Minimum PC Specs?

Warren Dawes

Premium
I'm tempted to pick AC up from the Steam sale, but I'm a bit concerned whether my PC specs will be sufficient.
Most of my system seems ok (I5, 8GB RAM etc) but my video card is NV 460 GTX 1GB, and reading the Minimum Specs this seems to be the bare minimum.
I'm edgy whether I'd be ok to run this Sim, especially after more content is added such as AI.
I tried the Demo of DTM which ran ok initially, but after adding Demo 2 with the AI, it became a bit stuttery, even after reducing graphic settings as advised.

Soooo, how about AC on my system, will it still run smoothly after AI is added?
The sale price is attractive right now, but not if I have to "upgrade" my video card to run it. ;)

Well all I can say is that my system specs are lower than yours (graphics card is similar though) and with some graphics tweaking I have a constant framerate of 60 at a resolution of 1680x1050. There are several options ingame that free up huge resources without sacrificing a lot of eyecandy...
And I noticed no real fps drop in drag mode where there is one ai car. I would buy it if I were you...
Especially at this price...

Do you own a wheel and pedals? If so then you owe it to yourself to pick it up but you probably will need to upgrade your video card soon. (not sure what games you are playing with that card but for pretty much anything new you're going to need an upgrade anyways)

If you have no wheel then AC probably isn't going to be "up your alley" enough to warrant spending money of a hardware upgrade. Of coarse $25 is next to nothing so its a very small price to pay if you end up falling in love.

I have a 460GTX and I'm running at 1920x1200, I have HDR on, motion blur, AA all the bells and whistles, they're not maxed out but about half way on everything. I'm getting steady 45 to 60 at the moment. I've tried the game on lower settings and I'm happy there too if I have to step down when there's more cars on track. The only place you really notice all the fancy effects is in the replays. When I was trying to do a fast lap I could barely notice the difference with lower settings.

My 460GTX is fine for 1920x1200, but triple screens is a bit much for it. I don't run with everything turned up, but it's not at the bare minimum settings. Then again, the AI/multiplayer is gonna cut some FPS out. As a matter of course I play in 'near-fullscreen' so it's possible that by going to true fullscreen you could eke out a few more fps, but you lose the ability to switch to other programs without quitting the game. (not AC's fault; pretty much all DirectX games misbehave when you tab out)

On it's German-translated Steam page it reads GT460; must be some lower-powered OEM card. Just like the HD 6450.
I'm running well with 45+ frames on 1920*1080 on an HD 6850 with everything maxed out (only 8x "normal" AA), except for "Cubemap Resolution", which I have to set to Medium or framerate will collapse to 4-7! Must be for the 1GB memory maybe?
Without AA I have well over 60.

With more AI cars on track (I tested it in DTM-E) I will most likely not be able to run it smoothly with these settings, but I think AC is a little demanding than DTM.
But I have decided on buying a R9 card anyway.

Last thing, go buy it with the current discount! You will have years of fun with it and it will not get much cheaper than this. And other future games will force you to upgrade your system maybe. And support indie developers.:)

EDIT: I'm running my GPU with 850 core clock (775 stock).

Last edited:
I've got similar concerns, tho slightly opposite. My gfx card is a GTX560 Ti, which should be just fine ... however, my CPU is a Pentium-D dual-core 3.4Ghz, and I've got only 3 gigs RAM. Upgrading won't be in my budget for some time to come. I'd LOVE to get this, but only if I can actually play it (obviously)

I picked up the game while the price was beckoning.
Had one quick test run using basically default graphic settings and it ran very smoothly. Looking at the quality of the graphics, I'd say there is scope to further reduce the settings and it would still look better than all of my other Racing Sims. I might even try upping a few settings while it is only single player driving.
It is certainly running smoother than RRE runs on my rig, and that was after turning down a lot of things in RRE.

Thanks for the feedback guys, you helped make up my mind and I don't think I'll regret the purchase.

Yep, I love these older classic cars too. :)

I've got similar concerns, tho slightly opposite. My gfx card is a GTX560 Ti, which should be just fine ... however, my CPU is a Pentium-D dual-core 3.4Ghz, and I've got only 3 gigs RAM. Upgrading won't be in my budget for some time to come. I'd LOVE to get this, but only if I can actually play it (obviously)

My config, for the moment as I plan an upgrade within a few weeks is not far from yours:
Dual core E7600 at 3.06 Ghz, Win7 32 bits with 4 gigs RAM ( let's say 3 with 32bits )
with GTX650 ti 2 Gb

I run the game easily but not maxed out, as long as AI and multiplayer aren't yet present. ... I suppose it will be somewhat different when they come !

it drives nice warren, closest to rbr yet ;)

Interesting that you said that John. While watching the replay of my first run and concentrating on the car movement / physics, I thought exactly the same thing: "This looks very similar to RBR " except the graphics is better.

EDIT: Maybe there is a future Rally Mod option in this Sim and finally we may one day see a modern day replacement for RBR. :whistling:

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 317 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 159 7.8%
  • < 5 years