Martin Brundle joins Sky

Kyle Puttifer

@Simberia
Martin Brundle has announced that he will be leaving the BBC F1 team to join Sky.
He said: "In 2012 I will be working with Sky Sports F1 television. The fact that their newly-announced and dedicated F1 channel will have no in-race advertising was a key factor, but most importantly I need to commentate on every race live. Recorded and delayed sports television doesn't give me the adrenalin fix I crave."
This is a reference to the controversial plan for BBC to screen delayed highlights of the Sky-exclusive races.
David Croft is rumoured to be joining Brundle in the commentary box, while Ted Kravitz leads the pitlane team. It will be presented by rugby presenter Simon Lazenby, and Sky are seeking to hire Nigel Mansell's services as a pundit.
Full story here.

You say that, but remember he jumped ship from ITV to join the BBC 3 years ago :) I can fully understand his move, I don't like what's going on but I don't blame him for it. After all, if you are given the opportunity to continue doing what you love, why would you not do it?

Good on Jake though - he had an offer from Sky to front it and refused. I'm surprised at that and I'm sure he'll be missed during the coverage :(

You say that, but remember he jumped ship from ITV to join the BBC 3 years ago :) I can fully understand his move, I don't like what's going on but I don't blame him for it. After all, if you are given the opportunity to continue doing what you love, why would you not do it?

Good on Jake though - he had an offer from Sky to front it and refused. I'm surprised at that and I'm sure he'll be missed during the coverage :(

As much as he loves F1. He is loyal to the BBC since they gave him his big break into TV presenting and hes been with them since his start.

Maybe so - but when opportunities like this come along, you'd be stupid not to take it

Say you've been with HRT all your career, and then Ferrari offer you a seat. You don't refuse it because HRT gave you your big break. You jump ship.

Again, remember he made the switch from ITV to BBC in 2009 :)

Maybe so - but when opportunities like this come along, you'd be stupid not to take it

Say you've been with HRT all your career, and then Ferrari offer you a seat. You don't refuse it because HRT gave you your big break. You jump ship.

Well the Media is a bit different to F1. ;) Jake has his hand in the 2012 Olympics for BBC and going over to Sky will totally take him out of the Olympic coverage as well so i think he maybe thinking about more than F1. ;)

Im delighted. I just hope Sky get the right co commontator. Personally I hope its John Watson because I remember him coming out with some great lines during his BTCC commontating days like "going off like a bag of prawns in the sun"

As has been said, Jake does a lot of other things for the BBC other than F1, plus he has been there for a long time in his career. Martin first commentated for the BBC back in 1995 part-time as well but he does what's best for him.

Ben Edwards and John Watson were good in the A1GP days, they knew their stuff. There are also rumours of David Croft leaving BBC.

They were better when they did the Eurosport F1 coverage. ;)

it was critical that they got brundle, it's a shame they don't have coulthard - but i assume that's down to sky and not some misplaced loyalty to the bbc from coulthard... however, crofty should be a decent replacement...

jake. am i the only one that feels he 100% fakes interest in the sport?

I don't think that at all.
You can tell when he's gone out in cars with Jenson or Fernando, he loves it.

I think because he used to do children's TV, he sometimes sounds a bit fake in his enthusiasm, but I think he genuinely likes F1.

he sometimes sounds a bit fake in his enthusiasm
Patronising? I did notice his slight fakeness but there was no doubt that he loved his job.

it's a shame they don't have coulthard - but i assume that's down to sky and not some misplaced loyalty to the bbc from coulthard...
I think DC still has a year left on his contract with BBC - after that there's nothing stopping him going to Sky with Martin.

i hope no1 underestimates JH, tbh he is well suited at the BBC and i don't think he would ever change, it just wouldn't feel right or look right if he did.

then again that could also be my experience clouding my fair view on Sky :)

I just read on SKY's website about the new Channel and it looks like I'll be able to enjoy it after all!!!

Originally it sounded like you needed the Sky Sports package (far too much for mainly Football & Golf), but it is available to HD Subcribers without Sports which I have:).

What a loyalty to the BBC.
On the flipside, you could question the BBC's loyalty towards a contract they committed to that extended well beyond this year for F1. Then they suddenly see an opportunity to save 20 odd million pounds per year by re-negotiating the contract to only have half as many races and leave the door open to Sky to claim the pot of gold and have the lot.

I'm sure when Brundle signed up to become lead commentator (after Legard was let go) the BBC still had the contract in place to show all grand prix's for the next few years. Suddenly, the BBC move the goalposts so for me you can't really accuse Brundle of a lack of loyalty.

I appreciate the corporation has to make some financial savings, but they only have themselves to blame after years of paying over inflated wages to certain television celebrities that has got them in this mess in the first place.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%