PC1 Modding in pCARS (Want opinions)

Hi.

I've been following the pCARS development since February on the WMD forums, when I decided to get into it I thought "hey, since there is no publisher BS, I guess this project will be more open to modding than other games".

Now, since then I've seen several threads and discussions on WMD about the subject, they always ended up in flame-wars of people pro modding and people against it, and none of them seemed too serious about it. Until now, recently some user made a thread in the general forum to discuss what kind of plan could be taken to allow or not modding.

As of now, the thread has been overwhelmed by people against modding, which shocked me greatly since my experience with mods has taught me A LOT of people likes them.

So since I found out this forum is a more "neutral land" and people don't need to fear the *ahem* political correctness of the WMD forums, I'd like to ask your opinions on the subject, do you think mods are good for games and should be allowed? Or not?

PS. Most of the people against modding in this recent thread at WMD seemed to be higher ups. ($$$$):cautious:

And sure it's difficult to find a middle ground between DLCs and free modding, but I'm sure with some hard brainstorming a solution can be found. :)

Right. That's totally sensible. So, let me again reiterate this as my official position on modding of pCARS, since I seem to get referenced often as the "investor that wants to prevent modding in pCARS".

Let's wait until we see what SMS is cooking up in terms of tools, and what they view as a sensible approach to modding in the game. Once we know the details of the proposal, then we can form opinions on it, express them, and if we don't have a strong consensus, then maybe we'd have to put it to a vote. However, I would be really surprised if it got that far.

The reason why the modding thread at WMD and other forums becomes so heated is because there really hasn't been much in the way of feature ideas from SMS yet. It always devolves into 'investors are only interested in making money' accusations, so I get annoyed (because that's a lie) and throw out things like, "well, I'll just vote with the combined influence of 10,000 members against modding" and that's what ends up getting referenced over and over.

If the discussion has firm proposals, and the lame 'capitalist pigs suck' tirades are avoided, something might actually get done.

Interesting. Thank you Ian Bell for partaking in a conversation regarding modding in a positive and meaningful way. Your other representative has given us the opposite over the last few weeks regarding this issue but it's nice to see him changing his stripes a little.

Like others here, I think modding and multiplayer can be protected with a little thought. They can and will co-exist with ease. In this way Pcars can develop greatly and continue to do so long after the investors have had their fill and departed for other shores more profitable.

It is a pity that some of us are not able to argue our pro modding points on the WMD forums as members though. Perhaps we could try to influence the pro modding vote a little. But what chance will it have when the senior investors carry so much more vote power?

Once again, thanks and I appreciate the chance to discuss this sensibly.

Andy

I apologise for my earlier post in this thread. It has turned into a civilised discussion about the pros and cons of modding in a game.
All sides should be applauded for confounding my expectations.
Long may it continue.

Indeed. It's nice when conflicting parties can discuss things without being called names, without hidden meanings and most of all, without animosity. Nice one.
:thumbsup:

Indeed. It's nice when conflicting parties can discuss things without being called names, without hidden meanings and most of all, without animosity. Nice one.
:thumbsup:
I agree although i find it funny how you have changed your tune. You have said so many bad things about ian in these threads and now that hes here answering questions in a civilized way you are not so agressive. Funny how you think you know someone when you really dont.

Look Nathan, I respond with kind. Why you have to continously jump on these posts to interject is beyond me. Go and cause trouble elsewhere please.

I can go either way, for or against. It would be interesting to see what kind of tools SMS will offer and after that i can make my mind. They have the most to loose but they know this stuff way more i do

The first big flamewar related to modding had Micas pretty much saying "Over my dead body", paraphrased. Now he's suddenly "relenting". I put it in quotes, because he's posing as reasonable here, yet back then, he was shooting down any and all arguments, no matter how valid.

Thank god that the other senior managers aren't like that

The first big flamewar related to modding had Micas pretty much saying "Over my dead body", paraphrased. Now he's suddenly "relenting". I put it in quotes, because he's posing as reasonable here, yet back then, he was shooting down any and all arguments, no matter how valid.

Thank god that the other senior managers aren't like that.

A bit strong, but yes he seems to have changed his tune somewhat. Maybe Ian has had a friendly word in his ear?

Interesting. Thank you Ian Bell for partaking in a conversation regarding modding in a positive and meaningful way. Your other representative has given us the opposite over the last few weeks regarding this issue but it's nice to see him changing his stripes a little.

Like others here, I think modding and multiplayer can be protected with a little thought. They can and will co-exist with ease. In this way Pcars can develop greatly and continue to do so long after the investors have had their fill and departed for other shores more profitable.

It is a pity that some of us are not able to argue our pro modding points on the WMD forums as members though. Perhaps we could try to influence the pro modding vote a little. But what chance will it have when the senior investors carry so much more vote power?

Once again, thanks and I appreciate the chance to discuss this sensibly.

Andy

You guys can come and debate what ever you feel like on the wmd forums .. you even got a free chance to do so.

I see no rhyme of reason why you have to personally insult people again. I do hope the moderators actually deal with you on this one.

Mod edit: No reason to repeat the post....Should I say: Bye Micas ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%