1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Mercedes Star, where art thou?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Tom, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

Can't sleep, so I've been taking a stroll on eBay - to no avail. I'm looking for a Mercedes Star with a diameter of 45mm to 50mm. Anything bigger won't fit onto my wheel.

[​IMG]

Needs to fit on the circle in the middle, which is exactly 51mm in diameter. I went to a Mercedes dealership but I haven't had much luck there. Any ideas?

This one would be awesome but it's 56mm in diameter. :(

2. a sticker maybe?? you need to look for a high res mercedes logo and print it over some aply kind of paper?? you can edit the size of it easily

3. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

No, that's not an option - stickers just aren't the same, I really want to have a badge on it. :D

4. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

That's looking great but then again I'd like to have something attached to the wheel. :/

5. What do you mean?

6. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

Something physical instead of a sticker.

7. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

8. Im pretty sure those are the stars for the trunk door on the back so there should be way to find it. ;)

9. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

I did ask at the local dealership and they didn't have anything like that - unusual if it's the one that's usually attached to the trunk. Well, one more trip I guess. :D

10. Was gonna say go to the dealer to find the Tristars but saw you had been there already :)

What you can try and do is visit a scrap yard. There you should have a nice selection of old MercĀ“s and hopefully find a Tristar that fits.
    Should not cost more then a cup of coffee either.

11. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

Will do. I'm just confused why eBay didn't list the ones for the trunk right away instead of only the ones that go on the bonnet. Ah well, now that I have a part number I can ask for something very specific at the dealership. :thumbsup:

12. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

Appreciated but it pretty much needs to be a metal one. I've sent requests to several retailers on eBay, asking them for details. :)

13. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

Update on this: neither of the sellers on eBay replied and the Mercedes dealership told me they can see the parts but their size isn't listed in their system. Just what the part is for...makes sense after all if someone wants it for their car.

14. Hmm... You could always have it 3D printed. It's really cheap these days and you can get it in metal. Check out iMaterialize and Shapeways.

I could probably whip up a model for you pretty fast. It's a way simple design.

15. Tom

Tom
    Staff Emeritus Staff

That'd be great. Thought about those solutions as some sort of last resort. :)

16. OK. Flat on the back, or some sort of mount?