1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McLaren to have a Honda engine in 2014??

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by mk_redbull, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Has anyone else heard that McLaren maybe lining up to have a Honda engine in 2014 when they switch over to V6 engines?
  2. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Ive heard that Honda is considering a return as engine supplier. With Mercedes offering their best to Mercedes GP a move from McLaren to Honda would'nt be that strange. They have a great history together :)
  3. With F1 returning to Turbo engines and sadly seems like the new Type R also will be Turbo, maybe they want to development that technology.
  4. The world is turning to turbos so they can replace there 2.0L n/as with 1.4 turbos and make the same power and save fuel, i think there will be plenty of manufacturers intrested in this, but i hope to god they increase the RPM to 19k or so with less displacement you need more RPM for a decent sounding engine pushed to its boundary for the sake of technology.
  5. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Apparently it will be 15,000.
  6. yeah i know, but considering the engine is considerably smaller and lower revs its still going to sound rubbish.

it will end up sounding more like a motorbike engine.

I hope after a year of having it they relise it needs more revs.
  7. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

Smaller Engine + More Revs = More engine failures = higher costs.

hence the reason for the cap on rev limits we currently have
  8. yeah i know this, but the engines will quite simply turn f1 tame.
  9. Just searched for it. '88 Honda 1.5 V6 Turbo engine, 650bhp @ 12500. I don't think it sounded bad:D
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

I think it's all relative.
    It'll hopefully shuffle the pack up a bit. Re-starting the development race.
  11. I'm with Péter, I think we will finally have nice sounds since the end of the V12 ! V10 and V8 are just awful sounding ! (In modern F1 of course)
  12. I think you are all missing 1 big thing here. There is a also the fact that Mclaren has made there own racing v8 for there road car for the GT stuff they have also said they will make a v6 but when asked if they would use these engines in f1 they said no comment
  13. F1 engines =/ Street car engines

'nuff said...
  14. Its not a street car engines its a racing 1 for there gt cars
  15. BMW V10 > any other engine ever

16. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Ferarri V12?
  17. needed a bit more revs imo, but if they had left the regs to 3.5L till like the mid 2000s then i think we probably could of heard the best engine sound ever to come from an engine.
  18. The V10's are horrid *pukes*

Sounds like a little girl who lost her favourite barbie ! It just revs wayyyy too much...

Nice sounds:

(Starts a bit later)

19. Kyle Puttifer

Kyle Puttifer
    @ Simberia @Simberia

2005 Mercedes, it sounded different (from onboard) at every race!
  20. Sounds like every other race car to me william..

thats why i like the high pitched f1 engines because there unique.