantastic. I look forward to trying it :)

The grass looks kinda plain, but everything else looks fantastic. I look forward to trying it :)

Only in the screenies, you'd be surprised. I can do better, I will do better in time, but its still far better 'as is' than anything else out there, especially for the price ;)

And before anyone comments, yes the grass on the intrack area IS really green, the year the track was modelled on, they spraypainted the grass for the GP. Thats realism for ya.

Thanks Alex. Mugello's my favorite track to drive, bit of everything, and a few hair raising corners.

With the trees, it's more the modeler's dilema, I want them to look real.
And I only want to use one poly each. If I have to.

It's more I know how to ceate the same looking tree, but using less poly's each, but then I have to replant all of them again. One day soon I'll have the motivation, but I've moved onto other todo things for now. Still lots to do before I'll be happy to call it a final.

The clouds CG shader crashes. I'll try without it..

Code:
Sat Dec 25 20:55:10 (INFO): [racer/3336] Loading track 'mugello_v2.3b1'
Sat Dec 25 20:55:45 (WARN): [racer/3336] DGPUShaderManager:MakeObject(data/tracks/mugello_v2.3b1/cg\clouds_f.cg): can't create CG fragment shader program
Sat Dec 25 20:55:45 (WARN): [racer/3336] DGPUShader::LoadAndCreateFromFile[data/tracks/mugello_v2.3b1/cg\clouds_f.cg]: The compile returned an error.
Sat Dec 25 20:55:45 (WARN): [racer/3336]   data/tracks/mugello_v2.3b1/cg\clouds_f.cg(126) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float4" to "float3"
data/tracks/mugello_v2.3b1/cg\clouds_f.cg(126) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float4" to "float3"
(0) : error C6003: Arithmetic instruction limit of 64 exceeded; 68 arithmetic instructions needed to compile program
Sat Dec 25 21:03:27 (FATAL): [racer/3336] DGPUShaderManager:MakeObject(data/tracks/mugello_v2.3b1/cg\clouds_f.cg): can't create CG fragment shader program
The compile returned an error.
data/tracks/mugello_v2.3b1/cg\clouds_f.cg(126) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "float4" to "float3"
(0) : error C6003: Arithmetic instruction limit of 64 exceeded; 68 arithmetic instructions needed to compile program
Sat Dec 25 21:03:38 (FATAL): [racer/3336] Exception 0xC0000005, flags 0, Address 0x004F99E2
(this dialog text is stored in QLOG.txt)

EDIT: loaded without clouds_f.cg, but the colors look strange.. might be a GPU issue?

Seems pretty nice, but the FPS really hurt here.

It probably just needs optimising but there are some stupendously huge textures which could probably be about 8x smaller in many cases... mainly all the grass/sand/rsa mixing ones etc, which generally look like repeating information.

I'm not sure if the reason they are like that is because of the original mesh work constraining you to use textures of such a large size, but I'd investigate chopping up the polygons and refining it lots. Those RSA > sand transitions don't actually look that good considering the textures as 2048x2048 for each sand and RSA part...

Obviously it's nice to try bring old tracks up to nice new standards, but sometimes I guess it means getting in there and rebuilding bits to do the job really nicely, but then it does take a lot of time... tough compromise to get right, but I'd probably argue you should not try get such transitions perfect, and just get it looking richer and run really fast fps :D

Dave

Seems pretty nice, but the FPS really hurt here.

It probably just needs optimising but there are some stupendously huge textures which could probably be about 8x smaller in many cases... mainly all the grass/sand/rsa mixing ones etc, which generally look like repeating information.

I'm not sure if the reason they are like that is because of the original mesh work constraining you to use textures of such a large size, but I'd investigate chopping up the polygons and refining it lots. Those RSA > sand transitions don't actually look that good considering the textures as 2048x2048 for each sand and RSA part...

Obviously it's nice to try bring old tracks up to nice new standards, but sometimes I guess it means getting in there and rebuilding bits to do the job really nicely, but then it does take a lot of time... tough compromise to get right, but I'd probably argue you should not try get such transitions perfect, and just get it looking richer and run really fast fps :D

Dave
Could be because its a 'very WIP BETA release'.
I'm sure I've stated that somewhere ;) Also texture size doesn't seem to have any bearing on fps, try changing the max texture settings in racer.ini, fps doesn't change much if u try smaller than 2048, at least it doesn't for me.

I don't expect anything less than a current spec PC to be able to run it, I DID design it that way, why make content thats out of date in a month or two.

I remember Swiss Stroll being the same?

At least I've released something, instead of just yapping about stuff.

why make content thats out of date in a month or two.

Agreed.

With so much of the current racer content being of questionable quality something that is, if anything, too good, is very welcome.

I can still get up around 70 frames a second even on a graphics card that would look out-of-date in a museum of prehistoric artefacts.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 279 13.5%