Mazda RX-3 @ Lime Rock Mountain - Thu 22rd March 2012

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc76.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Mazda RX-3 (Download Caution - Large download, so don't leave it too late)
Track: Lime Rock Mountain (Download)

Practice start time: GMT 20.00
Qualification start time: GMT 20.30 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.40 (11 laps)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.00 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.10 (11 laps)

Note1: Skins that come with the Mod Only
Note2: Race1 = TC-65 Class, Race2 = GTC-76 Class

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Senad Subasic
  3. Jack Smith
  4. Dmytro Botnarenko
  5. Peter Van Zanten
  6. Warren Dawes
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver

Another enjoyable early morning with the GTL gentlemen.
This was my first race using my newly built seat, remarkbly using a Mazda car seat. ;) It was much more comfy and stable than the old office chair, and hopefully will help with my back problems.

I quite liked the car and track combo, these rotary engines can really scream up the rev range. Nice models too. I seemed to be a lot more competitive in the GTC-76 version which I preferred driving. For some reason, in Race 1, I was struggling for power in a couple of sections of the track, maybe I had the gearing set wrong. :rolleyes:

Race 1, I actually managed a reasonable start and jumped to P3 early, but slowly dropped through the pack due to regular errors and being swamped over one sector on a regular basis. I had some very close racing with Jacob, Roland, and Senad at various stages, really good fun. Mid race, I had a shocking spell of errors one after the other, culminating with an accidental drop into 1st gear :eek:, right in front of Jack, almost causing him a disaster. :oops:. Finished P6.

Race 2 saw another good start (two miracles in one day) getting me into the lead passing Stuart. The race quickly turned into a two horse race as everyone behind us seemed to have a spin or two (or three hey Jack), but Stu always seemed to have a slight edge, again mainly in one section of the track. The best I could do was to keep Stu honest and finish P2.

Grats to Mate and Stuart for the wins.

Thanks all for the good fun. Not sure how many more GTL events I'll make over the next few months with DST meaning even earlier starts. :(

Thanks to Stuart for a very good event, these cars are keepers I think.:D

Yes, another enjoyable event. :)
I found both cars quite stable to drive but the gear ratios had to be adjusted. For Race 1 I had set the1st gear very long and had good results practicing starts but come race time I started fishtailing and was lucky not to crash out. During the races when trying to press the issue and stay competitve, I found myself geting into some trouble (spinning in a couple corners), especially in the second race. I think I really need to settle down with these cars and find a suitable setup and get use to them because they are very drivable. It's just that the backend is impossible to get back when it decides to go and once off, everybody is long gone. As Warren stated I almost didn't get stopped in time but the car held true somehow and I avoided a collision or spinning off. Later in this race or the next one, I can't remember, someone else ahead of me spun in the same corner and I slowed down in the nick of time again but when I went to shift into third I hit 1st and spun off. Frantically got back on track hit the gas and spun head first into the wall, backed out, took off and spun again. Using way too much power for a smooth re-entry.

Well I didn't set any records, was one of the slowest but I finished both races and had fun trying to hang with the pack for a litltle while before I self-destructed. When my wife asked me how I did, I told her I won both races and in her eyes I'm a hero.:rolleyes: and maybe, just maybe, her headcahe might go away.:D

Grats podiums, thanks Stu for the effort put in to set all this up , and well done to all drivers.

The 1st race was perfect for me.
I was starting from the back of the pack and slowly got all the positions.
I stayed between Stuart and Dmytro for a few laps, just for the race feeling. I was realy enjoyed it! Stuart defended his position very clearly. I launched my rockes in the 6th or 7th lap and finished on the 1st place with a bigger gap.

The 2nd race was much more difficult for me. I never driven these cars before and I didn't have the time to make a good setup for the Gr. 5 Mazda. I think there's some problem with the suspension geometry or stuff like that, coz the end of the car is very slippery.
But the real problem is, what Jack wrote down. It's almost impossible to get back the end of the car, when it decides to go off.
Started from the back again and got the positons one by one until the sharp left corner, where I spun out and took a 10 sec. drawback.
Than I had to be quick to reach the guys at the front. Almost got them in the 7th lap but spun again in the same corner.:rolleyes:
Finished in the 3rd place with 3 spins.

Well done Stu and thank you for the organization!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 521 38.3%