Max Verstappen, the new king of overtaking?

It's the difficulty to pass. Now a days 8 out of 10 would not attempt such passes. The only ones I think that has massive balls and skills for this kind of overtakes are Hamilton, Max himself, Massa, Vettel, Raïkonnen, Ricciardo and Maldonado (WHENEVER HE'S NOT GUNNING FOR SOMEONE'S FUNERAL!)

He is a very talented young man and can have a brilliant future. But he is probably going to get stuck with FIA regulations and envious old drivers that can't overtake anymore.
He made a mistake at Monaco and people started to suppress him discussing if he should be in F1 or not.
Just let him be and give him a fast car.

EDIT: But he is very far from being a king, he is just talented.

I don't really get why the two moves on Nasr is being looked at as so great. Fair enough, outside of Blanchimont, but with tarmac runoff, and fresh soft tyres, vs used hards.
Same at Monza, outside into T1 isn't the first time it's worked, and again softs vs hards.

Perhaps because it are not all just DRS overtakes but he really has to out brake the other drivers most of the time due to the underpowered Renault engine. What stands out for me the most is that he doesn't need multiple attempts on getting passed someone. For sure sometimes tire situation played a role, but even then you still have to do it. Almost each time with his first attempt he gets past someone without locking wheels etc. For sure it needs some polishing like the move on Bottas in Spa for example. But if you can drive like this at his age with only one year of F3 under the belt, but still keeping up with a F3.5 champion then you do more than great. More important is that there is a lot of potential for this kid to improve even further. In Spa he was keeping up with a Ferrari:p.....

I think many people forget that he is driving a Toro Rosso with an crappy Renault engine.

"King" is not a word I would use to describe an exiting young F1 driver, that implies he rules overtaking above any other "past & present" but I'm splitting hairs.

Max is a very talented race car driver, he seems to have the race-craft of someone much older than 17. As for the aggression he shows, that's partly an affect of being so young, his frontal cortex is still developing and will continue to do so till his mid to late 20's, as a result, his ability to process the consequences of performing a risky overtake are somewhat restricted naturally. This can be said of anyone under 30. It's also partly the reason older drivers don't take risks, they rationalize the consequences before they act.

I think Max Verstappen is a super talented young driver, who will hopefully achieve his F1 dreams, the best part will be watching him pursue that dream.

While I would not yet call him the king of overtaking, he has impressed me a great deal.
This kid is 'ballsy'.
He is absolutely fearless....and very, very good.
I initially thought his lack of F1 testing...coupled with the management aspect (tires, fuel, ERS etc...) might see him struggle a bit.
Glad that didn't happen.

49.png

I think the next "champion" will be Ricciardo and he has achieved many great overtakes (if we can talk about overtaking in modern F1)!

F1 is also a matter of luck, some drivers have spotlights on them some not, Max got it a bit easily, with his father and lack of experience! He is doing relatively good, but with all those Renault engine problems, it's a bit early to judge him.

I think the next "champion" will be Ricciardo and he has achieved many great overtakes (if we can talk about overtaking in modern F1)!

F1 is also a matter of luck, some drivers have spotlights on them some not, Max got it a bit easily, with his father and lack of experience! He is doing relatively good, but with all those Renault engine problems, it's a bit early to judge him.
Wow...such ignorance....dont think we need to comment on this

Dear Jack, thanks for great article.
I'll tell you why he's such a stunning overtaker. His dad Jos FORBADE him - from his earliest karting races - to overtake where it seemed obvious. FORCED him to find alternative spots no-one else suspected. He's done so ever since. Harsh dad !

Lorenzo Bonder said:
If he continues like this, overtaking wise he might be in par with Senna's (yes I'm going this deep) overtaking skills.

---You can go as deep as you want, cause you're right, only with a Differents
Quote of Martin Brundle, Senna would drive up to you, and put his car in the smallest gap and leave it up to you if the two of you would crash!

Max Verstappen has a bit the same, but leaves enough space for the other.
But also, since he started doing this in the early beginning of his F1 career it looks a bit like the other Respects him for doing this, and giving him also the space he needs, like they would do when a former Champion is trying to overtake.

Max "The Kid" Verstappen is going to be a great one, he already is, cause of him there is a lot happening on the track again......it's called Overtaking.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back