1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Mclaren A True Challenger For 2015 ?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Darth, Dec 22, 2014.

1. peter-prodromou-red-bull-racing.jpg

After signing Alonso and keeping Button and creating a partnership with Honda,
    now Mclaren has also brought back Peter Prodromou.
    Could this be a combination of talent and passion that will lead them to the top,
    or is it all talk and no action?

2. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

I think on paper they have to be considered a contender.
    It all comes down to whether the Honda engine is a 'Mercedes' or a 'Renault' in terms of first year performance and reliability.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. R.J. O'Connell

R.J. O'Connell
    Premium Member

They've invested way too much into this revitalization to fail now.

4. Well, Mr Dennis has said the power unit that Honda have developed is rather special.

• Haha Haha x 1
  5. The same Ron Dennis who said Mclaren could win races in 2014 mind you, its way too early to say they have something special because they don't know Mercedes engine improvements which could blow them out of the water again :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. This is true.

7. Well, I do expect Alonso to be pushing McLaren in 2015 along with Button developing the MP4 30. I do hope that McLaren will be pushing for podiums and wins in 2015.

8. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

Others have reported that the engine is 'thirsty and underpowered'.

All rumours and hear-say at this point.

9. Just hope the testing in Jerez doesn't fall flat.

10. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.

Its such a hard one to call with no facts and just hyperbole and hearsay to go on.
    One thing we know. Honda are engine junkies. Its what they have always done best.
    From 6 cylinder Motorbikes to single cylinder generator engines. Engines is what Honda is.

What is a bit amazing to me is that so few years after leaving F1 following a very expensive and unsuccessful foray as a constructor they are back with big bucks and big dreams again.

It was a great irony that just as they gave up, the fruit of their labours was the Brawn F1 car that took WCC and WCC. They not only gave the team to Brawn they gave them circa 50-100million to sort it all out for them (redundancies etc).
    Ross Brawn then won the titles on a shoe-string and then sold his team to M/Benz with a deal that included him keeping his job too..
    Damn clever really.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Frank

Frank
    Administrator Staff Premium Member

Different times, different measures, they went out because of the looming crisis, they saw to much risk and now they see it is safe again. Let's see how they do :).