Minorating useless?

Hello everybody,
i was searching for "minorating" but the only threads i found are ancient, so i felt it's okay to open my own one.

I haven't really touched AC in quite some time and only read about minorating but as i'm a huge supporter of "limit access to servers so we get clean racing" i had very high hopes.
Now my dreams pretty much crashed down burning after just 3 races.

Rating C basically stands for "Carnage" and means absolutely nothing.
Rating B is achieved after 2 laps in Qualifying without wrecking, so, ya, that is also a completely pointless rating then.

I don't know what it takes to get an A rating as all C and B drivers tend to just slam into you and seem to have less awareness than the AI in Project Cars 1, but then again, would it matter? Are there even A rating servers that have the potential to offer clean racing?

The way i see it, minorating is absolutely pointless in it's current form.
People smashing into other cars in T1 and not being able to keep the car on the track for more than half a lap should never be allowed to advance to C.
B ranking should not be achievable by driving 2 laps without incident, that should require several pretty clean races in traffic.

Any tips on better MP races without having to stick to league and club races that never take place when i'm online?
Yes... i know... iRacing - except for the partly weird tyremodel i really loved my time in iRacing, but once you hit C class you are forced to drop at least 100$ on it without even knowing if you will be able to actually enjoy the content you're buying.
That's the reason why i want all other sims to implement a good rating system :D

I think that statement that might be debatable
Well I do a lot of casual multiplayer and the only servers where I see wreckers are non-MR servers. Wreckers are people who have fun disrupting races.
Another thing is people who cannot drive the car, or people who drive too aggressively. But if you drive on servers with MR AB only, you seldom meet them.
That's totally awesome. MR basically automatically blacklists wreckers and recognizes unsafe drivers so if you have it on your server it's like an antivirus, you can decide what level of 'protection' you want. AC did not have this feature and thanks to Minolin we have it for free.

Any tips on better MP races without having to stick to league and club races that never take place when i'm online?..
I suggest trying www.simracingsystem.com, it's a free service for AC and has clean racing.

Also, some MR AB servers are very good, for example the Streetfight servers.

In general, Minorating does its job well at keeping wreckers out of your server, of course it cannot make public servers a paradise by itself.

The weird thing is when you get total aliens or even worse, groups of them in full all access public servers.

I presume it is to show off, or to just want to race with each other there, as they are always grouped up front and race each other.

Never quite understood why, if you are that good, you are racing in crowded publics full of wreckers. Guess they must like mingling with the middle classes

The problem is not the aliens. It is the mediocre drivers thant think with a good start will win the race. Or people that only think a race is fun if have chances to win.

Race is not about to win. There 40 cars on Nascar and only 1 car will win. If win a race was everything, 25 drivers of Nascar have already retired and go home do another thing.

• Deleted member 379375

Well I do a lot of casual multiplayer and the only servers where I see wreckers are non-MR servers. Wreckers are people who have fun disrupting races.
Another thing is people who cannot drive the car, or people who drive too aggressively. But if you drive on servers with MR AB only, you seldom meet them.
That's totally awesome. MR basically automatically blacklists wreckers and recognizes unsafe drivers so if you have it on your server it's like an antivirus, you can decide what level of 'protection' you want. AC did not have this feature and thanks to Minolin we have it for free.

Thanks for explaining what MR is and what a wrecker is.
It might be more accurate to say "I think MR system, which is a "safety ranking" system, has the potential to be very useful to keep wreckers out of public servers if applied to all servers and configured correctly." as as the title suggests wrecking in MR servers is stiill a major issue for many.

Thanks for explaining what MR is and what a wrecker is.
It might be more accurate to say "I think MR system, which is a "safety ranking" system, has the potential to be very useful to keep wreckers out of public servers if applied to all servers and configured correctly." as as the title suggests wrecking in MR servers is stiill a major issue for many.
As the title suggests it is not wreckers that the OT is talking about. He is talking about clean racing, i.e. the problem of having people who either cannot drive or race too aggressively. This is why, thank you, I explained what is a wrecker. A wrecker is someone who enters a server, stops somewhere around the track, and deliberately hits your car when you're passing by. MR gets rid of those (W ranking), and that is not debatable.

The only point that is debatable about MR is if it is too complicated to use. Maybe if it gave less choices to a server admin it could be used better. ABCDNW and the combinations of these are too many choices. More choices, less people able to use it correctly, less people willing to use it.

The problem is not the aliens. It is the mediocre drivers thant think with a good start will win the race. Or people that only think a race is fun if have chances to win.

Race is not about to win. There 40 cars on Nascar and only 1 car will win. If win a race was everything, 25 drivers of Nascar have already retired and go home do another thing.
I do not agree with you. NASCAR pilots race for points and money, and getting in front of the others gives them those. Of course they also like racing, and winning.

In public servers you do not have points or money. So the only things left are 1) having fun racing other people 2) getting the satisfaction of winning, because that's what racing is about.

