1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving the Australian Grand Prix Poll

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Eric Jaeger, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Eric Jaeger

Eric Jaeger
    2012 GP2 Champion

Even though I do like the track at Melbourne, I think a better venue for Formula 1 in Australia would be the track at Philip Island. Although the track doesn't lend itself to a lot of overtaking opportunities, I think this would be a real driver's track with its fast flowing turns...(that and I'm tired of all these street circuits they keep adding). Just looking for some feedback on this idea or if you have another track in Australia in mind feel free to share.

2. the answer is no for me, because the layout is not long enough and plus multiple saftey fences and chicanes have to be installed as well

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eric Jaeger

Eric Jaeger
    2012 GP2 Champion

Why do chicanes have to be installed? It's supposed to be a fast track.

4. and speed can sometimes be a safety issue

5. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

The choice of track has very little to do with the flow or character of the track, it's all about money and politics. I'd say there is almost zero chance of it ever moving to Phillip Island (great track that it is though).
    The bigger question is whether Australia will continue to host a F1 GP into the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. i like Albert Park track from sim racing but F1 drivers irl dont really like it much, its average track overall although superb environment with lot of F1 worshipers
    in the opposite of noob people on Singapor, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi...
    Bernie should add Philips Islands in the championship but remove these Tilke's horors

7. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

Obviously not. Phillip Island is a terrible circuit, not suited for F1 at all. Why would you want to move it from Albert Park, it is one of the few circuits on the F1 calendar that produces good races regularly?

8. Monaco is not suited for F1 however its on calendar
    if FIA makes strict specifications, there will be roughly a third of championship where F1 wouldnt race on
    i think Phillips Islands looks very similar to Mugello which Ferrari owns for some tests, Fernando Alonso admits it would be nice if F1 goes on Mugello
    but some drivers like Petrov warned about the danger of such fast track
    but its opinion from pussy drivers

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't think Philip Island is suited for F1. How about Adelaide or (I know it is crazy... BUT) Bathurst.

10. Eric Jaeger

Eric Jaeger
    2012 GP2 Champion

I'd like to move it cause I think Albert Park is a terrible track and the races I've seen there haven't been that good. IMO I don't think any street circuit is "suited" for a formula 1 car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eric Jaeger

Eric Jaeger
    2012 GP2 Champion

Of course speed is a safety issue but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that noboby gets into racing cause it's safe. I guess I got that old school kind of mentality of risking it all to win.

12. Howard

Howard
    Staff Emeritus | Engineer at Manor Racing Premium Member

Philip Island is a FIA Grade 3 track, I believe F1 tracks have to be Grade 2 or above.

13. Err, not to sound disrespectful or question your knowledge, but I thought F1 could only race at grade one tracks.

14. Howard

Howard
    Staff Emeritus | Engineer at Manor Racing Premium Member

I think it's Grade 1 for a race and Grade 2+ for testing, I seem to remember. Jerez is Grade 2.

• Beer Beer x 1
  15. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

• Like Like x 1