Massarutto Reveals more about Kunos / Porsche Relationship

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Porsche Preview 2.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni Licencing Manager, Marco Massarutto, has revealed some interesting information regarding the level of attention to detail afforded the studio in their new partnership with the Porsche brand.

Massarutto has gone on record to reveal the manufacturer gave Kunos access to detailed CAD drawings of a production model yet to be revealed to the worldwide public, including allowing access to car in a professional photography studio in order to allow the development team the chance to capture every fine detail before digitally recreating the cars for Assetto Corsa.

The below statement from Massarutto makes for an interesting story, especially the information regarding how keen it appears Porsche are keen to allow Kunos the level of data and access required to efficiently recreate each of the new Porsche models coming to Assetto Corsa. With detailed CAD drawings, and on site surveys of the cars themselves, it is very possible that the upcoming Porsche DLC packages will contain cars with a level of realism that is perhaps greater than has been possible in previous releases by Kunos.

Assetto Corsa Porsche Preview 3.jpg

"There's a funny story behind these pictures, that tells a lot about how Porsche cares about our partnership. As you can see taking a look to my profile, sometime I had the chance to shoot the most beautiful and iconic cars we have in Assetto Corsa right in the respective factories, but never in a photographic studio. Before Porsche. Also, usually it never happens that you receive CAD data of a model that has not been unveiled yet, nor that you can take pictures, or even that ...you can have the chance just to see a new car before it is officially unveiled. And no matter what you work for the car manufacturer, unless you are directly involved in the development of THAT model.

Well, when last Spring we gone to Stuttgart to take the pictures of the Porsche models included in our project (and the project itself was far to be revealed) Porsche granted us the access to their new car - not to a dark, hidden, anonymous garage - but in a beautiful photographic studio. A huge studio, and right in the middle, the new - and still not unveiled - Panamera G2 was waiting for us. I'm not a professional photographer, but I'm good in shooting the kind of pictures we need to reproduce each car detail. And, even if I take care of other responsibilities in our company, this is a role I still keep for myself, since I love it so much. So, we did our job and then we moved to a different location to take pictures of many other - and more interesting :D - cars. Then we gone back home. Just few days later, some pictures of the Panamera, the same car, shot in the same studio, have been leaked on internet, before the official presentation. Potentially a bad issue: when we was at the studio, I didn't taken any picture even on my smartphone, just to be sure to do not show any picture accidentally to my friends. So, in our weekly call with Porsche I wanted to make sure that Kunos wasn't behind the leaked pictures, and they said "we didn't thought for a second that was you, anyway don't worry, we know it: the car was pretty similar, but wasn't the same, since the pictures show a different car plate; it was the other one, used for road tests. But thanks".

Assetto Corsa Porsche Preview.jpg

Assetto Corsa is available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 now. The first of the three Porsche DLC packages will be available October 25th, and retails for 6.99 Eur. Players wishing to take advantage of 28% savings when purchasing all three DLC packages can purchase a Season Pass from Kunos, with more details to following in the coming weeks.

Porsche Volume One DLC will contain the following cars:
  • 911 Carrera S,
  • 935 Moby Dick
  • 918 Spyder
  • Cayman GT4 Clubsport
  • 718 Cayman S
  • 917/30
  • 911 Carrera RSR 3.0 1974

The Porsche Panamera G2 and a 1960's version of the Silverstone Grand Prix circuit will be added t to Assetto Corsa as free content in conjunction with the upcoming update to the game, expected to be release at a similar time as the Porsche Volume One DLC.

Assetto Corsa at RaceDepartment, the place to go for the latest news and discussions regarding the simulation. We hold regular club and league events using a variety of content, host some of the best mods available for the game and even have a dedicated Modding Discussion sub forum for modders of AC to share advice and WIP projects in AC. Head over to the Assetto Corsa sub forum today and join the discussion.

Looking forward to Porsche Volume One DLC? Impressed about the level of detail undertaken by the studio to get the new content as accurate as possible? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Couple 'o questions.

How is AI lately? Good? Anyone racing offline or still mostly online / hot lap?

Does AI quality vary from track to track like in ISI motor or is done differently? If depends on track, is there a list of tracks with good AI?

Also does AC having any of the following tracks or similar (non-ripped) with high quality and good AI?

Classic Oulton Park
Eastern Creek
Magny-Cours
Historic Interlagos
Historic Österreichring
Can-Am tracks (Bridgehampton, Riverside are good I think. Others?)
Other historic tracks suitable for historic porsches?

