DiRT 4 More DiRT 4 Previews Break Cover

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT Rally 4 - 5.jpg

With today marking the announcement by Codemasters of DiRT 4, yet more preview images from the new game have surfaced on the internet showing off the impressive visuals of a title that has aroused more than a little conversation amongst our sim racing community.

DiRT 4 has been pitched to the gaming public as a cross between the hugely successful simulation focussed DiRT Rally and more arcade orientated DiRT 3 release, with several forms of offroad racing due to be represented in the new game. Judging from the comments over on our announcement article, it appears the traditional rally portion of the game is attracting the most interest from RD readers, and luckily that is the area of the game the newly released images seem to mostly cover.

Across these five new screenshots we can see the new for DiRT 4 Kartcross machine in action on one of the Rallycross circuits in game, a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6, a Ford Fiesta Rallycross vehicle in unlicensed fictional liveries and probably of most interest a Subaru Impreza R4 from 2016 - a new addition to the DiRT franchise. Also expected to be making an appearance in the game will be the Peugeot 208 R5. Other cars, locations and formats of racing are yet to be revealed outside of the traditional rally mode, Rallycross, Kartcross, Trucks and Buggy disciplines.

Other confirmed goodies due to be added to the upcoming title include cross-platform multiplayer by default, with both Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC joining together on the game leadboards for the very first time, coupled with a new PvP multiplayer rally feature that allows groups of up to eight players starting on stage at the same time, effectively allowing you to run a "live" rally and revolutionising the way multiplayer works within the new release.

Something that was missing from DiRT Rally and left the game all the worse for it is now due to make an appearance in DiRT 4 - in offline mode you will see broken down cars by the side of the road, with your crew giving you an audio warning before you encounter the obstruction on stage. This is only a relatively minor addition to the title, but something that makes a welcome addition and adds to the immersion of competing in a full blown rally event.

Also confirmed to be making a change in the new title will be the removal of the "instant-finish" way stages end in the current release. Now when you cross the line, you retain control the car until the Time Control area. This will require the player to not simply accelerate across the line but to moderate your speed in anticipation of stopping the car in the correct area at stage end, somewhat similar to RBR.

DiRT Rally 4 - 4.jpg
DiRT Rally 4 - 3.jpg
DiRT Rally 4 - 2.jpg
DiRT Rally 4 - 1.jpg

DiRT 4 will be available for Windows PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 June 2017.

Check out our DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions regarding the latest edition to the DiRT Rally franchise of games. Get yourself over to the new sub forum today and join in the discussion!

Looking forward to DiRT 4? Do you think the game will be closer in feeling to the previous DiRT Rally release or closer to the more quick fire fun oriented DiRT 2 and 3 games? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Ok I see they have taken some idea's on board like the Flying finish is no longer a cut screen you now have to stop at the marshal's point after stage end.

Damage still looks like its has no real affect on the cars performance , their were a few big impacts there that would have resulted in busted radiators & some suspension damage in real life.

I noticed that you now come along broken down cars on the stages that is nice touch.
Hard to tell how it drives from the Videos its look like a pad was been used for most of the Rally car stuff the way the wheel way flapping about.

More important for me is the so call hardcore mode.

Here Codies need to raise there game , I would like to a more in depth set up screen more setting with real world ranges.
Also real failures ie loosing boost , or engine management issue's , those and the many other things that can fail has the do in real life.

Another big one Tire selection very much needed Slicks , Snow , Ice , inters & full wets & their compounds.
I understand its means modeling four types of tires & all the animation that is required but really it is already in their F1 games, and has been standard in every other sim for decades

You really should have the narrow studded ice tire for Sweden what we have had to the date is Codies cutting corners on that side of things.
Still that said we have not seen that part of the game yet & now they have some current WRC drivers helping I really hope they address those issue's if they really want to make a full fleshed out hardcore or sim mode they have to add such items.

I would guess that it will ship with basic car classes and the tasty items like Group B & some of the current WRC cars will be the standard paid for DLC content .

That is how they have ship every version of Dirt since day one standard content plus DLC. do not see them changeling that sale system.

You are aware that they don't use the narrow studded tires on the modern WRC's right? And the cars(2001 Focus/Impreza etc) that used them actually has them in DR.

You are aware that they don't use the narrow studded tires on the modern WRC's right? And the cars(2001 Focus/Impreza etc) that used them actually has them in DR.
Ok I stand corrected on that one, I admit I lost contact with the WRC until the start of this year I did not real enjoy the last decade or so but find the new rules interesting & want to see how they develop now.
But still there is no tire options within Dirt so far or the options to drop tire pressures.
I would just like to see a more expanded simulation mode I do not expect miracles though .
I come from the old Group 4 & Group B & A era so that is more my interest . though I think the modern cars are amazing pieces Hi Tech & less dangerous to drive.
Thanks for the correction I must take closer look at the current tire been used.

