McLaren 650S and New Update for RaceRoom Racing Experience

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Racing Experience McLaren 650S 3.jpg

Sector3 Studios have deployed a new update for RaceRoom Racing Experience today, also making available the new McLaren 650S GT3.

The new update, deployed today and available the next time you open your Steam account, is the latest in a long line of build releases from Sector3 Studios and contains a nice mix of retrospective issue corrections and core game improvements. Of the most noticeable change today, RaceRoom Racing Experience now has the latest in a growing range of McLaren GT3 specification machines in the form of the stunning 650S, the same car as now entered in a number of high profile GT3 championships the world over.

Boasting a strong field of GT3 class vehicles already in the title, the 2015 specification McLaren 650S is one of the first models of the "new generation" GT3 machines finding its way into the RaceRoom lineup of cars. Featuring a 3.8L V8 Twin Turbo delivering 500 Nm torque to the real wheels the McLaren 650S is a thoroughbred racecar that is bound to make a mark with players of the title.

The McLaren 650s GT3 is available to purchase in the RaceRoom store for £3.34 or £6.03 with all 17 liveries included.

Changelog 20/04/2017

Added McLaren 650S GT3 which is now available in the store.

Game
Data displays:
  • Fixed wrong color of delta and laptime on some of the new data displays.
  • Fixed an issue where Low Fuel warning on data display screen wasn’t going away.
  • Fixed an issue on cars with new data displays where the compact HUD rev lights had issues when not using cockpit cam.
  • Enabled tire temperature even when tirewear is disabled.
  • Added speed limited revlight blinking to old data displays.
  • Citroen data display had a typo in "Brake balance"
  • Fixed issue with displays sometimes showing data for wrong car when “show opponent cockpits” was enabled.
  • Various other fixes and tweaks to existing displays.
Flag system:
  • Fixed yellow flag appearing during private Qualifying.
  • Fixed White flag appearing in MP Qualifying session that used rolling start.
  • Fixed an issue in a race with additional lap, checkered flag was showing when timer reached zero and at end of additional lap.
  • Fixed an issue where an illegal overtake under yellow followed by a retirement of the overtaken car would result in the impossibility to give the position back
  • Fixed an issue where checkered flag did not appear for final lap in MP server with flag rules enabled.
  • Time allowed to give a position back after an illegal overtake increased from 15 to 30 seconds
  • Yellow flag now triggers for cars at 20% of their predicted speed ( was 10% )
  • White flag trigger now requires a car to be 70 kph under its predicted speed (was 30) The other trigger condition remains at 40% of its predicted speed.
  • Fixed 2 Race Format only saving replay of second race.
  • Fixed Multiple Race format giving overall results that did not count points.
  • Re-enabled allowing turning shadow split off after some potential issues reported with AMD Crossfire.
  • Possible fix for the issue where some players, depending on setup had their input frozen.
  • Added some logging when initializing texture and setting video mode.
  • Added a new startup argument for disabling TrackIR. -disableTrackIR can now be added in Steam Launch Options.
  • Slow down penalty throttle limitation doesn't get activated immediately anymore, but waits until the player applies some brake. This also fixes occurrences of penalties triggering heavy lift oversteer on FWD cars.
Multiplayer:
  • Added handling for more JOIN_FAIL messages so error messages are more specific.
  • Fixed so join request timeouts are correctly reported as a timeout instead of generic lost connection message.
  • Added some fixes when on occasion, connections were not dropping when leaving sessions.
  • Changed so client doesn't respond to ping requests unless connected or trying to join.
Sounds, Cameras, Physics & AI:
  • Citroen WTCC 2016 has received a slight increase in engine torque at low to med rpm.
Art:
  • Audi TT cup cars have a new display

• Audi DTM 2016 finally has its new display
Backend & Portal:
  • Fixed top Leaderboard banner in competitions not scaling properly.
  • Fixed a minor alignment issue with VIP drivers description box in Portal.
  • Fixed exit "x" button on partner page section clipping with the page and looking out of place.
  • Fixed facebook section in partner page overlapping with top banner.
  • Some fixes to the redeem popup in portal.
  • Fixed error 13 some players were receiving after exiting wtcc championship round 1.
  • Fixed so players from USA and Canada get USD as default currency instead of the global default EUR.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation exclusive to PC. Additional content can be purchased via the RaceRoom Store.