If I may quickly just personally reply to a couple of people......

@jonelsorel I didn't say I wanted AC to "be like" RF2 or anything else, hell no, I said, I wish they "would look" at what they are doing.....that's all.

@P*Funk Thank you, you hit the nail on the head, I am totally useless at getting my point across in forums, messages even texts (Wife is always having a go saying "why didn't you just say so" LOL :roflmao:

@k_badam I missed this off, as I did put "officially" and also yes I did enjoy LFS, but lets just say I was slow in coming to the party :(;)

@2112 no worries mate, we are all friends here, and I didn't get to see them, so what I don't know doesn't hurt :thumbsup:

and at ALL. Apologies for the reference to a males anatomy, I used to work for Ford, and when you saw these cars with certain people driving them, with shades on (in the dark) and really swanning around, that's just how we referred to them, so it was a work thing, sorry.

Shaun

Couple 'o questions.

Does AI quality vary from track to track like in ISI motor or is done differently? If depends on track, is there a list of tracks with good AI?

Also does AC having any of the following tracks or similar (non-ripped) with high quality and good AI?

Classic Oulton Park
Eastern Creek
Magny-Cours
Historic Interlagos
Historic Österreichring
Can-Am tracks (Bridgehampton, Riverside are good I think. Others?)
Other historic tracks suitable for historic porsches?
I would say that the ai is very good. Most fun to race against. They still have a few niggles but can be rewarding to race against. The key is to not overload your CPU with more ai than it can manage.

Couple 'o questions.
Personally, I have great races with the current AI and enjoy them thoroughly. I honestly don't get the hate they get. I set their strength % to match my times/abilities per track and go. I don't get punted and if I make a mistake, they pass me. Good times, if you ask me.

Indeed, Bridgehampton and Riverside are great. Donington Park is also a must have and VIR is fantastic.

My biggest issue with AI is their weird behaviour during racing!

They slam the brakes on into bends, allowing you to get inside, then race you around the outside, impossibly, regardless of the corner!

So often times you will think you are in front, and the idiot AI is still hanging on a pixel alongside and spins your rear corner round.

Oh and the usual AI thing of them having NoS on every straight regardless of line previous corner, they make the same rocket exit speed regardless

The AI has the same engine power and traction as you, if they're getting better corner exits it's cause they're programmed to do it well. Either putting down the throttle more efficiently or shifting at a more ideal rpm.

In most cars if you optimize your setup (tire pressure/suspension) you can beat them out of corners by having higher traction.

They slam the brakes on into bends, allowing you to get inside, then race you around the outside, impossibly, regardless of the corner!

That happens a lot less than it used to, but it still happens and can be frustrating.

The AI has the same engine power and traction as you, if they're getting better corner exits it's cause they're programmed to do it well. Either putting down the throttle more efficiently or shifting at a more ideal rpm.

In most cars if you optimize your setup (tire pressure/suspension) you can beat them out of corners by having higher traction.

They use stability control which is probably what allows them to get better exits.

In case i miss some news here about AC DLC:

Looking forward to Porsche DLC 1? Hell yes!
Looking forward to Porsche DLC 2? Hell yes!
Looking forward to Porsche DLC 3? Hell yes!
Looking forward to any future AC DLC? Hell yes!

Also, yes its interesting with the access Kunos get to Porsche. Im sure these DLC's will be of highest quality. As usual sure, but since Kunos often seem to surprise us with something new tech wise (sound, track or functionality) i cant help but always look forward to anyhting Kunos does. :thumbsup:

When, When, are Kunos going to look at the bigger picture. You look at RF2, Pcars, AMS, they all have low powered cars, that aid to competitive close racing (Clio Cup, Formula Ford for example). Yes all these high powered cars that are entirely an extension of a males genitalia, are nice to have, and maybe, maybe, fun to drive, but when are Kunos going to look at the "grass roots" of racing, where people careers all starts (in the 21st Centenary), and not at the pinnacle where most people retire?

Please don't say "your not happy, go race them sims" I am not saying I am not happy, as I have full DLC's, fully support Kunos, but give us something really different
Really? It's the first time EVER that Porsche will be officially allowed onto a PC title and you're saying they should "do something different?"

I'm confused. If there is any allowances to be made, it's for Porsche in a simulation title, as they are integral to motorsport history. You already have Fiat 500 abarth, how is that different than racing Clios? It's not is it?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back