Ok I stand corrected on that one, I admit I lost contact with the WRC until the start of this year I did not real enjoy the last decade or so but find the new rules interesting & want to see how they develop now.
But still there is no tire options within Dirt so far or the options to drop tire pressures.
I would just like to see a more expanded simulation mode I do not expect miracles though .
I come from the old Group 4 & Group B & A era so that is more my interest . though I think the modern cars are amazing pieces Hi Tech & less dangerous to drive.
Thanks for the correction I must take closer look at the current tire been used.

No worries :)

I agree though, I would also like tire choices.

Some gameplay with someone who actually can keep the car on the road.

I hope that's not the full sim mode being used... Looks more sketchy than DR to me. Not that we can trust early footages anyway. Still hope it will be a step forward compared to DiRT Rally physics-wise.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that locking out the hardcore mode is absolutely the worst idea. If that will be the case with the final product, there is no need to say where this all is going to. Also, I hope D4 retains the ability to just try a particular car on a particular stage without unlocking anything.

Last edited:
I hope that's not the full sim mode being used... Looks more sketchy than DR to me. Not that we can trust early footages anyway. Still hope it will be a step forward compared to DiRT Rally physics-wise.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that locking out the hardcore mode is absolutely the worst idea. If that will be the case with the final product, there is no need to say where this all is going to. Also, I hope D4 retains the ability to just try a particular car on a particular stage without unlocking anything.

What do you mean by locking out the hardcore mode?

well, pre-alpha stage, i suppose that bit is still so raw they do not want to present it to the public. also: how many chaps at a games presentation would actually be able to make full use of it anyway?
That is all valid points, but seeing the videos makes me doubtful whether Codemasters are being frank with us on the simulation side of things. I will still wait for the product to get released before coming to a solid conclusion.

That is all valid points, but seeing the videos makes me doubtful whether Codemasters are being frank with us on the simulation side of things. I will still wait for the product to get released before coming to a solid conclusion.
Yes, it's very early to be sure about it. But I supose/hope if Dirt Rally is a little step into simulation, Dirt 4 will be equal or better. Now you also can see a few great details that can made us hopeful.... Crossed fingers! :whistling:

So is this the engine they mentioned they were working on earlier last year? Was kind of hoping with their next title (after DR) they'd do an open beta/early access again. Even if it still has its shortcomings, look at how much DR changed (for the better) from the beginning of EA to the end of it. If needed, would they do a revision of physics on a title after release? Still sounds like no proper replays/demos. Hope it's optimized better than DR was.

From what I've read on CM's forums, there are no real life stages in the game. The stages run in career mode are always the same, but those are still generated, like in your stage mode. Not a big deal to me, but it is for some not to have real stages. Getting a little chuckle now about all the people since DR was released that were positive we'd have 20, 30km+ stages in the next game.

One thing that would be amazing if they could bring back from the dirt game would be the Dakar discipline.. Imagine real or random generated tracks in the sand dunes with a 20 minute stage or so, how cool wouldn't that be? Other than that let all other disciplines that were present in the previous iterations of the Dirt franchise come back and you have THE Ultimate OFF road Sim/arcade friendly game that will make everyone happy! One of my visions has been come to realisation, absolutely fantastic!

Procedural track generation, how awesome is that. Half a year ago i made a thread about it in AC forums how awesome such a thing would be, and how much especially Rally would benefit, and now it's here. :)
For the first time in racing sim life you will be able to do online competitions in a realistic manner, like the real Rallies work :)
Can't wait.
The only downer is still the stage lengths...don't get the reason to not make longer stages, especially in a procedural system it wouldn't make any difference what so ever - apart from a little longer loading time maybe. Maybe the Devs can be pushed towards it.
This and 4 or 5 countries more, and it would be the perfect rally game. (and the WRC license....)

Last edited:
Procedural track generation, how awesome is that. Half a year ago i made a thread about it in AC forums how awesome such a thing would be, and how much especially Rally would benefit, and now it's here. :)
For the first time in racing sim life you will be able to do online competitions in a realistic manner, like the real Rallies work :)
Can't wait.
The only downer is still the stage lengths...don't get the reason to not make longer stages, especially in a procedural system it wouldn't make any difference what so ever - apart from a little longer loading time maybe. Maybe the Devs can be pushed towards it.
This and 4 or 5 countries more, and it would be the perfect rally game. (and the WRC license....)

Is 18km not long enough for you? On the hardest difficulty these stages in an R5 will take 10mins + to complete.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%