Mercury Cougar vs Ford GT40 @ Kyalami 75 - Thu 24th May, 2012

flyergtc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Ford GT40 (Default car) vs. Mercury Cougar ( download )
Track: Kyalami 75 ( download )

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 (14 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 19.50 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.10 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.20 (14 laps)

Note1: Default Skins Only for GT 40 ( Default list ).
Note2: The car you will drive in Race 1 will be listed next to your name in the entry list below. Please make sure you know what car you are driving in Race 1. For Race 2 you switch to the other car.

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Knut Omdal Tveito Cougar
  2. Senad Subasic GT40
  3. Ross McGregor Cougar
  4. Peter van Zanten GT40
  5. Hans Sneep Cougar
  6. Ian Strom GT40
  7. Rupe Wilson Cougar
  8. Jack Smith GT40
  9. Andrew Jarnell Cougar
  10. Paul M Jones GT40
  11. Stuart Thomson Cougar
  12. Eck Simpson GT40
  13. Roland Warmenhoven Cougar
  14. Jacob Boonstra GT40
  15. Carlos DiazCougar
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver

Lots of noise, lots of horsepower, lots of spinning, lots of crashing, lots of passing and being passed, lots of close battles, LOTS OF FUN!

Even though I didn't do as well as I had expected of myself in race2, it was still an epic event. These cars are so closely matched, yet look so funny racing against each other lol.
Loved it, just loved it:geek:

I made it home for race 2, and what a race it turned out to be.
A three way battle for 2nd to 4th, never more than a second between us. Great cornering/braking in the twisties for me, in the Cougar and serious outright speed for Knut and Stu, in the GT40.
Grats to Ross, who got the break early. Then just seemed to coast, to the finish. Damned unlucky Stu and Knut, a minor coming together, handed me what turned out to be an easy 2nd.

Thanks all, a great atmosphere to race in as always. Can I put in yet another request for the inclusion of the Cougar elsewhere (league)... lol.

Thanks Knut, Stu and RD.

Nice combo, now that I realized what track Kyalami actually is :D

Enjoyed the racing at the back, with Hans mostly. More top speed in the GT40, but I also had to brake earlier for turn 1 than Hans' Cougar. Once I passed him, I guess he didn't expect me to brake so soon, so we had a collision.
Overall wasn't too bad, was one of the faster GT40s it seemed. But was all over the place, a couple of spins and offs meant Jack and the rest were well ahead.

Preferred the Cougar, seemed nicer to drive (read: slower), but only did a couple of practice laps. Multitasked and missed the start. I assume that's what happened, game wasn't responding when I tabbed back. Sorry.

Thanks to Knut and Stuart

Once again a great Combo, 2 totally different cars with a very close lap times...
Race 1 never really got started for me .. but it was great watching the battles unfold as the laps run down...
Race 2 was a bit messy to start with but i found my self all alone with the leading bunch still in view and the same behind ... and then i spun...I ended up tight against the barrier facing the wrong way... so i sat and watched everybody go by as i could not see the corner and i could guarantee if i pulled out i would hit head on with some poor driver....
But never mind it was still good fun driving the gt40 and slowly got my lap times down ...
After a few moments last race i decided to take it easy. Some days you never win... but it still makes you want more:)

Enjoyable return to GTL action for me last night, with two very different- but equal- cars. I found that in race 1 i was only just able to keep up with Jacob's GT40 on the home straight by staying right in his slipstream, which must've meant that both cars were pretty equal round the rest of the track too. Had my brake pressure set 90%, which possibly wasn't a good idea for a big lump like the Cougar, but i pressed on to try and catch Knut who was 4s ahead. By the end of the race the gap was up to 6s so well done Knut, good driving!

For race 2 the GT40 felt quite different, and i just couldn't get a grip on it. Ballsed up my qualie lap but somehow snatched 2nd, and just like race 1 i lost a position at the start, this time to Thommo. Followed him for a couple of laps as Knut fell by the wayside after a mistake, then found myself leading after Thommo also ran wide. From then on i tried to build a gap, but i just plain wasn't quick enough, so while Eck, Thommo & Knut went at it hammer & tongs, i was able to stay ahead with the gap fluctuating lap to lap.

Bit of a rusty performance from me, but GTL is still doing the business in the fun stakes.

Cheers Knut + Thommo!

Had a jerky start in Race 1 as I forgot how long the 1st gear is in the Cougar. But I managed to work the clutch a bit and got a decent start in the end. Was able to build a gap to Jacob and Ross in the first laps. I thought they would reel me in, but the gap down to Ross stayed pretty constant.

2nd race was a lot of fun racing with Eck and Stuart, while Ross held the lead. Switched positions quite quite a few times and was able to keep it close. Towards the end I made a silly mistake in turn 1 though. Everything was smooth in braking and turn-in, but Stuart lifted a bit mid-corner and I managed to tap him. Sorry again Stu. Unfortunately it was enough to unsettle his GT40 and we lost some ground to Eck and Ross. But we still had some nice racing towards the finish line. Good stuff!

Thanks to all that showed up and for the good fun.

I enjoyed the power, the feel and the sound...very immersive. Could not match my previous night practice times but I was close to the average pace for a change so I was hoping for some one on one battles.

Race 1. GT 40. Had a fair start but I see in replay that I may have pinched a few out on some early corners... not realizing they were there....Paul and Rupe. Sorry about that. After a bit I found myself in a rare fourth place. Had fun trying to defend Roland and Carlos for a few laps but their pace was quicker than mind and they jumped by when I faultered. Ended up in a smiling 6th.

Race 2. Cougar. On replay I see I had a fair start again but lost some ground at turn 1 but others did also and so I landed in 5th with Jacob hounding my tail. I got to get back to the replay to see how I made out....be right back. Well I see that Jacob had an off at T1 and he and a crowd of others were slowly hunting me down again ( over several laps ) .... with Roland leading the pack. Soon Roland and Carlos were trying to reel me in when Carlos went off in T1. The race was 3/4 over and I needed to focus on defending Roland when I tried to take T1 just like I always did, but I ended on my roof. I went from 5th to 8th by the time I returned to track with two laps to go and that is how it played out to the end.

All good. Great event Knut. Thanks for the set ups also. I'm sure they had a lot to do with my ability to stay as consistant as I did. WD podiums. Cheers to all drivers.

Bit late to respond, but I sure had some great fun again. Excellent pair of cars, great track choice again, mr. Knut!
Had good fun in both races with both cars depite messing up both my starts..:confused: Some good fum racing action made up for it though!
Grats to both podiums, glad you made it for R2 at least Eck, and good to see Carlos making a return as (sort of) regular :thumbsup: CYA soon!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back