Motion simulator cockpits

Hey guys, a bit of help here please.

I really fancy getting a motion sim rig, but I don't have a lot of technical knowledge. There are a few out there with crazy price tags etc which I'm not too keen to pay for as its more for the fun factor rather than serious racing.

I have been told the free system is quite decent but does anybody else have any input/ideas?

Let me know thanks

Back to the drawing board then. I'm going to try and post to see if anyone out there will build a basic motion rig for me. I think I would be safer that way to get it right.

Thanks for all the help and advice
It's still a lot about your budget really. DIY isn't always cheaper. the actuators are the most expensive bit and they are around $400 each. I'll drop you a message anyway..always good to get more people 'moving' ;)

Upvote 0
Really that bad?

Dreadful customer support
No interest in looking after loyal/existing clients
Very slow to update their SCM software
Unreliable components
Poor design on various critical items
Due to location of company everything takes forever to send back/get delivered

It's a shame as it was the best you could get at the time. Thankfully over the last year or two I've managed to replace and convert to initially X-Sim, then SimCommander and now running the E69 Motion software which is superb. The SCM controllers were dreadful, rarely did you ever get to the point where you could just power it up and it worked straight away. Then add in them failing completely due to "static damage" and having to send them back to Japan, again, for repairs.. only for them to fail again a week later and I gave up! The RS485 conversion is cheap, easy and works 100% of the time!

The v1 wheel got better when they admitted it wasn't right and brought out a modification (that you had to buy!) that added a clutch and cooling. With a lot of breaking down, rebuilding and using different components the brakes are OK now too. The new stuff looks much better though and significantly cheaper than it used to be, just a shame there's no upgrade path.

Once you've tried motion you won't want to go back, it's unbelievable :)

Upvote 0
Wow. Amazing. I have looked about now and have decided frex is out the equation. Set my sights on a simxperience setup of some kind.

Will just need to see how it goes in terms of time and budget ( getting the costs past the wife haha)

Can't wait. Like I say I don't want to use it to get quicker etc. just to enjoy the full experience. Shame there hasn't been anybody in Scotland with a motion set up so far. Would love to try one before I commit.

Upvote 0
You'll be slower normally, when you add in the high end wheel & pedals it gets even slower too! Far more realistic though :) If you're planning a trip to Spain for a holiday you could try mine ;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 126 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 99 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.7%
  • < 5 years