1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Wheel and other non-independantly tuneable wheel settings

Discussion in 'GRID Autosport' started by Peter Hooper, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Seeing as there are threads for other wheel users I thought I would start one here for users without the CSR or Thurstmaster wheels with their ability to independantly adjust settings outside of those in the game.

I am using the Official Microsoft Wireless Wheel and my current in game settings are as follows:-

Steering Deadzone 5%
    Steering Saturation 100%
    Steering Linearity -4
    Throttle Deadzone 0%
    Throttle Saturation 100%
    Brake Deadzone 2%
    Brake Saturation 100%

I’ve played around a bit with these trying to find something that gives me the sort of feel and accuracy that I enjoy but have so far fell short. The above is ok but not really where I want it to be.
    In the open wheelers there’s a kind of see-sawing feel around the centre of the wheel making getting into the corners tougher than I would like and also making close quarter racing more difficult. Far more correcting of the steering is required than there should be at the moment.

The deadzone isn’t helping here and I wish they would patch this to allow much lower increments as 5% is simply too wide a range. I feel that if I could have it somewhere around the 2-3% mark it would be about right.

Linearity is the area that I feel has the biggest effect. I initially had this at -1 think it was maybe a bit too dead there. Anything too positive introduces a very bad zig-zagging effect as though you are sawing at the wheel. I tried it at +10 and this was just impossible for me although maybe with a change in the deadzone it would improve.

Throttle and brake saturation has to be high for me. I tried the other end of the scale and had no control at all. I will probably experiment around the high levels though but can’t see that anything below 75% would work but happy to be proven wrong if anyone else has an alternate viewpoint to this.

Brake deadzone I just like to have slightly off zero to give that bit of leeway in case my foot inadvertently touches it harder than I realize during the races.

I hope to see some input from others here as I really want to get this game feeling as good as I can.

@Railer Cantrell @Chris Hempsall feel free to give your settings here too :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Well as you know Pete we did some pretty extensive testing at the weekend and I have settled on:

Steering Deadzone 0%
    Steering Saturation 75%
    Steering Linearity -Whatever default is
    Throttle Deadzone 0%
    Throttle Saturation 65%
    Brake Deadzone 0%
    Brake Saturation 80%

• Beer Beer x 1
  3. Cheers Chris, had an hour on the game tonight and really struggled to get something that I'm comfortable with in the open wheelers. Just didn't feel right. Not bad in the other formats I tried but the Lola I tried tonight in the challenge at Red Bull Ring had several issues for me.

Steering is off, I'm sure some of it is because of that damn dead zone being too much at 5% and not enough at 0%. Messed around with the linearity again to try to get it right and reached a compromise but still not really happy with it.

I'll try your saturation next time I'm on, maybe that's part of the problem for me.

The throttle was also quite odd, on the exit of the slower corners all would be fine in the initial phase of the throttle but then wheelspin would start to kick in about a quarter or third of the way to full throttle and the backend would try to snap away needing some correcting.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  4. I've now changed my settings following some testsing last night with @Robert Waddell and this is where I am at now:-

Steering
    Deadzone 5%
    Saturation 100%
    Linearity -3
    Throttle
    Deadzone 5%
    Saturation 100%
    Brake
    Deadzone 10%
    Saturation 100%

The steering now feels much better, that linearity change of just 1 step seems to have eradicated the inaccurate zig-zaggy feel I had in the open wheelers. The throttle still has some issues in certain cars (the Lola in particular) but I will test it out with some longer runs tonight hopefully.

5. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

I think another key to the above, although it may not seem obvious, is that the Force Feedback affects the wheel settings, and going from:

Environ: 50%
    Wheel resist: 100%
    Weight: 50%

To:

Environ: 100%
    Wheel resist: 100%
    Weight: 30% (or to your preference)

Helps out the steering too. Less weight counteracts the steering deadzone, as does the increase in linearity. And the environmental effects are heightened since they are very low in this game for some reason, so you get a better sensation for the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dux

Dux
    The 1st MK Formula 1 rFactor Sim-Racing Champion Premium Member

I have really big problems with my Logitech Formula Force FX wheel.

Any help ?

7. What's the particular problems Dusko?

8. Dux

Dux

The really big problem is, lets say i steer to left/right just slightly, like 20 degrees not more, wheel ingame is almost straight. I steer a little more and there it goes, ingame turns like i have turned a 90* turn

9. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

The Linearity in the game, if you didn't already know, goes into the negative. This might help.

10. Agree with what Robert said above but also do you have any deadzone set in the game? If you have this too high then it will do exactly what you are describing.

11. Dux

Dux

Yup, that's weird cause i actually had the first time zero, then put on 5 and it was doing better, BUT, like @Robert Waddell said, this time i put the linearity in -3, just like the setting above i said. But okay, i will play with it later when i come home to see how it goes.
    Thank you guys!

12. DIfferent wheels do tend to need slightly different settings so I am sure if you play around with them you will find something you can work with. Don't forget as well that the saturation can also come into play here. Reducing it should make the wheel more sensitive to your turning it.

Please post your settings here as it could prove useful to others :thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
  13. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

I was running with those steering settings before i went on holiday, Just wondering why you changed the dead zone for the throttle and brake?

14. It was mainy for the open wheelers there was just something that wasn't quite right with the way the car was reacting and this change seemed to make it better.

The brake was just something I was playing around with and again this felt better and gave a little more leeway for me although in no way is it set in stone.

• Like Like x 1