Much faster in a FWD

Hey,

Kinda doubling this as an intro thread, just got myself signed up for a license and looking forward to racing online :)

Not too long ago when I was using a flight stick for Race 07 I ran a race at Curitiba in the WTCC 07 cars (Honda Accord) at 90% difficulty. I struggled a bit in qualifying but easily won the race. Now that I have a G27 I set up a race at Brands Hatch with the F3000 at 90% and got my ass handed to me. I figured this was because I was not used to the faster car so had another go with the Formula BMW, again I was beaten pretty bad. A whole 7 seconds off pole position actually.

So at this point I can't work out if I'm not used to the wheel or if I just suck at open wheelers. I set up another race with the Honda Accord this time at Brands Hatch, again at 90% difficulty and this time get the pole position time in my second qualifying lap (a 1:37). I thought this just means I am better with the touring cars however I tried the BMW 320si in practice and I struggle to get a 1:41. It seems to me then that I am faster in a FWD car. Is this normal? I always thought the RWD was better and quicker in a race.

I have not been using any aids and I used the clutch and H-Shifter with the BMW as that is more accurate. I know its not my skill with the H-Shifter as I also tried the 6-Speed sequential version from the STCC as well as the Mercedes from the STCC and in both I was struggling for a 1:41. Also I tried using auto clutch in the 5-Speed version and if anything did worse, I was going off the track quite a bit :S

Sorry for the massive wall of text, especially in a first post but this is something that really bothers me, and something I need to fix before I go online and either get destroyed by the competition or accidentally crash and ruin someone else's race.

Thanks for the setup tips Marcus, I will try that out.

Also I agree Rupe. I thought the CSL being a 5 speed in a fixed geaing class would mean it's unbalanced but it just isn't and they are all fun in their own way.

As for tracks, I am running Curitiba, Knutstorp (this one will really test me in the Corvette), Road America, Laguna Seca and Brands Hatch. Afterwards though I'll run Oschershleben as a one off. I've never driven that track before either so that will be fun.

I have to warn you, Oschershleben might not be so fun. I find it tedious, boring and frustrating.. The corners are so long and tight, there's very few places to really floor it. It takes patience.. A lot of it. But that corner type needs to be in control.

Thanks for letting me know about the track Rupe. I've been enjoying the hill climbs with the retro pack but that looks -exactly- like what I want for these cars. The setups are a nice bonus too as that whole side of it still seems like rocket science to me.

Also, Marcus do you mean a lot of negative camber on the rear or the front?

Already downloading :)

I'll try both that and Machwerk out later. Ever since I went to a Hill Climb near where I live;run by a historic car club a couple of weeks ago, I've been obsessed with this kind of racing. So this is great that I can do it in a sim.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back