Max Chilton

Max Chilton will make his Formula One race debut for Marussia in 2013, the team has confirmed.
Chilton will partner Timo Glock next year, taking the place of Charles Pic who has moved to Caterham.
Chilton, 21, drove for the team during the first practice session for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this year, as well as at the Young Drivers’ Test sessions.
He spent the last three seasons in GP2, finishing fourth in this year’s championship with two wins for Carlin. He is the younger brother of World Touring Car Championship driver Tom Chilton.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/12/18/chilton-f1-debut-marussia-2013/

Quite the unknown entity for me, curious if he can manage to beat Glock. Seriously doubt it tho. :)

Money talks Johnny Russian :)

Well thats not entirely true, as Guido vd Garde has some significant financial backing as well by his father in law, who is one of the wealthiest people in The Netherlands. :)

Money talks Johnny Russian :)

Well thats not entirely true, as Guido vd Garde has some significant financial backing as well by his father in law, who is one of the wealthiest people in The Netherlands. :)

cool, didn't know that about vd Garge. just did some reading up on him, i see he's had some consistent results in GP2 but nothing too remarkable. also been an F1 test driver on 3 occasions now, so I guess the teams might feel maybe he's not quite cut out for a full-time F1 drive.

having said that he's probably still performed better than Chilton in GP2 though. Chilton's finished 25th, 20th, and 4th in the championship in his 3 years in GP2, didn't do anything that remarkable in Formula 3 either. van der Garde matched Chilton for wins and poles in GP2 last season, and got 2 more podiums than him as well so they were fairly evenly matched it seems.

Remember guys These drivers all started at Minardi. Mark Webber, Anthony Davidson, Gioncarlo Fisichella, Fernando Alonso, Jarno Trulli.
And Marauuisia is the modern Minardi now HRT has left
:ninja:

Remember guys These drivers all started at Minardi. Mark Webber, Anthony Davidson, Gioncarlo Fisichella, Fernando Alonso, Jarno Trulli.
And Marauuisia is the modern Minardi now HRT has left
:ninja:
yep and Webber scored Minardi (called European by then) a point on debut at Melbourne fighting off a big charge from Mika Salo in a Ferrari if I recall correctly.

yep and Webber scored Minardi (called European by then) a point on debut at Melbourne fighting off a big charge from Mika Salo in a Ferrari if I recall correctly.

You recall wrongly. Salo was in a Toyota and it wasn't called European. It was still called Minardi although it was merged with a F3000 team. The official team name was European Minardi but it was never European stand-alone.

Well, Max has just finished every race of the season, breaking Tiago Montiero's record of 18 finishes in a debut season from 2005.

I still don't fully agree with this record, given that he rarely if at all finished on the lead lap.

It's a bit of a 'making up the numbers' kind of achievement.

I still don't fully agree with this record, given that he rarely if at all finished on the lead lap.

It's a bit of a 'making up the numbers' kind of achievement.

He never showed any kind of "threatening pace", did he? Like you say, and somewhat going for Sunday strolls and being a barely mobile chicane.

Nothing he's done so far has suggested that he will achieve any kind of success in F1. Bit of an English Karthikeyan.

Just looking through his career stats.
He's never finished a season higher than 4th in any single seater category.
He only has 8 career wins, across 5 series.
And he's not that highly regarded within the team, let alone from the outside perception.

More of a mobile cheque book than anything.
Not fair that he's holding other, more talented drivers back.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 186 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 365 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 507 39.0%