Mini Cooper.

I hope it drives as good as it looks.

omg! 0_o that mini is so nice! great job!
PS i dont like FWD cars, but i feel that this car will be fun to drive :D

I've not driven the new BMW ones, but I've driven an original '68 Morris Cooper S (ok it wasn't original, it had shocks instead of the hydrospastic suspension, it was bore to 1320cc, and had a whopping great Webber carb instead of the SU's sucking thru a hole in the firewall behind the oval dash), the feeling of driving in a gokart, but awesome grip, and excellent handling & power (remember that power/weight is the key figure, and a mini doesn't weigh that much)
You need a different driving style & line to what a RWD does, but once u work it out they're great fun cars to drive, on or off road.

My dad had 3 which he used during his rallying days. Unfortunately I wasn't born, so I've never actually seen them but he's described them well. His best was a 1293cc stage 3 race engine with (as David said) a whopping great Webber, full rollcage, 5-point harness bucket seats sitting on some fat wheels (and matching wheel arches). Sadly he had to sell it to a guy who used it for grass racing, who ignored my dad and didn't put a limiter on it which caused it to.. well.. lets just say it had a big hole on the side and was ruined. He doesn't remember the guy's name, so I can't go kick him in the nuts - what a shame.

I hope to recreated his Mini in Racer some day. Minis rule.

@bandit

Looks really great, looking forward for your work !

Don't forget, to split your materials 'smartly' so that you can assign correct shaders to your car parts. Also, if you want to have some fun with it, I would recommend exporting generics files, so in the future you could animate your car quite easily => opening doors, hood...

Please also, don't merge a 'static' driver to your car, it's modeled on its own & soon there will be lots of Racer 'real' drivers available...
Contact me if you need help with more advanced stuff like that ! or advices since I'm doing some deeper testing with Racer.

I was going to help Bandit with the car, but I've been really busy lately, and now I'm suffering with a dead upgraded PC... hopefully in a week or so I'll have some clear air to sort out the basic mesh in Max for quick and easy export in future by Bandit!

Sorry for the delay to all those looking forward to enjoying Bandit's Mini!

Thanks

Dave

I was going to help Bandit with the car, but I've been really busy lately, and now I'm suffering with a dead upgraded PC... hopefully in a week or so I'll have some clear air to sort out the basic mesh in Max for quick and easy export in future by Bandit!

Thanks

Dave

Reminds me I need to get a move on with my Mini, for the most part its just the interior that needs to be done.

Bandit your Mini does look really good. I don't feel any real competition with mine because its an MKI where as yours is pretty much, the last body style of the original Mini.

Thanks

Dave

Now I know why I don't have PM from you. :)

Btw guys I have only model and sounds. I don't know anything about conversion, shaders etc. So I need a lot of help. Thank you QuadCoreMax. Probably I need your help when Dave done.

Ok guys, I'll be the one taking care of this project !

Some news :

- list is too long to write it down....

Some pictures :

minifinish01.jpg

minifinish02.jpg

Things to finish :

- minor car holes
- curves
- shader tweak (for the inside mostly) => maybe re-export
- gauges light ?
- glowing brakes
- pilot
- custom scripts for driver animations ?

Things done :

- flares
- gauges (outside / inside)
- backfire
- custom AO map baked into wheel diffuse
- gradient windows (inside / outside) => awesome look
- real cool bump mapping on tyres
- everything smoothed (restoration of all original 'lost' SG (smoothing groups), duh dirty work !
- etc...

Professional & officially Qlog debugged => O errors
Only testing it with CSM & without it...

Hope you like it ! :)

Something doesn't look right with the front grill, possibly too wide?

It needs the chrome nudgebar at the front too. imho thats what made them look cool.

While it was a few years ago now, I helped a friend completely dismantle & restore one of these, 69 Cooper S. I personally made the wiring loom for it from circuit diagrams, and LOTS of PVC tape. I think I still have some of the adhesive under my nails.
I'll have a 1310 with a large Webber on it thanks!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back