1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Challenge @ Bridgehampton;- Wednesday March 24th, 2010

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Eric Nelson, Mar 19, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

Class: Mini Challenge

Track: Bridgehampton

Weather: Dry

Start Time: 21:45 EDST / 18:45 WDST / 01:45GMT (Thursday)

Practice: open server
    Qualification: 15mins (21:45 EDST)
    Warmup: 10mins
    Race: 2x12 laps

Notes: Click here to read the password and golden rules!

2. Entry List:

1. Eric Nelson
    2. Dennis Phelan (raced here IRL!)
    3. Koray Can
    4. Driver
    5. Driver
    6. Driver
    7. Driver
    8. Driver
    9. Driver
    10. Driver
    11. Driver
    12. Driver
    13. Driver
    14. Driver
    15. Driver
  3. Mini's at historic Bridgehampton Raceway!!

Bridgehampton was a "Major" Motorsports location in the Northeast USA for 40 years! F5000, Can Am ,Trans Am and other top level racing class' competed here in the dunes of the beach. Very fast and completely unforgiving this track will test your nerves to push the limits!

Even in a MINI challenge car, you'll find yourself trying to best your last lap just one more time!

And While you are lapping, try to picture yourself in a 1,000 h.p. Can Am machine trying to hold off Mark Donahue for the win! OR if you are Motorcycle guru picture yourself trying to catch RD's very own Dennis Phelan who raced MOTO here back in the day!(BTW he is signed up for the event!)
  4. Yes, The Bridge is quite a track. Should be a fun event. I always picture the Chaparral 2e here myself. ;)

5. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    Let's just get out there and RACE!! Premium Member

Eric, you forget to mantion that I raced there in your historical blip.
    Sign me up, I'll do it again.
  6. Sorry Dennis what was I thinking? edited for your edification!

7. Jim are you signing up or wishing you could be here?
  8. I have trouble with commitment. ;) Actually I have a RL situation that keeps me from making firm plans at the moment. Put me down as a possibility. I'd definitely prefer not to miss it. Thanks. This is such a great track, I hope we get a good turn out.

9. Got it thanks Jim!
  10. I've never flipped a Mini on this track. I shall be there.
  11. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

server is up guy's
  12. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    Let's just get out there and RACE!! Premium Member

It was a thin strand of asphalt sitting on top of a sand dune just south of Sag Harbor. Last night we ventured on it once more to celebrate country roads and how we would really like to drive on them. A small crowd but at speed it could be a tight track.

I was prepared, and had SPEED! Eric had practiced but had no car. Luckily I had one for him and we went out to qualify. I did a 1:43.866 and think I had him by 0.1 seconds or so but all he did was follow me around and complain about the car I gave him.

R1: Eric takes off well and is first to the bridge but goes wide at the entrance to the Milsotne straight and I'm by. Just one wheel off and you're in terrible trouble here, sand everywhere. I lead the next 10 laps while Eric repeatedly closes in and gets stifled, either by my driving or the setup he's driving and I'm able to hold him off. The only way I can lose is by making a mistake. L12, T2 and I put a wheel of and go running up to the catch fence but still in control and still foot to the floor I get back to the track just before T3 and behind Eric. Seizing the opportunity, I slide inside him at the apex and move in front of him as we hit the Milstone again. Only, I continue off the left side of the track into the sand n weeds before coming back pout again behind him. No way to catch, P2.

R2: Corey gets the good start from the front row and I can only tuck in behind and go for every opportunity he presents to pass.We're a tight bunch, side by side, headed thru the lefts with Eric right behind us and Corey leads us around. At L2, T1 I see a chance to under Corey and I take it,I go into the sand and Corey follews me. Sorry if I shocked you into moving left there Cory! I'm back on the track at T3 but Eric is now firmly in the lead. Eric must have been using Motec and playing with the setup betweeen races, he's managed to take a good handling sandpiit car and turn it into a racer. Unfortunately, he's hitting the sand too many times and in two laps I'm in the lead. To cinch things up he continues to play in the sandbox and I gain even more advantage. P1

If only more people had entered, we could have maybe seen some really great crashes! There were too few of us however and no one was seen rolling thru the weeds alongside the track. Thanks Eric! RD! and Corey for a fun nights drive!
  13. Yeah this could have been just insane had we gotten more entrants. OH well thats the way it goes while the ATCC is on the schedule this Friday.....

Thanks to Dennis for sending me a setup to get me started here! We had an epic battle in Race 1! I mad e amistake, Dennis Capitalized! Dennis made a mistake, I capitalized! We ran a very similar pace and had great fun racing!

Race 2 was fun with Koray in the lead to start. We all drove tight quarters action until the dreaded off by both Koray and Dennis. I made one huge mistake dropping a wheel inthe valley of lefts and going DEEEEEEEEEP into the brush and sand! I could gain some time back on Dennis but was driving soooo hard to catch him I continued to make a mistake after 4 laps and it sealed it up for Dennis to Win Race 2.

I liked this event so much I am considering putting it back on the calendar next week! I think we would get more entries since it's an off week for the ATCC!

HAd lots of fun chasing the "baron of Bridgehampton" Dennis Phelan. Hey Den, At least ya didn't go careening off at 120 mph on your motorcycle tonight! LOL
  14. Sorry I didn't make it after all. We got home about the time the event was supposed to start, and hadn't had dinner even. :( Long day. How about this track gets on the rotation again with a more popular class? If you like Mosport, you've gotta love the Bridge.

15. Psssst Probably next Friday Night in WTCC / STCC machines..............:cool: