1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Maybe I can become a Truckie ?

Discussion in 'Formula Truck 2013' started by Warren Dawes, May 9, 2013.

1. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

I've just bought this Sim, and after a very brief intro, I'm fairly impressed.
    It looks good, sounds are great, and the driving seems like it should be fun (once I get some idea of how to keep it on the road :redface: ). It's sure not easy to drive these monsters, but this Sim represents something very different to the norm.

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced with rF so it will take me a while to get my way around the menus etc, but hopefully I can try to join a few on-line events once I get more familiar with how everything works. :)

• Like Like x 7
  2. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Haha nice one Warren. During each club event we serve free meatballs :roflmao:

The game itself doesn't need much customization other than assigning your controls and video settings and you are good to go.

The trucks are quite a handful to control but if you pick the lighter FC (Ford) or the Volkswagen you notice they are much easier to control than the heavier trucks.

See you online (finally again).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Thanks Bram, just tried those two trucks and they do seem slightly tamer, but I think I'm still trying to drive them like a Mini. :rolleyes::D

A couple of basic questions, mainly re rFactor On-Line.
    I just tried the RD Server (Curitiba) and seemed to be able to join it ok (takes a little time to get the connection). I notice some Option Settings for connection speed etc. What should I be using? Default is set to ISDN, but I have DSL. Should I choose the DSL setting closest to my local speed?
    There are a couple of other internet settings there too, should I leave them all at default?

Re Control settings, I've set my G27 up the same as your recommendations in the Setup Forum, and they seem ok for me at this stage. Rotation 500 and Steering Lock around 20 to 22. The only tricky part is the really tight turns (eg. getting out of the pit garage), I'm struggling to get it turned enough (scraping lots of paint on the concrete walls). Do you guys have your Steering Sensitivity set to 0 ? I assume this is the setting where you can have non linear steering to assist very tight slow turns? Normally I turn off all non-linear steering, but these trucks don't like tight slow turns.

4. Bram

Bram

I never change the online connection so ISDN should be good i think.

My G27 is set to 540 degrees with 23 steerlock in the setup menu of the vehicle with indeed zero sensitivity. But yeah these monsters don't turn in well at all so a nice slide into the corners is recommended :).

Make sure that you avoid the use of the 1st and the 2nd gear other than at the start of the race. 3rd is as low as you go when racing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hi Warren, I expect you may know this from reading previous stuff on setting these trucks up but it seems a def to get weight onto the rear, Soften the front suspension and stiffen the rear,, A fair bit of rear brake bias so as you brake for a corner it unsettles the rear then you can give it a bit of a scandanavian flick and drift it in! I disconnect the front arb and max the rear and drop the front tyre pressures abit aswell as lowering the rear packers, Ive got the set up how i like it now (After about 2 weeks of tinkering!) With good turn in especially on the Ford and Iveco, I find the Scania and Volvo are the worst for understeer but perhaps thats down to my driving style!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bram

Bram

blot interesting post, thanks

Would you mind sharing some of these settings in the setup forum? Seems a bit the opposite of what I've been trying so far and I am curious to test it.

7. I think what ive put above is a good starting point! You need to tweak it to your driving style, We need some lap times posted, With the Ford at Cascavel, Veteran and AI strength at 100% ive done a 1:18.368, That qualified me 3rd with Mercs everywhere around me! And i won the race, We need other peoples laptimes as a comparison, That will help me decide if i am going the right way on set up, All i know is that ive got the Ford hustling exactly how i like it! Giant killer!!

8. Saying all that having seen the guys video in the Nordschliefe thread i really dont take this sim as seriously as some people when it comes to kit!!

9. Bram

Bram

Kit? Kitt :)