1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mt Panorama for RF2?

Discussion in 'Team ORSM' started by David O'Reilly, Oct 19, 2014.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.

I have huge respect for your work and have a long relationship with Mt Panorama.
    My father grew up in Bathurst.
    I won a schoolboys cross country event running the mountain in 1976.
    Ive ridden it on a quick road bike.
    and attended several meetings there incl the 1987 1000.
    My Uncle raced in various classes including an XU1 in the 70s running as high as 5th before blowing a conrod on .........you guessed it.
    I live in the UK now and driving the mountain is very atmospheric for me.

My point?
    Sorry for waffling.
    I was wondering if there is any chance that you will do an R Factor 2 conversion or authorise one?
    The RF2 Club Scene is getting stronger all the time and I miss the mountain.
    We did a race in GT3 on an excellent version but later discovered it was not authorised so now its gone.
    Your consideration would be appreciated.
    I will highlight
    Edit #2
    I hope its more helpful than annoying but here is the live broadcast.

I repeat that RD have removed the track and are not running races there anymore since we found it was unauthorised.
    I am running a Porsche 911 GT3 in a tribute livery to Brock and Perkins. (P3 overall)
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. The hope is to live ...

In french : L'espoir fait vivre ...
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly

Sorry I don't understand?
  4. JeffL

Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good. Premium Member

Hope is alive? Maybe
  5. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly

How are you guys feeling about this subject.

It's your work and its a great work. Many are now driving RF2. Wouldn't it be a nice thing if the fruit of your labours could see itself in RF2.
    Many drivers will then be able to enjoy this great track?

If the answer is a resounding no just tell me.
    If there is something you want done to help things along let me know?
    Whats the issue?
    For example do you want some hand picked guys to do it justice? If so Ill go and find them.

6. It is a great track for sure but from what I understand of rF2 with HDR it would be a far better direction to start from fresh.
    The modelling needs a lot more poly and textures need a new approach to what was done in rFactor.
    To convert this one and maintain high quality would "probably" require a near on total rebuild anyway.

I realize there are rFactor tracks that are already converted to rF2 and maybe there are 1 or 2 that are reasonable but would you think this track deserves better?

This question has been asked a dozen times and no real answer.
    There are really capable track builders out there. I'm surprised that someone hasn't already started building this track.
    Or have and are smart enough to have stayed out of the public till it's ready for release.
  7. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly

The track was converted and we raced it in RF2 before ORSM pointed out it was unauthorised.
    The video is above in this thread. The track conversion is actually very good.
    With some polish by the top RF2 builders it could be one of the best.

4 months and no reply?
  8. jimortality

Premium Member

Excuse my ignorance on this subject but am I to assume that ORSM got in contact with the owners of Bathurst and asked their permission to build the track for whatever game they were involved with? and all the other games developers do the same, probably paying x amount for the priviledge.
  9. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly

I dont know Jim,
    All I know is they built the RF1 track and own the intellectual rights to their own work.
  10. jimortality

Premium Member

No I don't know either.
  11. Yeah. I knew about the conversion a long time ago. Krunch was informed at that time.
    The quality of the conversion is questionable.
    It's not something that we as groups (league) used to use converted content that was not done with permission. It was once really frowned upon.
    We can't set your PC to blow it's hard drive if you do use it. Mod groups rely on peoples own morals to see the reasons why mod teams hate their work ripped in any way shape or form.
    Those that do it are weak useless crap that haven't got the balls to build things themselves, though we know why. It's not like they lack the talent generally.
    The same reason mod teams are disappearing, not doing stuff for public release.

I've even found the cars from Unleashed in rF2. This conversion is "far" from anything worth even looking at. To those that are using it. Their just crap, The conversion is total crap and I'm glad it is.

For those that are now building cars and track for rF2, Make damn sure you give it to Tim at ISI to get encrypted before "any" public release. Version 0.xx.

And those that are modding AC. Your content is wide open. AC has refused to give modders their encryption and as of a month ago they where not offering to do it for you.
  12. Do you think every car that has been modded has gotten approval for the use of the car from the manufacturer or the tyre company for the use of it's tyres?

It's easy to get around the official/licensing of a track that is why RF2's Interlagos is called Sao Paulo. Just don't call the track Mount Panorama Circuit and your pretty safe. So long as the track is replicated and not derogatory e.g. billboard for redtube next to a billboard for Supercheap I would find it very unlikely that any sponsor would have an issue. Bit of a difference when your not actually making any money from it.
  13. Does ORSM even exist anymore?
  14. they stopped at V8 Supercars 2012, shame really I liked their cars as did a lot of other people but they had to much work gathering by some of the other comments
  15. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly

This is a question at front of mind for me.
    The original post here respectfully requests that they give their view on the subject of a conversion to RF2 of their great work.
    Many tracks used in RF2 are actually conversions from RF1.
    Many are group efforts. A good example is the Nordschliefe 24 hours. One group started it and got it to a reasonable standard, another finished it off and added it to (with permission) yet another existing track- the GP circuit.
    This collaboration is a great example of how good it can end up.

Its 6 months since I posted the question and no reply. from ORSM.
    I have also written to Krunch by PM to have a chat about what we can do to get an authorised conversion done. Also no reply.

So rather than let this great work stay unavailable (officially that is, BTW I see it on the server matchmaker so some are using it, just not the conscientious ones) in RF2. I think it might be good to pose the question; Does ORSM effectively exist any more?
    Do they have a problem with the track being driven in RF2?

Am I unreasonable in thinking that if there is no response from a ORSM team member in a month or so that they either do not mind or that they no longer exist as an entity and therefore it's ok anyway?

Not sure what to do really.
    Please ORSM, let us know what would make you happy to get this great work into RF2.
  16. I am pretty sure they don't exist anymore, people who have recently joined rfactor have no idea who team ORSM is
  17. I'd have to agree that's it's been a while and Still-Bacon has posted here during this time but for what ever reason hasn't answered this thread. Or has at one point but that post has been removed??
    I stand by what I said and as a former ORSM member I would think they wouldn't want another group converting it to rF2.
    To be honest I would have thought Krunch would have done the track himself already. Maybe he has and isn't convinced rF2 is working at it's full capacity ATM so is holding back. If this is the case then he should let you know either here or just by PM.

What to do? Unknown. I guess if it's a very good conversion, updated textures. Road texture and so on. Added poly to road surface.
    I wouldn't do it but as you say, that hasn't stopped others from doing a crap job of it.
  18. Admittedly, rF2 doesn't appear to have the anywhere the numbers of dedicated simmers to what rF1 did have in it's day. So I wouldn't be too surprised if that has something to do with it, and it turn, the lack of motivation to see a scratch built Bathurst for rF2 come to fruition.

If that's the case, hopefully either ORSM or the Community (with ORSM's permission) can give the original one a quick polish and get it out there for a release for rest of us to enjoy. No doubt a scratch built Bathurst would be a mammoth task for anyone. Let alone for Modders that probably have busy family lives.

Anyway, here's hoping someone from ORSM can chime in and give us an update to where they think they might be at with it, or where they'd like to take it in future.
  19. Part of the issue is that there seems to be more inclination to convert Rf1 content to RF2 than to build new content from scratch (to implement the new features and technology)
  20. Yup, the odds of seeing a scratch built Bathurst for rF2 seems hell greater than the rF1 converted one making it into the game (at this stage). To me (and probably most), something is better than nothing. And lets be honest, no other version of Bathurst comes close to being accurate like ORSM's one.