RaceRoom Racing Experience McLaren 650S 2.jpg

Don't forget to check out our awesome RaceDepartment RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum to stay abreast of all the latest news and discussions regarding the title. Check out our setups forum where you can download a community created car setup, or have a look at our thriving Racing Club for the game, a place where all skill and experience levels are welcomed to come along and enjoy the racing action online with friends.

Have you tried the new update yet? What do you think of the McLaren? Which other GT3 cars would you like to see added to the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Over the years I have paid pretty much top price for content in r3e. When nordschliefe was released I paid nearly 1000 vrp then a few months later I saw an offer on my sons own account for nords plus several other the tracks for 800vrp. I haven't bought any content since despite having 3500vrp in my account.
I think the business model is awful. So I enjoy the older content and eventually when they have released a lot more content I will pick up the premium pack for a nice cheap price. No way I am paying 500vrp for a single track ever again...

So far i was really okay with the pricing in R3E, but now it get's to a stage where people who own a lot of the available content get punished for it, while people who jump in now benefit the most. It's the same shady tactic telecommunication companies use, overwhelm new customers with discounts, while letting loyal long-term customers pay the full price (with all their internal additional charges). I don't like that.

I had spent over $100 in the game in 2015 where I have not spend a cent on R3E since then. I am really hesitant to spend more money in the game because I do not feel I am getting a good deal out of the game. It costs too much for long time players to continue to be invested in the game.

The business model had always been the worst part of the game. I am really reluctant to pay $4 for one car when I can get like a car pack for $8 in another game. I understand that they provide exceptional support for their content but $4 for a car with one livery still feels too steep for me.

No doubt the premium pack is a wonderful way to get into a game but after that, you will probably pay much more for more new content.

I try to avoid getting involved in the business model discussions thst rear their heads in almost every R3E content thread, but I find myself agreeing that this time at nearly £4 for a car and a livery does seem a tad extreme. The points being made regarding the punishing of older loyal customers resonate with me especially since it's a car that I will most likely never use but like to have the content for replays of our events. Thinking further ahead is it going to be the same with all future cars releases. Strangely enough I never grudge the cost of a track.

The points being made regarding the punishing of older loyal customers resonate with me especially since it's a car that I will most likely never use but like to have the content for replays of our events.

What?! You can't watch replays of races that contain cars you don't own yourself? :confused:

About the sales model, how often do S3 release individual cars? I've only owned the sim since January but there have been what, two so far? The reason I ask is because if they usually add complete series then asking a tenner or so isn't really that bad. It's about on par with DLC prices for other sims. But £5+ for one car is far, far too much. I actually decided not to buy this car due to the cost, and it was only when people mentioned the starter pack "trick" that I did. Of course, from what I've read here that option will now no longer work for me in the future.

I discovered this last year when I needed a replay to study an incident, I hadn't been in the race so was sent one, it wouldn't work, I got another of a race where I owned all the cars and it was fine, someone then told me that was the reason the first didn't work.
There isn't a lot of content I don't own, but I won't buy until the physics are updated, because we don't use them in club races.

The points being made regarding the punishing of older loyal customers resonate with me especially since it's a car that I will most likely never use but like to have the content for replays of our events.
No, you can always watch your own replays. Only when trying to load a replay that someone else sent you, you need to own the car and the track being used by that person.

About the sales model, how often do S3 release individual cars? I've only owned the sim since January but there have been what, two so far? The reason I ask is because if they usually add complete series then asking a tenner or so isn't really that bad. It's about on par with DLC prices for other sims. But £5+ for one car is far, far too much. I actually decided not to buy this car due to the cost, and it was only when people mentioned the starter pack "trick" that I did. Of course, from what I've read here that option will now no longer work for me in the future.

