Mercedes optimistic of achieving 2012 goals

nicp-rosberg-mercedes-japan-2011-01.jpg

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn says he is optimistic that the Anglo-German team can achieve its 'ambitious' 2012 goals.
The Mercedes outfit hasn't been in contention for a single race win since it came into being at the start of 2010, when championship winning outfit, Brawn GP, was taken over by the German manufacturer.

Brawn however is more hopeful for 2012 after a spate of technical hirings throughout 2011. Bob Bell, Aldo Costa and Geoff Willis all joined the team this year and will collectively work on next years car, a car Brawn is putting his faith in.

"Like all new cars it is designed with lots of references, as compared to the car we have now," said the 56-year-old. "Of course we are optimistic and believe that we can produce a better car than we have now. What we do not know, however, is what the others bring to the pass.

"But like any team we put our faith in a new car and make our goals as ambitious as possible. All our engineers are working hard to achieve these goals."

Though Brawn added that whilst the team has set its expectations high, it doesn't mean they'll be achieved, as proven this season.

source

The last couple of races they are progressing. Not sure if Mercedes GP is the only of the top teams still developing the 2011 car, but to me it looks they are bridging the gap a bit.

For 2012 it can only get better. They have by far the best engine of the field, a top developer (Brawn) and unlimited resources (Mercedes). I for one hope to see MSC on the podium once before he signs out.

He was so unlucky at Canada. I really thought he'd get the podium. I'd like to see Rosberg get a win, he's been around for a good while now and has the skill to do it, just needs the right car underneath him.

Rosberg at Shanghai and Schmacher at Canada were both times Mercedes were soo close to a podium, I feel it's not too far away. As for a race win..

I hope their 2012 car can match or even better the top 3 teams.

They have had a few good runs this year such as Rosberg being in the lead for one race.
The current car has some flaws such as it's eating tires away but I think that if they cure that and starts improving in qual I think they can perhaps be on edge next year.
They got a big supporter on their back with money (Mercedes), a great designer and great drivers, now they just need to find that little extra.

Call me missinformed, but when I first heard Mercedes were entering the championship in 2010, I was excited; when I heard they were taking over for Brawn GP, I was floored; when I heard they were bringing back seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher to drive one of the cars, I was AMAZED, thinking that this team was about to win the title... Now, I just think of them as the all hype team of Formula 1. They're going to have to actually do something out on track before I start believing in them again.

I agree with everything, except that when they announced Schumacher as their driver, I was like "meh".

I understand he's a legend and stuff but I think he'd be better off giving his experience as a consultant and technician for Mercedes GP and give his seat to younger and talented drivers like Hulkenberg. Not saying that he isn't talented, though.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back