McLaren Interested in Works LMP1 GT Return?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
McLaren Le Mans Return 2.jpg

McLaren Automotive have speculated a potential return to top level GT competition, subject to the future of the Prototype division of endurance racing.

With a mass exodus of works manufacturers from the World Endurance Championship ringing many alarm bells throughout the world of endurance racing, McLaren have recently given a major shot in the arm to the failing series by confirming their interest in a fully backed manufacturer return to the discipline, subject to agreeable regulation changes and manageable budgetary considerations.

Executive Director of the McLaren Technology Group, the charismatic Zak Brown, has spoken up of his desire to see the famous British marque expand into the top tier of endurance racing alongside it's Formula One commitments, but only if the World Endurance Championship make significant changes to the way the series is currently run under joint stewardship of the ACO and World Motorsport governing body, the FIA;

"I believe the WEC has an opportunity to hit the reset button," said Brown. "I'd love them to get back to the Porsche 956 or 962 days, where factory and privateer teams can race together knowing they each have chances of winning.

"Right now, with the current rules, that's just not possible. But look at the success of the LMP2 category, where costs are controlled for the benefit of everyone, so I'd like to see that kind of thinking transferred to LMP1.

"It's a bit like the DPi situation in IMSA. The manufacturers have spoken with their feet over there. If the WEC can replicate the same spirit and cost effectiveness of a rules package with an element of hybrid technology – of which I'm a big fan – then we're interested."
Brown considers the substantial costs of remaining competitive in the current LMP1 era of endurance racing as one of the main reasons the series has hit such lean times recently, citing the opportunity to "reset" the series as a big draw to bringing down costs whilst still remaining relevant to the road car industry and new technologies;

"Set the economic criteria first, and do it so you reflect the great history of the sport. You don't necessarily need to replicate IMSA's DPi platform, but use its spirit perhaps. Another alternative would be to make DPi a fully-global platform. Again, we'd be interested in that."

"R&D needs to be a benefit for any manufacturer in motorsports, but it's not the only reason to do it. If it's not an efficient spend, there's no point – it should be in proportion to the payback. At end of day, motor racing is a marketing exercise."
With positive noises coming from McLaren and rumours circulating that several other high profile manufacturers could be interested in joining should a move to lower costs and increased competitiveness come to fruition, the future of the top category in endurance racing may not seem quite a dire as recent weeks suggest.

For more news from the big wide world of motorsports head over to our Motorsport sub forum and get involved in the action.

McLaren Le Mans Return.jpg
McLaren Le Mans Return 3.jpg
McLaren Le Mans Return 4.jpg

Would you like to see a return of the McLaren name to top tier endurance racing? Can the ACO and FIA resurrect a faltering series before it eventually dies a slow death? How can the series attract more big names like McLaren going forward? Let us know in the comments section below..

Last edited:
I'd love to see a 650s GTE car... But its gonna be the 720 i think if they go for it since the 650s is now a few years old. Either way be good to see them back. And with Bentley releasing the new 2018 Continental which more sleek than its goofy older brother that could be a very good base model for a GTE car... Would be nice to see Bentley and McLaren back but maybe i'm dreaming a bit too much.

I guess the original article I read was being slightly misquoted as Racer.com mentioned McLaren were interested in DPi not LMP1.

I personally think DPi is a better option for them. It's considerably less expensive and at the moment DPi is the more successful top prototype category in my view. It's been reported that Audi have been looking at running a car under the Lamborghini brand and that would be cool if that happens. Imagine the aero styling on one of those! :inlove:

There's also the element of publicity. The whole DPi program came about because manufacturers wanted to win overall and get the headlines but at a reasonable cost.

I love the LMP1-H cars but when you are talking about $30 million+ to run two cars over a season I can't see that being an option for them. The new LMP1's for next year are customer only so McLaren could make chassis and sell it to customers but not race it themselves.

So if they are serious we would be looking at 2020 or 2021 at the earliest.

A GTE McLaren? Yes that's a possibility I suppose. Although again GTE is supposedly for factory entrants and I'm not sure McLaren want to go to the expense of running their own cars. They seem happier selling to customers in GT3 which is understandable.

Forget about GT1, it's gone. I don't want it back. It was great at the time and I loved it but it went the way of LMP-H. The cars became more and more expensive and the teams just ran out of money. GT3 is in danger of going the same way and I know that the SRO are keeping a close eye on things to make sure the spendings don't go crazy.

On another note, I'm sure some of you have seen it, but the WEC calendar looks like it's going to be cut back for 2018. Probably losing the races before Le Mans and just having a few races afterwards. So Silverstone will probably go which is a shame, was kind of looking forward to seeing the new breed of LMP1 customer cars:(

Instead of hitting the reset button every few years why not just stop messing around with the whole Le Mans concept and go back to the basics of what made this race the greatest race on earth.

For starters stop trying to convince your audience and paying customers that motorsport is green, as it isn't and never will be.

Add some mighty V12 petrol engines and see how much the audience will love it :) If this means that big brands aren't interested anymore because of the lost green marketing value so be it, the LM24 will have a full grid of privateers with epic cars again.

Looking forward to a eventual McLaren GTE entry.

As for DPi and the people that see it as the new Group C... I think there will be a rude awakening at some point. Costs will spiral eventually and the cycle will continue, like always...

The SJWs can always watch Formula E instead.
Get your politics out of here.

No, get your politics out of racing.
Well I don't give a **** what your political affiliations are and what outside politics you think have bad influence on the sport. You brought politics into the discussion, not me. And on top with your post you're showing ignorance for technological progress and the engineering that goes into these cars, ignorance for the people manufacturing and running the cars, and you're pissing on and being exclusive to people in the sport over which formula/class they like to watch ("DPi should be adopted as the new LMP1. With no hybrid gimmick. SJWs can always watch Formula E instead"). I don't think this attitude has any place on a website about simracing and motorsport. If you hate hybrids or electric vehicles so much then go ahead and rant about that all day (best if you can back up your aversion in a logical fashion), but keep your political views outside and above all talk with respect of other fans. If you don't think motorsport should be inclusive you certainly won't find me welcoming you, "NASCRAP".

By the way, if you really think the electric cars since the mid 1800s and hybrids since the late 1800s were invented, built and driven solely because of political ideals you're sorely mistaken, and if you can't see the benefits, the applications of said technologies and their place in the sport you're simply a fool. Technological advancements have no regard for politics. Or your nostalgia for old race cars for that matter.

McLaren are not interested in an LMP1 or DPi program. The quote was intentionally misinterpreted by a website which has become infamous for doing this sort of nonsense (they once claimed a Ferrari LMP1 was confirmed). McLaren have confirmed they aren't looking at DPi, and LMP1 is current about 5-10 times too expensive.

McLarent are always looking at a GTE program though. The MP4/12C chassis (and therefore the 650S) was built with GTE regs in mind, and no doubt the 720 will be too. But that doesn't mean it's happening.

I'll be honest (and I guess this is just me doing some advertising), the ridiculous BS clickbait in sportscar news really started annoying me this year. It actually pushed me to start a new website in 2018, which will hopefully get some traction. Site is actually built and ready now, just practicing writing and article style/techniques before an early 2018 launch. Sportscar and Endurance racing news and speculation - reported in a more transparent and honest fashion.

(This is not a dig at RD - RD does a great job doing some motorsport news, especially for an amateur site. The problem was the source of the initial interview was twisting it, again).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back