middle tire temp advise

Ok I am going to ask the masses here. On all the cars I have driven on iRacing the middle tire temps are always high. I can use the lowest psi and they still are high. With other sims you make a big psi change the center temps change. Does iRacing tire model not wok that way? Or is it just you need way more camber to see the tire temp get more normal...IE 105 outer 110 middle 115 inside I am seeing 105 135 115

iRacing doesn't ahve their tyre temperatures sensible yet. The side temperatures also contain part of the tyre's sidewall, which never touches the ground. Therefore side temperatures are low.

When looking at your tyres I advice two perspectives:
  1. How do the middle temps compare left <> right and front <> rear?
  2. How is the tyre wear spread on each of the tyres (this is modelled correctly)?

I'm no expert on this. I don't even know if adding or removing pressure reduces wear and I never use Atlas. ;)

I do know that wear results from more than tyre pressures. If you find one tyre wearing much more than others, you might want to change the balance in your car so that it stresses the wearing tyre less.

I advice taking a look in the thread called "Ovals" here in the RD iRacing forums. It contains a nice movie and some useful notes. ;)

Hey Charles, I've been tackling this same problem as of late. I haven't got a definitive answer from an authority, but a number of opinions (including mine) state to ignore temps completely and substitute wear. Just get your wear even across the tire and you're set

coming from a racing background tire temps are the measure tool...so it goes against the rules to not look at them. I am a telemetry guy so it is a tool to use.I have done some testing tonight and the psi seems to do little. You can get too much and get center wear.Moving camber changes the temps more than pressure does. Like any sim some chages do more than others like shock settings in EVO
2 hours is going to be one tough race

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1808602.page

How to read tire wear and temps in iracing by Dave Kaemmer. I found this read very informative.
Hmm, I don't like it that much. Lots of data, but very little information since it is written in such a way that it is hard to see what point he is trying to make in each of the sub-chapters. Take for example the chapter about "Laptime fall off". It goes on about tyre composition and its effect, but it never really mentions how it effects laptime fall off and why slow outlaps work on road courses... Not a very rewarding read if it needs to stick...

On topic: I don't understand why they've gone for the average tyre sections instead of going for the point measured temperatures like in real life.

they are giving you more data than just one stick point. The center temps are a average of the contact patch. The edge temp tells you how much the tire is rolling over or camber. A low psi will let the tire roll over more due to the low stiffness of sidewall. Or a high edge temp could mean to much camber not letting the tire run on the center part. You get the car weight one one part of the tire on the straight and it will overheat the edge. This is where Atlas comes in it is reading surface temp so you can see what is happening in a turn vs the straight. You will see the point where the tire is working at that point on the track. That is how I read the temp part of his artical.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back