Cars Mercedes-Benz W125 1937 W.I.P.

By opening this thread we are announcing the beginning of the project. The team behind this car is the same as it was for Jaguar Xj13 mod.

Mercedes-Benz W125 was last pre-war Grand Prix car of 750kg maximum weight and unlimited power formula, this car and AutoUnion Type C dominated the season. It was most powerful racing car till Can-Am series.

The unique combination of skinny old fashion low durability tires, insane amount of power by outstanding straight-8 engine, high center of gravity and low weight without any fancy tricks to gain grip is something you should experience. Throttle is a privilege and brakes are as much high-tech as the tires, so you have to make sure you are slow enough at the entry, and car is settled fine if you are going to really push it.

Current state of the 3D model:

R9V4a8L.png

wj8COTy.png

Current state of in-game model:
LG1GtNT.jpg

4EaKnt4.jpg

Real thing
ray-143-new-D_NQ_NP_728611-MLA20614382940_032016-F.jpg

Some real footage, sadly no sound

AC needs an Army of track modders :D Maybe more teamwork and organisation ?

Sergio, how much more time it takes to mod a track for AC comparing to GPL era ? I guess these days it takes more time, because of more details. But as I watch GPL videos, I see that a lot of tracks were really good. Especially if you take it into account that it was ~15 years ago and maybe more.

Maybe it takes a little more time because of "small details" you can add at AC. The big problem with GPL tracks was the "clipping" problem, you have to take care how to design track section, to fit 3d objects on it. We spend a lot of time fixing this and other issues, plus we used very basic tools, i.e to create a 3d house you have to manually enter all vertices of the object!!! . With AC place objects is more like a "no limits experience", but you still had to spend a lot of time to correctly set lighting, textures. Once you learn all tips&tricks from AC track editing, everything goes pretty "full speed".
About all great GPL tracks, the key was that the vast majority of tracks were made by people who really wanted to run in them and in many cases were well aware. In those days there was not all the information we have today, then the key was finding someone from that area to help you, in my experience this was the case in Opatija, Brno, Porto and some other more. I think today many more skills are required in handling programs like 3dsmax and photoshop,wich makes beginners cost too much develop a circuit of very good quality. I hope that the translator has worked well.

Translator worked rather well, IMO :D

Yes it feels like that when you begin modding these days. Everything is so advanced, ton of things to pick up.

Much respect for you, older gen modders, it must have been not too easy with less effective 3d and 2d softwares plus less information on the web. Modeling by manually composing vertices doesn't sound fast.

Awesome tracks ! It was true phenomenon to have allt hese mods back then.

Opatija

Brno

Porto

Thank you guys for making this terrific car for us! It is fantastic to drive, even at this early stage. Cars like this, and the 250F are teaching me so much about driving in AC. They require constant steering and throttle input (not so much with the brakes though :D) and force you to plan your lines much more than modern cars do.

I am really looking forward to watching this beast develop over time :thumbsup: (I guess I should get back to work on the Deutschlandring now :roflmao:)

I think now I really need to ask around if I'm allowed to do a full photoscan of that Autounion Awtowelo... I feel like its a rather simple shape to model, has no visible suspension, I can actually measure things on it and its never been done before in a game... hmm...

Thank you guys for making this terrific car for us! It is fantastic to drive, even at this early stage. Cars like this, and the 250F are teaching me so much about driving in AC. They require constant steering and throttle input (not so much with the brakes though :D) and force you to plan your lines much more than modern cars do.

I am really looking forward to watching this beast develop over time :thumbsup: (I guess I should get back to work on the Deutschlandring now :roflmao:)

a little bit off topic, but drove the GPL 55 mod and you are right, you have to take care of lines, not be hard on brakes, i did not have the AC 250F, i think is time to take a look at it :)
really looking forward for this projects :)

So many bits of the physics that are just (sometimes educated) guesses at this point... It's such an early car, so different from anything we/I have to compare it to IRL or in AC. Glad it manages to be fun already. :)

I have a decent drawing of the suspension (in 2 axes anyway) to integrate and we found data on the wheel offsets, but if anyone happens to have knowledge to share about this car or others of its era I would be beyond grateful. (Perhaps there is more information, maybe even offline in books/etc., in the German-speaking world?)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back