It depends on how you see it as one could argue that the TT cups, FR US, Tatuus and so on are also individual cars as they are fairly expensive to be honest. If you see it that way, then, yes, there are quite a fair bit of individual cars.

If you are talking about the individual GT3 cars, I think the 650S would be the second one as there is still the R8, AMG and the Callaway Corvette that will probably be released in similar manner. Perhaps one could wait for the ADAC2016 pack that will have all 5 new GT3, then only buy the cars in a potentially more discounted pack. That could potentially save more money but this would mean that it would be another long waiting game.

Most other classes in the game are released in a class which no one complained about the price of DTM, WTCC and so on as they are quite reasonable.

That's actually a good point about some series being essentially just once car with a load of liveries. I hadn't thought of it that way. They should indeed be cheaper than a series that has numerous models. As for the other GT3s that a coming... huh... not so keen on them if I have to buy them piecemeal for £5 a pop. :unsure:

I think a good way to even things out would be to give all users who purchase the premium pack get the same heavy discount. Or any pack for that matter. Unfortunately, I fear that when gtr3 gets released, unless there is a serious overhaul of the business model, this game is going to die slowly. Which i would hate because ive invested a lot of time and money into it and it was slowly becoming my favorite sim.

but thats the problem. I cant buy any of the packs again. So it gets me even more frustrated that im seeing other people are able to rebuy the packs and get discounts. every single pack I try and repurchase just says Not added to cart because I already own it. The system is too inconsistent. Im seeing people get it for a dollar and im stuck paying 8. And I know thats not a lot of money but its the principle. Im paying 7-8x more for the same thing. Its like im being punished for owning almost all of the content
surely it has to work the same for all users? It can't be so that you cannot repurchase a pack when others can and besides not being able to repurchase as you already own it sounds like the correct use case. They aren't using multiple accounts or something are they? Sector3 should clarify the logic of this.
[EDIT] didn't see earlier replies, I get it now that something changed after a certain date so any pack purchased before then could be repurchased..

Last edited:
I just don't understand the complaints about 4 euro being too much to pay for a brand new car or track :( And I'm in the position where I literally have to consider every single purchase for the game and can pretty much ignore any pack deals.

I cant buy any of the packs again. So it gets me even more frustrated that im seeing other people are able to rebuy the packs and get discounts. every single pack I try and repurchase just says Not added to cart because I already own it. The system is too inconsistent.

Where did you see people being able to rebuy the packs? You can't buy again a pack you already own.

I just don't understand the complaints about 4 euro being too much to pay for a brand new car or track :(

The complaint from me is that it's not good value. For new tracks it's absolutely fine, I'll happily pay £5 all day long. But £4 for a solitary car is too much. Compare it to other sims to see why. In AC you can get a DLC containing Nords and 9 cars or another containing Redbull Ring and 7 cars for a paltry £7 each. Or how about 3 tracks and 8 cars in AMS for £15? (That price is worth the tracks alone.) So now you can see why it's a very poor sales model for customers.

Where did you see people being able to rebuy the packs? You can't buy again a pack you already own.

I don't think you can re-buy packs you already have. What you can do is buy packs you have never bought before and get a major discount on new content. For example, I bought the premium pack which contained everything in the sim up to the point of purchase. I can never buy that again... it's greyed out. But what I can do is buy the starter or pro packs, if they get new content added to them. That's how I got the McLaren for less than £1... bought the starter pack, got the bulk discount, plus a discount for all the stuff I already own. That pack is now greyed out too though, so like the premium pack, I can never buy it again.

The complaint from me is that it's not good value. For new tracks it's absolutely fine, I'll happily pay £5 all day long. But £4 for a solitary car is too much. Compare it to other sims to see why. In AC you can get a DLC containing Nords and 9 cars or another containing Redbull Ring and 7 cars for a paltry £7 each. Or how about 3 tracks and 8 cars in AMS for £15? (That price is worth the tracks alone.) So now you can see why it's a very poor sales model for customers.

