Members Projects

Abdul-if you do it properly:)p) and make your own wheel, then it is actually easier, and more like real life, to basically make a little window for the display. If you get some polaroid filters, then the colours look better, and it looks pretty sexy with carbon to boot :)

Upvote 0
Here is my way of starting a crappy button box with a not so aligned buttons on the right. Its still a WIP and something to kickstart my electrical degree LOL.

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 372
Upvote 0
Mrs was fuming when I was using the dinning table for DIY. I am definitely in ATCC S3, a lil bit handicapped having not raced the cars in yonks, but its the taking part that counts. Thanks William

Upvote 0
Done with the buttons. Once all is working fine I will fine tune the DIY by using the other side of the box. Will make sure everything is in a straight line and looking pleasing to the eye lol. Time to start the wiring.

I have 14 buttons, while the USB controller has 12 direct connection to buttons. It does say a maximum of 32 buttons. How can I connect all the 14 buttons?

Whoever laughs I'll call my boys over to sort ya out.

Attachments

• IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0
generally to use more buttons you have to wire in a matrix. How this is done will vary depending on the board.

I made one a school years ago but its been a while :)

General Idea is that each button will actual be connected to 2 or more inputs on the board. This allows you to have as many buttons as you have combinations of switches. Which combinations map to which theoretical button number is something you'll need to dig out from the boards documentation.

eg to make 3 inputs from 2 on the board

DIRECT
switch # / board input #
1 / 1
2 / 2

MATRIX
1 / 1
2 / 2
3 / 1 & 2

as the number increases you start to not want to be using the direct inputs and only use matrix otherwise press buttons 1 and 2 together would equal the same as pressing button 3 and thats usualy not a desirable outcome.

Depending on the board and software some inputs may become modifier channels. So in the example about direct input 3 could be the modifier giving:

1 / 1
2 / 2
3 / 1 & 3
4 / 2 & 3

using this method you could use software to add huge amounts of extra buttons.

Upvote 0
Going with the basic connection. Button box is ready to go. 12 buttons (4 Rotaries, 1 Toggle switch, rest push buttons).

Went to maplin today and bought a rotary tool which made things very very easy plus extra buttons like the starter one. Ignore the mess. :cool:

Will be making an update to the box sometime soon.

Attachments

• IMAG0164b.jpg
    IMAG0164b.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0
This is not how to do it (first image). I had to use another perpex board to create the 2nd version.

Once SLI Pro has arrived I'll start with the layout.

Attachments

• IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 319
Upvote 0
Update :)

A massive thanks goes out to Will Marquez. Helped me alot, he also sent me template for the SLI Pro and the cables to connect SLI pro to buttons which is worth £7 alone. Thanks m8. Also thanks goes out to Brian and Kris and everyone involved. You lot infected me with modding my wheel. :)

imag0023c.jpg

More work to be done. Trust me when I say the backside of the plate is messy. But this will do for now until I come up with a solution soon.

Upvote 0
Looking good Abdul :)

When you mount it, is it going as it is in the picture (ie. infront of the wheel), or are you moutning it behind the wheel?

Just a note, if your moutning it behind, be careful of trapping the little wires for the G25`s buttons, those little buggers worm there way into the path of the bolt shaft and 'chop', the button no longer works (i fell for that trap lol).

What ever you do, dont set it up to use, or you'll never tidy the wires up! :)

Seriously though, you may want to get those tidied as best you can and as soon as you can, because imagine going through all that hard work getting it made, and one or more of those wires snags on something. :no:

Upvote 0
Kris, already minor bugs to be sorted. Its mounted infront of the wheel. I unplugged the g25 buttons for now. Working on a new design to accomodate all switches/encoders n buttons. There is empty space around the plate I could use lol.

SLI Pro is some crazy stuff. Amazing piece of hardware.

Upvote 0
Thanks Brian,

I did it all for around 30 bucks. The next one will be a bit more, but for my first go, I like it. I am pretty handy with tools, so it went easily. When I was a kid all the way back in the 70's, my grandfather used to take me to his machine shop. Things kinda stayed with me a bit :)

There will be more to come!

d

Upvote 0
<snip> way back in the 70's, my grandfather used to take me to his machine shop. Things kinda stayed with me a bit :)

There will be more to come!

d

That kind of thing doesn`t seem to happen anymore and its a damned shame.

I used to stand watching and later helping my grandfather in his garage working on all kinds of cars.
Shame i never carried it on.

Let this be a lesson to everyone here. If you have any basic or advanced tools skills, PLEASE, teach them to your kids. Lets keep the tools knowledge rollin' ;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back