Let's say that on a casual MP server you have 10 people, of which 2 are aliens, 4 are good drivers, and 4 are really poor drivers. If you are a good driver you will 1) not have so much fun if a poor driver crashes into you at the first corner 2) have no chance of winning the race because there are 2 aliens in front.

I agree that poor drivers ruin your race more than aliens, but I can also tell you that there is no fun in being beaten all the time. That's why you have a slider to set AI performance in single player.

Last edited:
The slider really doesn't make much difference in AC servers. As honestly there are so few of them. So if you want to race against a full grid you probably have 2 or 3 choices.

And in those there will be noobs, steady eddies, normal people and aliens. Perhaps not that many.

If I give you an example a few weeks ago I went on to a normally busy server at Spa in GT3. There were 4 guys heading the times on 2.15's. Two or three in 16's and 17's. That is fairly ridiculous.

And the slowest guys were in the 30's, probably new to the game and learning. That is a massive difference and they would likely be lapped in a 7 lap race as they would probably mess up a few times.

So they do, and they get in the way and they are all kicked by these alien bellends, who obviously knew the host and wanted it all to themselves for their little freak boy race. That is NOT a public server, that is a place full of normal people being run by a small group of guys who should be racing in leagues and for some reason want to make their little club public.

200.webp

So they do, and they get in the way and they are all kicked by these alien bellends, who obviously knew the host and wanted it all to themselves for their little freak boy race. That is NOT a public server, that is a place full of normal people being run by a small group of guys who should be racing in leagues and for some reason want to make their little club public.
LOL, what a special person you are that you can't handle being on the same track as aliens! If it's an open server, they have every right to be there that you do.

That is not the point I was making really.

To be that good you are clearly spending an awful long time practicing and perfecting setups or you would not be as good as that.

I would think that going to that degree means the last thing you want is to be in a completely open server with noobs and wreckers. These servers are not for league recruitment or anything, they are simply open servers for people of all levels to race in. Nurseries almost!

You expect one or two freaks, but not 6 or 7 of them!

If there are 3 aliens on server, my main goal is the fourth position. And I will be happy to finish 4th. Just make changes on your goals. Win races by removing the best ones is not really win races.

And race is different than soccer, basketball and others sports. On these sports is really not fun play with pro players. But on race, you still do the same on your car, it is like every player has the ball (which is the cars), instead of a soccer game, if you not are the same level, you probably dont receive the ball and will only see the others playing.

In a nutshell...

In most cases they're from other games or real life...

• Deleted member 379375

Please explain further. There's a lot MR isn't good at, but identifying W (that really means the deliberate ones) and ban them from the public servers is the core feature.
Okay, as an example there's a guy that goes by the name of zzzeandiu who joins abcnd servers and spends all his time crashing people out, maybe you can look him up on your database. He is obviously not the only one but a particularly bad offender.
I've been aware of him for months, he's always parking on the racingline on bends, doing doughnuts and sideswiping other drivers, its his MO.

To be that good you are clearly spending an awful long time practicing and perfecting setups or you would not be as good as that.

I would think that going to that degree means the last thing you want is to be in a completely open server with noobs and wreckers. These servers are not for league recruitment or anything, they are simply open servers for people of all levels to race in. Nurseries almost!

If I can address this without coming across as arrogant... I love the tatuus. I am not really interested in making my own setups. I lack the knowledge (and the patience to learn the knowledge, so I use other people's. I want to race, but my options are limited to a single server - the tatuus/imola server, which is pretty much the only populated server that uses this car. There are about 4 lads that race in open lobbies I know of online that I know are faster. The rest, well, I pretty much know what's going to happen. It still beats racing against AI. The minorrating system is great, but the problem is in ABCDN servers. You have to start there to be able to get into the A/B servers. I try to avoid them if possible, but AC has so few people playing online that most of the time there isn't much choice.

I wish we could all agree to only use the RD servers, but, as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, they are always empty. It's a shame, but I just don't think there are enough of us around for it to be a feasible place to race.

Bit of a ramble, but tl;dr = minorrating is ok. It's a mediocre compromise for a game with absolutely 0 multiplayer structure. Try to get to A or B ASAP, and race in those lobbies if you can.

And that is the main issue with AC and having a rating system on a game with very few players.

I understand what they are trying to do and in reality it doesn't really affect too many people.

But if you enjoy racing in public servers as I do and in busy ones, it can be a little tricky to even maintain a C rating. It is not hard, but if you have a few carnage races even if you are not at fault for any incidents

But if you enjoy racing in public servers as I do and in busy ones, it can be a little tricky to even maintain a C rating. It is not hard, but if you have a few carnage races even if you are not at fault for any incidents
If you enjoy racing in busy servers but crash a lot, you're the one Minorating's trying to keep out.

Minorating does not assign one-sided fault - if you were in an incident, you were at fault, period. So was the other person in the incident. Neither of you could have done it alone.

I don't really crash a lot. ON busy servers with lots of new people it is often not really hard not to be involved in incidents, mainly that are not your fault!

The system is flawed in some ways as if someone decides to take you out, flat out into Druids, how can ANY blame or points be assigned to you?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back