Modders To Boycott Simraceway

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Several well-known modders and teams have announced their intentions to boycott the upcoming Simraceway website, not wanting to see their content become part of the site’s questionable concept. The group, including teams like CTDP, GSMF, Apex Modding and known modders like Erale and dmatzies, won’t be giving Simraceway permission to use their modding work in any way.

To understand this matter, a little bit of background knowledge is needed. rFactorcentral.com, a well-known community website will cease to exist in 24 days, making room for a new website called Simraceway. What looks to be a normal name/design change is much more significant as the new site is run by a different owner. While rFc was run by a community member, the new website has been taken over by an outside company called Ignite Skill Gaming who have “invested” in rFactorcentral.

Click here to read the full article at VirtualR.net

What is your opinion?

Attachments

• simraceway.png
    simraceway.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 327
Hi, Bram, and my last post is nothing personal against you. But i can´t agree with these guys are pretending to do. Maybe i´ve been a "little" too rude. But i also think they will not go too far with their politics. Best regards, Bram.

A little too rude? I think wishing people to burn in hell is more than just a little rude.

But please Luis explain the details of this situation, I've looked at various links and still not found anything conclusive of this big bad corporation taking over. I saw that picture Banger posted yesterday while looking at their site for info and it looks like it will be everything that rFactor Central was and more. There just doesn't seem as yet to be a list of specific changes that they are making or what they are going to charge and how they go about charging for me to get so worked up about it. If you have more information please share it, thats an honest request because unless there have been emails sent out to mod groups providing information that the general users have not I'm struggling to fathom out why there is such vitriol.

Hi, Kevin: What i know about this site is what i read here at RD. "Burn in Hell" was a expression i used in order to all people see i was very hungry with the site´s purpose. In my opinion, and what i´ve understood, this site wants to have "our" files, for free, and then, release them against a fee. Is that it? If i´m correct, i cannot agree at all with this procedure. Sorry. I still maintain, my language was rude, maybe i was too rude, but if these guys want to follow this line, i think we all must be "rude" to them.
Best Regards.

I'm as much in the dark as you, details are scant but that is why I'm waiting to base an opinion when details do become available rather than expend energy in getting angry over what could be nothing. From their own press release:

The site also announced its intention to complete a substantial overhaul and feature upgrade, the details of which will be released at a later date. Whilst the feature upgrade will be significant, and some features will command a fee, all features and services that are currently free, will remain so.

I put that small piece of text in bold because its the most important part of that quote. To me that sounds like it will be just like rFactor Central is/was where you log in and download the mods you want freely. What is unknown is what the other feature upgrades are, perhaps access to high speed download links? access to the 1 click and install feature mentioned in their second press release? or maybe game servers running these mods? It would appear from that press release that to the regular user who wants to pay nothing..well nothing changes but if you want to pay extra you get the thus far unspecified extras. If that is correct I don't see why there is so much angst.

Hi, Kevin : I would like a lot put a final point in this issue. I think i´m giving to much focus to this matter. Probably, i have misunderstanding the whole text. I just want to make some races, to chat some drivers, to make some mods and tracks downloads, and not to make "war" with anyone. As i say, this is a final talk over this point.
Best Regards, and thanks for your points, Kevin.

Here's a bump, and a question:

I haven't broken out my wheel in a while, been busy. I got an email about simraceway today though, about their Pro membership. I went on the site logged in with my rfactorcentral login, everything looks nice. But is the entire website now a standard $4.95 a month to use anything? I click on "Download Client", and I'm taken to "Win this 6k rig!". Same thing happens when I try to download a mod. Yet I can't seem to download the client.... do you need this Pro membership to do anything on the site?

I thought everything that was free would stay free... I don't remember paying to download any mods. I couldn't find many posts about this here, so what's up with the new website?

• Jonathan Stiener

What was free has most definitely NOT been kept free. I just had to do a complete reinstall of my OS, sytem files got corrupted, and repair install was a no go. after I got rfactor back up and running, went to download tracks/mods that I didnt already have backed up on my external. After downloading "2", thats right... 2 mods, and one track pack it said I had reached my daily download limit, and to continue I must register for a pro account..... What a farce.. we have all been had... I'm done with that site, as their are plenty of other much better communities where we can share info, and get the content for free from the modders who have no desire to make money, as it is their, "OUR" passion..

Jonathan Stiener

• vmagics

After downloading "2", thats right... 2 mods, and one track pack it said I had reached my daily download limit, and to continue I must register for a pro account.
RFC also had a daily download limit, as does NoGrip and as far as I know here too. The advantage with downloading from RFC etc. was that there were usually links to other download sources but aside from that the restrictions are the same. If you downloaded a track 'pack', remember they can be quite large downloads.

• vmagics

vmagics, the key phrase is "To continue I must register for a pro account". No other sim downloads website tells you to do this, as I recall.
Yes I agree, that message does sound bad but I've downloaded a ton of stuff with a free membership. I'm not sure why that happened but I think what you (or whoever) experienced was a glitch - either that or the daily download limit was reached, in which case just try again later. SRW is still in beta and there are 'lot' of glitches at the moment. Did you see anyway to bypass this 'register for pro account' thing?
Edit: Apologies, I just realised it was Kalen Johnson who has the downloading problem. Nevertheless my response is still relevent... I think:giggle:

vmagics, the key phrase is "To continue I must register for a pro account". No other sim downloads website tells you to do this, as I recall.

Not exactly true, it used to be here at RD and I am not sure whether it is still the case, that your download limits are either away or better when you donated.

Nevertheless 2 downloads per day is not much, I agree, so it is a couple of steps further, but same principle :).

I guess currently still a lot of fishing in the dark. What I found interesting (I just made it yesterday to that web page), that they organize race where you can win money. Not that I expect to win ever anything, but anyway, only fair that you have to pay to enter.

What I further found interesting that Simbin is a partner of that page... any link to RTR (?)

• vmagics

I've noticed that there are a few GTR2 servers at RaceHQ. Does anybody know if SRW are hosting any mod downloads for GTR2 and is the '1-click download' feature likely to become available for GTR2?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 191 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%