1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Max Chilton

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Tom, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Tom

Staff Emeritus Staff

Quite the unknown entity for me, curious if he can manage to beat Glock. Seriously doubt it tho. :)
  2. Daddy, can I please be an F1 driver please...

Yes son, here is 10 million to get yo a ride....spend it wisely now.

Sorry....can't help this.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

Does he have talent? Because having money it's now a must in F1.
  4. Haven't a clue..... Doesn't look old enough to shave yet, let alone drive in F1.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

He's 1 month younger than me... Anyway, he did improve a lot in the 2012 GP2 season, after two years doing... nothing.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

His dad invests millions into the GP2 and F1 teams.
    Seems he bought his son an F1 seat for Christmas.
    I hope the kid does well though. He seems well liked.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. must say i can't believe he got an F1 drive ahead of Davide Valsecchi, Luis Razia, or even Giedo van der Garde.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Money talks Johnny Russian :)

Well thats not entirely true, as Guido vd Garde has some significant financial backing as well by his father in law, who is one of the wealthiest people in The Netherlands. :)
  9. cool, didn't know that about vd Garge. just did some reading up on him, i see he's had some consistent results in GP2 but nothing too remarkable. also been an F1 test driver on 3 occasions now, so I guess the teams might feel maybe he's not quite cut out for a full-time F1 drive.

having said that he's probably still performed better than Chilton in GP2 though. Chilton's finished 25th, 20th, and 4th in the championship in his 3 years in GP2, didn't do anything that remarkable in Formula 3 either. van der Garde matched Chilton for wins and poles in GP2 last season, and got 2 more podiums than him as well so they were fairly evenly matched it seems.
  10. It sure does. I would love to have seen Robert Frijns get that seat. I cant help but feel that Chilton will struggle, especially against a much more experienced teammate.. but I thought that of Pic last year. So we'll have to wait and see.
  11. Solid job by Chilton today. I've become to like him actually, for some strange reason..
  12. Remember guys These drivers all started at Minardi. Mark Webber, Anthony Davidson, Gioncarlo Fisichella, Fernando Alonso, Jarno Trulli.
    And Marauuisia is the modern Minardi now HRT has left
  13. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.

yep and Webber scored Minardi (called European by then) a point on debut at Melbourne fighting off a big charge from Mika Salo in a Ferrari if I recall correctly.

14. You recall wrongly. Salo was in a Toyota and it wasn't called European. It was still called Minardi although it was merged with a F3000 team. The official team name was European Minardi but it was never European stand-alone.
  15. Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

Well, Max has just finished every race of the season, breaking Tiago Montiero's record of 18 finishes in a debut season from 2005.
  16. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

I still don't fully agree with this record, given that he rarely if at all finished on the lead lap.

It's a bit of a 'making up the numbers' kind of achievement.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. He never showed any kind of "threatening pace", did he? Like you say, and somewhat going for Sunday strolls and being a barely mobile chicane.

Nothing he's done so far has suggested that he will achieve any kind of success in F1. Bit of an English Karthikeyan.
  18. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Just looking through his career stats.
    He's never finished a season higher than 4th in any single seater category.
    He only has 8 career wins, across 5 series.
    And he's not that highly regarded within the team, let alone from the outside perception.

More of a mobile cheque book than anything.
    Not fair that he's holding other, more talented drivers back.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

20. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

So I take it he won't be going back to Marussia if they're able to race in 2015 then?