Maria de Villota

Oook, where is she then, cause I really don't get the fuss about this picture.
If you mean that head between the two guys by the car - isn't de Villota a blonde? Nvm, why would she be without her helmet and balaclava?
I found it a bit tricky to notice, but look at the hydraulic platform at the back of the truck and it has gone right into her helmet.

That could have decapitated her

If you mean that head between the two guys by the car - isn't de Villota a blonde? Nvm, why would she be without her helmet and balaclava?

Me neither. Shows nothing.

She`s in the car... you can see the helmet stuck on the trailer lift...

Not nice.

No problem...

As I said, it took me a couple of looks to see it too but not nice when you do see it... glad to report that the BBC (UK news) have just reported that her life is no longer in danger but she`s still being treated for some pretty serious head and face injuries.

Hope it`s not too bad for her.

Marussia Website:

“We are grateful for the medical attention that Maria has been receiving and her family would like to thank the Neurological and Plastics surgical teams. However it is with great sadness that I must report that, due to the injuries she sustained, Maria has lost her right eye.

Very sad news about Maria losing her right eye :cry: I wouldn't blame Glock or Pic if they refused to race until they know and solve what caused the accident.

I know it was a freak accident but I wouldn't want to drive a car thinking it could lose control at any moment.

Very sad news about Maria losing her right eye :cry: I wouldn't blame Glock or Pic if they refused to race until they know and solve what caused the accident.

I know it was a freak accident but I wouldn't want to drive a car thinking it could lose control at any moment.

I don't think they will even think about not to drive. The moment you start to think "what can happen". Then you will think about everything. Not only this, and it will be hard to drive.

With that out of the way. Sad news, and it's still critical. Let's hope it doesn't get any worse than this!

That's indeed very sad news.

It's not really possible to happen on a normal race track, because there are no lorrys parked. So I don't think that this accident will prevent Glock or Pic from driving.
Don't forget that the saftey of modern F1 does not just result from the cars itself, but also from the track layout and modern barriers.

Nevertheless the head of the driver is the most fragile part of the system as we saw with Massa's accident back in 2009.

This is definitely going to push the FIA towards enclosed cockpits. Massa's accident may have been scary, but at least he didn't suffer any permanent damage. De Villota's accident shows that even at slow speeds, terrible accidents can happen. It follows that if an object struck a driver in a similar manner at higher speeds, it would most certainly be fatal.

I will drive her 06 Lacetti next time I do a public server race (probably at 100Mbit where I am an administrator). I hope she can race again and does not have any psychological issues as a result of the massive facial injuries. I think there was a NASCAR driver who lost an eye and still raced but had some depth of vision issues. I am glad there is no video of the accident or gruesome photos.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/7/13531.html

This is a news report. There is no video of the impact (I am glad of this).

2_a.jpg

Marussia_2265866b.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back