F1 2011 Manual vs Automatic - Fuel Consumption

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)

Chris

Premium
I've recently made the transition from 360 controller for PC with an Automatic gearbox, to a Wheel, (Thrustmaster GT Ferrari), with a manual gearbox in-game.

My question is this, is a manual gearbox less fuel efficient than an auto? Because i was only using STANDARD mix (2) the majority of the race, and with about 15 laps remaining my fuel level was -1 laps.

Yet with an auto gearbox, i can run the whole race on standard mix with at least 10 laps of Rich fuel mixture and it will still not get to -1 lap, the least it ever gets down to is Optimal.

So for the rest of the race, I had to short shift, to try and save fuel.

Cheers guys.

I do not think I have experienced it in race mode, only practice and qualify.
"@Tom Endres, It's because he doesn't lift off the throttle. When you have your foot on the breaks it's pretty hard to blow your engine"

Not entirely true, :) foot is on the brakes, but the quick downshifting blows it up.
Could be though that the quick downshifting is 70 % of the reason and setup/gear is the last 30 %... I have experienced the exact same as discussed on CM forums, and as you Wodu.

Solution is to shift slower.... :thumbsup:

Well, yea. Probably. I mean, shifting down like a psycho won't make you a better driver. It may make you faster just because it's a game but you still need to drive better (If you're doing it - you're probably lacking pace.. that's why I'm saying this..). Soooo.. Yea.. Just shift shorter and concentrate more into driving than shifting down. :p

I do not think I have experienced it in race mode, only practice and qualify.
"@Tom Endres, It's because he doesn't lift off the throttle. When you have your foot on the breaks it's pretty hard to blow your engine"

Not entirely true, :) foot is on the brakes, but the quick downshifting blows it up.
Could be though that the quick downshifting is 70 % of the reason and setup/gear is the last 30 %... I have experienced the exact same as discussed on CM forums, and as you Wodu.

Solution is to shift slower.... :thumbsup:

But when you look at the video I posted, isn't that really quick as well? Are you shifting down even quicker? :O

I was shifting quicker Tom, not much, but a bit quicker while I lift the foot from the throttle, and tapping the brake. Now, I shift slower as I could not find the way in the setup to "workaround" the shifting issue. As I read in the CM forum discussing the exact same thing, I also tend to think that shifting is the guilty one here, plus your setup.
Also a third point actually which I forgot. Which platform you are using.
I do not believe the platforms (PC, XBOC etc) are identical gamingwise, playing with steering wheel and shifting for example.
If you look at "Nobles" laps, he is a xbox gamer, his laptimes has been discussed here previously whether cheating or not. That I will not debate. What I will debate is what he does regards to shifting (maybe others too), THAT is insanely quick downshifting. Look at that guys lap at brazil, going from 6-5 to 1 in a splitsecond !!.
I would most certainly blow up my engine if I did that on PC with my wheelsets. :)

Yes, pretty much. I don't know the steering lock for the PS3 (since you can't see it, there's no menu available) but it's pretty much the same once I set the steering lock to 270° in the T500 panel. I'm using the F1 rim, that's why it's limited to 270°.

That was also my thoughts, but interesting that PS3 and PC are similar. If you forget all about who he is, which time he sets, that grip he has is totally wild, like riding on train rails, and what caught me the most was the insane downshifting. I really dont get how you can shift down that fast, and without blowing up the engine in qualy or practice.... as we are quite a few who blows it up if we try (PC version) ;)
After some training though in shifting down slower, I rarely blow it up :) but it´s a real schocker each time it happends, even though you can hear the "hissing sound" and know its coming .....................BOOOOMM !!!! :D

I haven't blown my engine like this I think. I have had a fail engine but it didn't blow because of the downshifts. I don't know, how you can downshift so quickly.. Altho I've had the hissing noise in a race and when I don't downshift like crazy the next 2 corners - it's all OK.

But yea, it's very strange why the Xbox users have more grip. Probably it's because it uses Microsoft Live and Xbox is made by Microsoft. They may have wanted their Xbox players to have an advantage or something... But hey, we're the winners. They have even more grip than us.. And we are faaaaaaaar away from lacking grip. :D

EDIT: Actually, I'm doing a Career with team Virgin (still season 1) and I like the grip it has. It's somewhere near realistic. It's still a lot but it feels a LOT better than the Online HRT for example... Soooo... Yea.. The slowest car is still too fast.. =/

Could very well be that the grip is one thing, and the way of using your hardware, can be leaned forward in the direction of doing such things as shifting that fast without being hit with complications.
I do not think though that MS wanted an advantage for their gamers :) I don t think they give a d.... :) its more likely down to the most doable way of making the platform work and making sense in the time given.
Its also the hardware, with my old MOMO I could shift very fast, with my Clubsport Formula is also fast but better, more realistic, (of you look on onboard F1 drivers). A friend of mine just bought G27 and he says he really needs to be carefull with shifting as that set can shifts incredibly fast.
I have not even begun a Career mode yet... :sick::cautious:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back