I can understand the reasoning it's not good value compared to what you can get in some of the packs, but...it's still just 4 euro (or pounds) for a content that's more or less optional (at least with this car)...

Which is also why the comparison with AC fails for me. I've mentioned this before - I bought AC pretty much at the same time as I started buying more content for R3E (though I've driven AC on a few occassions before). So far, I've driven exactly 0 private races in AC compared to dozens of races in R3E - mostly because I pretty much own just the base game (plus Nordschleife, as that was a must for me) and nothing else, meaning there's very few races I can join since you have to own all of the content present in any given race and I'm always missing some cars or a track or something. And I much rather pay 4 euro per car/track in R3E for exactly the content I want and need than to pay 10 euro for AC DLC I'm not really interested but I'm forced to own it if I want to join say a simple GT3 race, despite me owning a perfectly eligible GT3 car already. This, to me, is a business model *much* worse than what R3E offers, yet I usually see people complaining about the prices in R3E, not in AC for some reason.

I just don't understand the complaints about 4 euro being too much to pay for a brand new car or track :( And I'm in the position where I literally have to consider every single purchase for the game and can pretty much ignore any pack deals.
it has nothing to do with the price. its the principle. why am i paying 7 bucks as a long time supporter who owns pretty much all the content, but some are paying a dollar. FOR THE SAME PRODUCT! . Imagine standing in line at the supermarket and the customer in front of you buys a loaf of bread for 1.50 because i also bought ham at the same time. and then you come with the same loaf and pay 8 dollars because you bought ham last week. Sure 8 bucks isnt a lot of money, but you are telling me you wont feel cheated?

it has nothing to do with the price. its the principle. why am i paying 7 bucks as a long time supporter who owns pretty much all the content, but some are paying a dollar. FOR THE SAME PRODUCT! . Imagine standing in line at the supermarket and the customer in front of you buys a loaf of bread for 1.50 because i also bought ham at the same time. and then you come with the same loaf and pay 8 dollars because you bought ham last week. Sure 8 bucks isnt a lot of money, but you are telling me you wont feel cheated?

Not really, no. Why would I feel cheated? I bought the ham last week when there wasn't a deal that included the discount for bread. The discount for bread and ham is for people who are buying ham this week. Sucks for me, but that's just how it is. Do you feel cheated every time you go buy your groceries and find out that this week, there's a special discount on your favorite brand of bread that wasn't available in the weeks before?

Also, if you're asking yourself why you're paying 7 bucks while other people have an option to pay a dollar, you could as well be asking why pay anything at all since there are people with unlimited access to all of the content, like some YouTubers for example, or journalists. FOR THE SAME PRODUCT! There will always be better deals, just not available to you. Will you feel cheated every time someone gets a better deal on something than you did? Why?

(BTW notice that I've mentioned before I'm actually one of the people who bought the starter pack just a few days ago and by doing so missed the option to get this car for cheaper. Again - it sucks, but that's just how it is. We're not entitled to a better deal that didn't exist at the time.)

@Case_
I don't think it's about discounts, it's just a feeling that those of us who faithfully buy the content on release seem to be on the rough side of deals sometimes.
I think the fact that you can buy just one car and enter race series is good. I never baulk at buying a track but I was startled to discover that this car and all liveries would cost £6. Normally I just jump straight in and I have more than enough vRP in my account to have done so but for some reason this time I've held back.

@Kenny Paton Yeah, but S3 obviously don't care about whether you're a long term supporter or not. We can talk about whether they should or could (and it'd be nice of them if they did, sure, I think we could all agree on that), but since they don't, it all really just boils down to the fact that some people still have some options available to make their purchases cheaper (because they didn't buy out all of the discounted packs just yet) and some don't (because they've bought the packs a long time ago), and to, as Greg put it, "why am I paying 7 bucks and some people only pay a dollar for the same product", thinking it is somehow unfair that people who bought less content still have more options left to choose from and are therefore possibly getting better deals. So obviously, at least to Greg, it *is* about the discounts. I'm not saying it is the same for you or Ross, I was just replying to what Greg said.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 485 39.0%