Minorating useless?

Hello everybody,
i was searching for "minorating" but the only threads i found are ancient, so i felt it's okay to open my own one.

I haven't really touched AC in quite some time and only read about minorating but as i'm a huge supporter of "limit access to servers so we get clean racing" i had very high hopes.
Now my dreams pretty much crashed down burning after just 3 races.

Rating C basically stands for "Carnage" and means absolutely nothing.
Rating B is achieved after 2 laps in Qualifying without wrecking, so, ya, that is also a completely pointless rating then.

I don't know what it takes to get an A rating as all C and B drivers tend to just slam into you and seem to have less awareness than the AI in Project Cars 1, but then again, would it matter? Are there even A rating servers that have the potential to offer clean racing?

The way i see it, minorating is absolutely pointless in it's current form.
People smashing into other cars in T1 and not being able to keep the car on the track for more than half a lap should never be allowed to advance to C.
B ranking should not be achievable by driving 2 laps without incident, that should require several pretty clean races in traffic.

Any tips on better MP races without having to stick to league and club races that never take place when i'm online?
Yes... i know... iRacing - except for the partly weird tyremodel i really loved my time in iRacing, but once you hit C class you are forced to drop at least 100$ on it without even knowing if you will be able to actually enjoy the content you're buying.
That's the reason why i want all other sims to implement a good rating system :D

I don't really crash a lot. ON busy servers with lots of new people it is often not really hard not to be involved in incidents, mainly that are not your fault!

The system is flawed in some ways as if someone decides to take you out, flat out into Druids, how can ANY blame or points be assigned to you?

And that is the thing most people don’t understand about rating systems, be it MR, the Iracing system or even the system PCars 2 uses. If an accident occurs both participants are "punished" in order to guarantee cleaner racing in the future. Because you don’t want to collect penalty points, do you? So you try to avoid incidents or contact next time, give the other guys room etc. You can’t just blame only the car who bumps from behind. What do you do when the guy in front brake checks you? Yes, these systems are not perfect, especially for touring cars where a little bit of contact is common, but I think there’s no better system right now to provide clean racing.

What is this thread????? Sorry, havent read the thread but find the title question ungrateful.

Do you remember what AC was like before Minorating (group clean racers)? Do you know what it would be like now without it? Built by a fellow sim racer @Minolin for FREE.... you should take it for what it is or complain to Kunos about not having a rating system.

Its not perfect but MR has definitely made a difference to driving standards and having password servers (RF2:thumbsup:) .
I race 90% online and have had soo many great tail to tail races, there will alway be incidents and retarded ones even in real life. ...Sim racer are mainly Fast at pointing the negs and need to show more appreciation. Thanks to @Minolin MR Rating system.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 379375

As I have said previously, I give credit for the intension and effort put into creating the system but without it being on all open servers its seriously flawed as has been said people gravitate to open servers. Also it wouldbe better if you couldn't enter servers lower than your rank so as to encourage separation of good and bad. Locked servers could disable the system or run their own combination of rank levels.

As I have said previously, I give credit for the intension and effort put into creating the system but without it being on all open servers its seriously flawed as has been said people gravitate to open servers. Also it wouldbe better if you couldn't enter servers lower than your rank so as to encourage separation of good and bad. Locked servers could disable the system or run their own combination of rank levels.

Exactly that's what were talking about during the last days (MR thread -> offical KS forum).
Again, you are invited to join, talk about it and shape the next and last major version of MR.

You have a point about preventing entering lower servers, it was also raised and promoted by many others. Actually I may be the only one left with concerns about it.

I got an A rating the other day. I was so chuffed that as I whooped and high-fived myself leaving the pits, I crossed the white line on the exit and got a penalty point that bumped me back to B. Madness.

Seriously though, it is a great piece of kit for this game and better than the open warfare on most public servers. Having said that, I was on an A-B server running the Lotus 72 and 312T yesterday thinking it would be a cleaner experience than most. Nope. Taken out from behind in lap 1 in every race I ran. Outside of a league event, people just don't know how to tussle clean, or leave room for their opponent, or don't care enough, even with a reputation algorithm judging them.

I got an A rating the other day. I was so chuffed that as I whooped and high-fived myself leaving the pits, I crossed the white line on the exit and got a penalty point that bumped me back to B. Madness.

It's hard to doge that effect in any way. Once you are 0.0001 "good points" over the A-threshold, any "bad point" will drop you to B. I understand that people are focusing on the very last action because it is the one that triggered the downgrade - but the cause is the sum of any action within the last 1000km before.

It might be possible to slightly improve this by playing with math. For example you might need to be 10% in the next grade to actually get it, so you can't easily enter and instantly drop from A. But in your example that would mean you wouldn't have ascended to A in this moment, and therefore never had the bad feeling of downgrading.

Seriously though, it is a great piece of kit for this game and better than the open warfare on most public servers. Having said that, I was on an A-B server running the Lotus 72 and 312T yesterday thinking it would be a cleaner experience than most. Nope. Taken out from behind in lap 1 in every race I ran. Outside of a league event, people just don't know how to tussle clean, or leave room for their opponent, or don't care enough, even with a reputation algorithm judging them.

Yep. B-drivers are not free of mistakes, therefore even AB servers can deliver bad experience like you describe. That's the problem with simracing, especially on full servers and in the first few laps - even a minor mistake of somebody who is mostly clean will ruin a race for many people.
There is no solution, I mean you see it in populated A-only servers: They are clean, if they exist.

MR handles information, but it can't just create the few thousand clean drivers that are needed to meet the expectations.

You have a point about preventing entering lower servers, it was also raised and promoted by many others. Actually I may be the only one left with concerns about it.
Then let me be on the record as saying I think it's a terrible idea.
Just to be clear, in the hope that I simply misunderstood: are people really suggesting that an A-rated driver should be unable to join a B server? That would be bonkers.

Edit: just opened the link in your post (reading on a tablet so it's painful ) and I see it's a bit more subtle than that.

I ask for a rating that is higher than A. I have been racing in the street fight AB servers lately and it is shocking how many people have an AB license that can't make a lap without spinning out at the first sign of oversteer or that have absolutely no situational awareness when it comes to racing others.

The A++ grade wouldn't survive the driver count issue. Stuff like Streetfight is already exceptional, because strong community and regulars make it possible. Ask them why they constantly switch between MR-A and MR-AB.

On the other hand SF is a very good example to show where MR can shine, between locked servers with dying communities and uncontrollable public MP.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back