Michael Schumacher retires from Formula One

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium

Michael Schumacher, seven-times World Champion has announced he will retire from Formula One at the end of the season.

Schumacher’s future in the sport had been a topic of conversation all week. Mercedes’ signing of Lewis Hamilton to partner Nico Rosberg in 2013 brought to an end Schumacher’s tenure with the Brackley-based team but the lack of any retirement announcement from the German driver had given rise to speculation that he was seeking a drive elsewhere. Most notably, Schumacher was linked with the seat at Sauber soon to be vacated by Sergio Pérez.

Schumacher scotched those rumours today, announcing from the Mercedes team building that this season would be his last in Formula One. The 43 year-old will therefore not break the record for grand prix starts currently held by Rubens Barrichello.

“During the past weeks and months I was not sure if I would still have the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on; and it is not my style to do anything which I am not 100% convinced about,” said Schumacher. “With today's decision I feel released from those doubts. In the end, it is not my ambition to just drive around but to fight for victories; and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.”

Tribute was paid to the departing champion by his team. “I feel very proud, honoured and privileged to have had the opportunity to work with Michael so closely,” said team principal Ross Brawn. “In my opinion, he is the greatest Formula One driver, and the records which he holds in our sport speak volumes for his success and commitment. On behalf of everyone at our Silver Arrows team, we wish Michael all the best with his future plans and extend our sincere thanks to him for his commitment, passion and hard work during our three years together.”

Schumacher’s statement specified retirement from Formula One. It did not mention other forms of motorsport.

Source: FIA Press Release
View the Post on the Blog

Place your bets in which series MSC will continue to race and enjoy himself. That last sentence of the press release offers some food for thought :thumbsup:

DTM? FIA WEC with Porsche?

Not sure why but I reckon he'd have a go at Le Mans some time unless he has said he won't in the past. Seems like a different challenge that he would relish. DTM seems like a logical step though for him.

I reckon he will do nothing, just retire from competative motor sport.

The hardest thing he has is that, no matter what sport he does, everyone wants to beat him because he is Micheal Schumacher.

I wouldnt be surprised if he goes and works for pirelli to help develop tires, as nothing compares to a F1 car and no other motor sport would be able to fill that gap or feeling.

• Deleted member 113561

I think he will completely stop racing

It sad to loose him again ... a fantastic driver ... when he would drive for a more competitiv team he could win some races

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%