Mercedes Team Members Held at Gunpoint in Brazil

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Mercedes Team Gunpoint Robbery.jpg

According to a Tweet from Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton, several members of the title winning team have reportedly been held at gunpoint outside the Interlargos Grand Prix circuit.

Taking to Twitter earlier today, newly crowned four time World Champion Lewis Hamilton confirmed that several members of his Mercedes team were held at gun point outside the Interlargos circuit on Friday night, with reports of shots fired and one member being held at gun point. Fortunately nobody was injured in the attack, however several items of value were reportedly stolen from the team, yet another incident at a Brazilian Grand Prix that is starting to becoming renowned for the high levels of crime against Formula One outfits in recent years, most notably the gunpoint hijacking of Jenson Button back in 2010.

Hamilton took to Twitter to confirm the attack had taken place, and that nobody involved in the incident suffered anything more serious than shock at the attack.

Hamilton Twitter.jpg

Thankfully all involved in the robbery would be unharmed in the incident, and it is thought all members of the team have returned to work at the circuit in time for this mornings third Free Practice and qualifying later in the day.

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the premier open wheel series in the world. Seeing as it is Grand Prix weekend, don't forget our Brazilian Grand Prix race discussion thread is up and waiting on your participation! Catch the latest session reviews, read up on what the drivers have been saying and discuss anything and everything Brazilian Grand Prix related right HERE.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

So it happened again. Can Formula One do anything to better protect the teams and drivers in Brazil? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Hamilton tomorrow: Brazil is the best country I love it, best fans.....
Can't resist the opportunity right?
Are the fans responsible for 'mugging' the team?
Are all Brazilians bad people?
Can you have a bad experience in a poverty-ridden country?
We had an aircrew robbed at gunpoint on a beach in Brazil years ago.
Did we stop flying to that country afterward? ....no.
We just took more precautions to safe-guard ourselves.
This can happen anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
It can happen anywhere in the world, but it always seems to happen in Brazil. Mexico/Malaysia/ Azerbaijan seem to do a decent job of keeping the teams and drivers safe when they are there. If the Brazilian authorities cared they could secure the road with troops or armed police, but they don't. Most Brazilians I've met are great, but life seems to be so cheap there, and crime levels stratospheric.
I'm actually in Chile at the moment and have just been traveling around Ecuador, Bolivia, Peru and Argentina and have felt pretty much 100% safe. I sadly wouldn't dream of going to Brazil though..

The rich countries wants to continue with the economic oppression and want to come walk and not find problems directly linked to the fruit of the most pure selfishness
Tipical comment of people that love to put the blame on others instead of changing themselves. Our situation is 100% our fault.

Senna is dead. F1 needs to pull out of 3rd world trash countries. NO excuse for this.
Sao Paulo mayor wants to sell the track (finally!), if that happens I doubt new owners will have the money to bring F1 to Brazil, especially with all the tax and very high dollar price.

Tipical comment of people that love to put the blame on others instead of changing themselves. Our situation is 100% our fault.

Sao Paulo mayor wants to sell the track (finally!), if that happens I doubt new owners will have the money to bring F1 to Brazil, especially with all the tax and very high dollar price.
This argument is correct but shallow and very simplistic.

Next year armed guard will be with them, no doubt.
Sounds like a fierce place Brasil (or Brazil) - possibly even worse than Manchester.

But lets not go overboard with the condemnation of the place please - there are terribly violent places in every large country.

Senna is dead. F1 needs to pull out of 3rd world trash countries. NO excuse for this.
Brazil pays the same fees to FIA as other countries. Do you think our social and economics* problems makes us inferior and not worthy to have a F1 race?

I agree, there're no excuses for this. As a brazilian I hate this as much as anyone else and feel shame. But we love the sport, we're proud of Interlagos and the fact that we stage F1 races for 35 years.

*due to politics corruption

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back