Mercedes W06 Hybrid officially launched as testing begins

Mercedes W06 Hybrid 03.jpg

We’d already seen glimpses of Mercedes’ new car on a filming day at Silverstone, but today the team properly unveiled the W06 Hybrid before the world’s press at Jerez as pre-season testing begins.

Reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton and teammate Nico Rosberg took the covers off the car, and both are eager to race each other again after their intense battles last year. "I know the feeling of winning and of fighting for a championship after last year, but I also know the feeling of not winning in the end and I don't want to repeat that," said Rosberg to Reuters. "It's an extra boost and it gives me so much motivation for the year ahead." As for Lewis, he isn’t about to relax after winning his second title in 2014. "You hear about people who achieve a lot but then lose their focus and you wonder; at what point does it fade off? I'm grateful that the fire is still there in me," he said. "I'm glad me and Nico had the battle we did last year. I love winning races but it just feels so much better when you have to fight for it. I just want to get back out there, race hard, be the best I can be and hopefully win some more."

That desire not to be complacent is echoed by Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport Toto Wolff, despite the W06 Hybrid looking like a subtle evolution of last year’s car, as he told Formula1.com: “there is a long road ahead before we reach the first race. We must build a fast, reliable racing car to be able to compete with rivals whose ability and competitiveness can never be underestimated. At this point, every team is on zero points.”

Lewis and Nico will take turns testing the car for the first four days testing, with Nico driving today and then on Tuesday, and Lewis on Monday and Wednesday.

Mercedes W06 Hybrid 01.jpg Mercedes W06 Hybrid 02.jpg Mercedes W06 Hybrid 04.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%