1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Measuring track "flow"

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Kevin Knorpp, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ian Franssen

Ian Franssen
    Premium Member

funny subject Kevin:) Just wondering, do you feel the Flowfactor calculations add up with your own feel of "flow" on a track?

2. No offense but don't understand. What is funny? Assuming your question is sincere, the answer is "yes" since the g-force threshold I am using is based on direct observation of real-time telemetry data while AI is driving track. If you ate genuinely interested I can elaborate, but if you think what I am doing is silly, then I'd prefer to keep the details of my methodology to myself and let the results speak for themselves based on whether people use the resource.

Edit - FYI OP has been edited.

3. I've noticed from reading a lot of posts from non-native english speakers (and some native speakers) that "funny" is often used to mean "good" or "interesting". I'm sure Ian meant no offense. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ian Franssen

Ian Franssen
    Premium Member

It is indeed what Rhys said:) I ment it in a way that I never thought of it before, and for that reason an interesting look/approuch on it, in Dutch we actually say "wat grappig", which is the dutch translation of that's funny. So indeed just bad english from my side, which I picked up from movies. I thought that my smiley was enough to make clear that I didn't meant it in a bad way:)

5. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

why don't you just drive ovals? I know they're not as interesting with lack of turns but you would have good flow?

6. No worries and thanks for explanation. :thumbsup: Let me know if you have additional questions. It is very interesting when I add a track because before I complete the calculations I try to predict just based on my perception/feel where it is going to fall relative to the other tracks I have already calculated and is almost exactly where I expect it is going to be and also my predictions are getting better also because I know a track with many chicanes, for example, is going to have a lower FlowFactor than another track that has a similar number of turns per km but more high speed turns.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Absolutely :) , Nazareth is next on my list and it will have excellent flow without question. Most of the time I want more variety but on occasion when I race an oval I usually have a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium Member

personally I love f1. it's no coincidence that i'm better on tracks which aren't stop start hard braking zones. i actually like late braking but i'm not great on corner exits.
    love spa, hungaroring, catalunya, malaysia, china, hockenheim..actually, that's a lot of the f1 tracks. when i compare them to monaco, there is no contest.

9. Yep. I love all those tracks, especially with historic f1 except Monaco which is suicide with historic f1 so I opt for the f2

• Like Like x 1