Massa: 'I am a Championship Contender'

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Felipe Massa says he is coming to the light at the end of the tunnel, referring to his recent form. Massa qualified fourth and second at Australia and Malaysia, respectively. The Ferrari driver is now fifth in the championship standings and leads his Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso with 22 points

Source: esporte

The Brazilian has out-qualified the Spaniard in the last four Grand Prix's (includes 2012 eason). He now believes he is a championship contender, after making a brilliant start to the season. Although Massa has not won a race since Brazil 2008, he has also constantly been over-shadowed by Alonso and nearly lost his Ferrari seat last summer. But Massa has started to get back to his form in which he nearly became the 2008 World Drivers' Champion.

"I think we need to be confident and I am very confident. We need to keep our feet on the ground but we know there has been a great deal of work from last year to this year in the car. There is a lot to do, there is a lot to make this car better and better and make the evolution right on this car and make this car more competitive. I think if we carry on in this direction the chance of winning races and to fight for the championship is there," Massa was quoted as saying Tuesday by ESPN.

In the Malaysian Grand Prix Massa feels his race was held up by the tires heavy graining in the first stint. Massa started on the front row but fell down to the back of the top 10. After the first set of pitstop's Massa managed to climb back up the grid, eventually finishing in fifth.

"The pace was good. For sure without the problem at the start of the race, the race could have been quite different. The chance to fight for the podium would have been much higher. It is important to take points home, and fifth, looking at the first stint, was not so bad." he said.
View the Post on the Blog

I am cheering again for him. Love it when people bounce back from a lost position. Especially after all the criticism he received in the last couple of years.

I think the criticism was deserved as he did underachieve at that time but still a very strong return in the last couple of months.

Hope he can find his way back to the absolute top level and score some podium positions or even a win this year.

Cue the spanish "media" going ballistic on Massa.

Sorry, you know it's true.

As for Malaysia, I was critical of him, but he certainly was fast, and lost the podium at the beginning. If he had graining, well, that explains it.

Alonso never was the best qualifier. Trulli normally out paced him in qualify most of the times... but race, is a diferent history. If Massa manages to beat Alonso in race pace, he will be in a good position again.

About the "I prefeer a P5 than a DNF" comment above, please guys, be serious... You always take it to the personal side, Alonso vs. Massa, Massa vs. Alonso... I was meaning that if you start on P2, and your team mate who is always (or most of teh times) faster than you on race gets an early DNF, you can´t let this chance go! Cmon, show the team they can trust you aswell, show the team you are there to win races, or to score podiums. If you loose three positions intead (thanks Button DNF) ... is more of the same. How many of you think Alonso would have been out of the podium without the DNF??? That´s what I mean.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back