Mark Webber Leaves Formula 1 for Porsche

RaceDepartment

Administrator
Staff
Mark Webber has announced to quit as Red Bull Racing Formula 1 driver at the end of the current 2013 season.

The 36-year-old veteran had an opportunity to continue in Formula 1, with either Red Bull or another Formula 1 team, but he decided its time for a new step in his career.

Webber will accept the offer to drive the new LMP1 Porsche that will participate in the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans and most likely also in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

Before racing in Formula 1 Webber already drove the legendary race at Circuit de la Sarthe for Mercedes back in 1999 as many of you will still remember his horrific crash during the warm-up.

To the BBC Webber said that he considers it an honor to race for Porsche "I'm really looking forward to this new challenge."

In his twelve years in Formula 1 the Australian won a total of nine Grand Prix, scored podium finishes 36 times and has eleven pole positions under his belt. Twice he finished third in the World Drivers Championship.

Kimi Raikkonen, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne are named as possible replacements for Webber at Red Bull. '' Kimi is definitely an option if he is available,'' said team principal Christian Horner of Red Bull.
View the Post on the Blog

Can't believe Webber has gone - probably best thing he could do though as he will ALWAYS be a number two at Red Bull.

Shame really.

Kimi to replace him? Would he want to be a number two though? or would he take the challenge to Vettel haha

Challenging Vettel would not be that easy. No matter everyone says its about the car, they dont have a clue, that a world champion is not becoming cause of the car. Once okay, but twice? He is damn good! Three times in row? He is bloody fast and clever! Kimi or Alonso or Hamilton or Button at the end, would be surprised from Vettel speed and driving smart.

About Webber .. its a shame but he refused to fight or couldnt, so thats it :/

Kimi would definitely take the challenge to Seb, and I think he would come out on top :)

Or ending up punching him in the face as he wanted to do with Perez :roflmao:

I think RBR will go with Ricciardo as he is much younger and fits the Red Bull marketing profile better.

Nice to see Webber back at Le Mans though, good move for him

Kimi would tell Redbull to shutup he knows what he is doing and that wouldnt sit well with Horner and Co so i dont think Kimi would want to be in the shadow of Vettel.Ricciardo will prob step up

Kimi would tell Redbull to shutup he knows what he is doing and that wouldnt sit well with Horner and Co so i dont think Kimi would want to be in the shadow of Vettel.Ricciardo will prob step up
reasonable one

Mark Webber has announced to quit as Red Bull Racing Formula 1 driver at the end of the current 2013 season.

:(

Webber will accept the offer to drive the new LMP1 Porsche that will participate in the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans and most likely also in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

:D

Ends and new beginnings. I hope Mark crushes the opposition at Le Mans!

I have nothing more to say, really... Except that I reckon Kimi won't go to RBR. He has no reason to leave Lotus, who have treated him very well and have given him a good car.

Worst kept secret right there.

LMP1 Is going to be more exciting than usual with Porsche around. Lets just hope Mark can keep all 4 wheels on the ground this time, mmkay?

So now the fun begins.
If Red Bull take Kimi, they are going to have an interesting time, he won't take bullshit, and won't be scared from talking about it.
And now to see if the Toro Rosso team is still doing its job properly.

Yeah, a few of us who pay attention to the world outside of F1 knew this was happening about 2 months ago :-D I know the RLM guys aren't ones to go into 'smug mode', but I think they've earned the right this time, especially as they were roundly savaged by the 'established' motorsport press. Good job guys! And yeah, welcome back to the real world Mark ;-)

Challenging Vettel would not be that easy. No matter everyone says its about the car, they dont have a clue, that a world champion is not becoming cause of the car. Once okay, but twice? He is damn good! Three times in row? He is bloody fast and clever! Kimi or Alonso or Hamilton or Button at the end, would be surprised from Vettel speed and driving smart.

About Webber .. its a shame but he refused to fight or couldnt, so thats it :/
Totaly agree with the whole ' he has the best car thing' the guy has some serious speed and is a smart racer. I give credit where credits due

Reactions: Dux

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 167 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 320 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing