Resource icon

Tracks Mallala Motorsport Park 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Fellow Adelaidean here, and I am very sorry to have to be this negative, but you have got this almost completely wrong. From being too wide, being miles too bumpy, and inventing elevation from nowhere, I just don't know where you got your reference. Mallala is one of the flattest tracks in terms of elevation in the world, with there being less than 2 metres change. It's also very narrow. 10m off the top of my head last time I looked.

For some positive's, The track-side objects look pretty good (I would like to buy the stobie pole model!), and you've done better than most of us by releasing it a track.
Hi GT VIRUS, All feedback is welcome.... Firstly, I have never been to the track (believe it or not), all my reference and elevation data was from google and GIS (unfortunately Australian data is very poor). Quite a few other people have commented that is too smooth, something that I hope to rectify in the next update. I know it is a bit wider than the track IRL but when I first started making it I tried it at around 10 metres width and it was so difficult to stay on the track, I made a decision to make it wider for a more enjoyable experience. Just to finish, here is a quote by someone from the review page "I've drove this old girl years ago. Very good representation."

If you are building a track with little to no data then you have to rely on video. It helps if you can nail down a few key elevation points and set them "in stone" and don't move them. Then shape the elevations around those points. It's a tedious process and has lots of room for error but it is better than relying solely on low resolution google data. I am spoiled here in the US as there are usually pretty good records regarding terrain data. But even so most countries have some sort of basic topo map records.

As for the camera facing it doesn't need to be in the texture folder. It can be anywhere really. For example on one of my tracks I use it for "rubber bits" and I put the dds file in the data folder. In the ini file the texture line looks like this:
TEXTURE=content/tracks/njmp_lightning/data/debris.dds

If you are using the stock textures for people you just leave the path like this:
TEXTURE=content/texture/people_stand.dds

If you are building a track with little to no data then you have to rely on video. It helps if you can nail down a few key elevation points and set them "in stone" and don't move them. Then shape the elevations around those points. It's a tedious process and has lots of room for error but it is better than relying solely on low resolution google data. I am spoiled here in the US as there are usually pretty good records regarding terrain data. But even so most countries have some sort of basic topo map records.

As for the camera facing it doesn't need to be in the texture folder. It can be anywhere really. For example on one of my tracks I use it for "rubber bits" and I put the dds file in the data folder. In the ini file the texture line looks like this:
TEXTURE=content/tracks/njmp_lightning/data/debris.dds

If you are using the stock textures for people you just leave the path like this:
TEXTURE=content/texture/people_stand.dds
I agree with your logic LilSki, the US has very good topo data available. The problem with data here is that in many cases the data only shows 5 metre variances, which unfortunately isn't great. I understand what you say about the location of the camera facing crowd, but having my sitting crowd in a folder named texture shouldn't have a negative effect, should it?

I agree with your logic LilSki, the US has very good topo data available. The problem with data here is that in many cases the data only shows 5 metre variances, which unfortunately isn't great. I understand what you say about the location of the camera facing crowd, but having my sitting crowd in a folder named texture shouldn't have a negative effect, should it?
Not it doesn't really matter if it is in the texture folder. Just informing that it doesn't have to be there.

A 5 meter topo is better than nothing. I built Riverside on a 20' topo plus video from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Any time a line crosses the track that is a spot that is set and you do not move it. It's time consuming and tedious and not for everyone. Just saying it is possible. It is amazing how as little as 6" can completely change a corner.

Not trying to discourage you as what you have done so far is great. If you are happy with it then that is all that matters.

Not it doesn't really matter if it is in the texture folder. Just informing that it doesn't have to be there.

A 5 meter topo is better than nothing. I built Riverside on a 20' topo plus video from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Any time a line crosses the track that is a spot that is set and you do not move it. It's time consuming and tedious and not for everyone. Just saying it is possible. It is amazing how as little as 6" can completely change a corner.

Not trying to discourage you as what you have done so far is great. If you are happy with it then that is all that matters.
Thanks LilSki, I agree, it can be done.... time consuming and tedious are absolutely 2 words that come to mind :) I'm not discouraged at all, but I think I will try and do the physical mesh, adjust the lighting, fix the corner distance signs, and tweak the grass for this track. It would be too much rehashing the height data.... I would almost have to start from scratch again. Good lessons learned for my next track..... whatever that is :) Cheers!

From what I can remember last time I tried to manually calculate mallala, SF>T1 is a 2m drop, it's basicly flat (no more than 25cm over 100m difference) unt T7, where it climbs 1m to T9, then the other metre until back to SF. Cambers: T1 1.5 positve, T2 0.5negative, T3flat?, T4 about 2% positive (not so sure about that one), T5 1.5 positive, T6 0.5positive at the start to 0.5 negative on the exit. T7 1.5 positive, T8 2% positive, T9 2% positive. Track width at start/finish is 10m wide, I think everywhere else is 8m wide.

From what I can remember last time I tried to manually calculate mallala, SF>T1 is a 2m drop, it's basicly flat (no more than 25cm over 100m difference) unt T7, where it climbs 1m to T9, then the other metre until back to SF. Cambers: T1 1.5 positve, T2 0.5negative, T3flat?, T4 about 2% positive (not so sure about that one), T5 1.5 positive, T6 0.5positive at the start to 0.5 negative on the exit. T7 1.5 positive, T8 2% positive, T9 2% positive. Track width at start/finish is 10m wide, I think everywhere else is 8m wide.
Cheers for that GT VIRUS, I'll keep those figures, just in case I decide to do a Mallala MkII :)

Thanks very much for this! I do both trackdays and drifting at Mallala regularly and have been longing for an AC version I can practice on (even made a really rough version myself).

I'd have to agree with GT VIRUS about elevation and track width. To me the elevation is more off than the width and quite is substantial. As mentioned before it is VERY flat with a few bumps in key areas (like apex at T1 and a compression coming out of the last corner).

Other than that I'm mostly missing a few key curbs around the place, and some tarmac on the left at the pit exit and something about going into T2, T3 and into "the esses" doesn't feel quite familiar but I only gave it a quick go this morning. Will do some more extensive testing a bit later.

I've got plenty of video footage with a solid mounted camera in a small car very sensible to bumps that might provide some reference. Also more than happy to help out with feedback as I'd love to get this track as good as it can be for selfish reasons. :)

Donated you some gold as well for the hard work. Keep it up!

Cheers!

Thanks very much for this! I do both trackdays and drifting at Mallala regularly and have been longing for an AC version I can practice on (even made a really rough version myself).

I'd have to agree with GT VIRUS about elevation and track width. To me the elevation is more off than the width and quite is substantial. As mentioned before it is VERY flat with a few bumps in key areas (like apex at T1 and a compression coming out of the last corner).

Other than that I'm mostly missing a few key curbs around the place, and some tarmac on the left at the pit exit and something about going into T2, T3 and into "the esses" doesn't feel quite familiar but I only gave it a quick go this morning. Will do some more extensive testing a bit later.

I've got plenty of video footage with a solid mounted camera in a small car very sensible to bumps that might provide some reference. Also more than happy to help out with feedback as I'd love to get this track as good as it can be for selfish reasons. :)

Donated you some gold as well for the hard work. Keep it up!

Cheers!
Thanks for your response and Donation! You are the first to do so, Cheers!! :)

I would love to take you up on your offer! I have sent you a PM.
Once again, Thank you very much for the donation, I means so much to me.
Cheers

Track width would be good to get confirmed. I've got reasonable height data from my GPS logs which I think would be sufficient for the undulations. Bumps are probably best grabbed from video data.

Untitled.jpg

If you need any help from me I can help as well. I'm out there about every 2nd week to check anything you need.
Hi GT VIRUS, Your help would be welcome. Would it be possible to get some pics of the start of pit entry where it leaves the main track, and get confirmation of the track widths and the pit entry? After a lot of googling I have only found an old layout map from what appears to be the 1960s, 30 - 40 feet on this page https://primotipo.com/2015/03/page/2/

A decent video to help identify the bumps. I am kart 41 in this video (passed quickly at 5.15ish)
I can confirm 10m for the S/F straight and 8m for the rest of the track, I am talking white line to white line though. The new concrete verges at the edge of the track around T7 > T1 are about 80cm each side (haven't measured them though yet, I'll take a tape measure to the historics next weekend there)

A picture of the pit entry at T1 https://i1.wp.com/www.spriteclub.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013-03-31-14.24.45.jpg

A decent video to help identify the bumps. I am kart 41 in this video (passed quickly at 5.15ish)
I can confirm 10m for the S/F straight and 8m for the rest of the track, I am talking white line to white line though. The new concrete verges at the edge of the track around T7 > T1 are about 80cm each side (haven't measured them though yet, I'll take a tape measure to the historics next weekend there)

A picture of the pit entry at T1 https://i1.wp.com/www.spriteclub.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/2013-03-31-14.24.45.jpg
Cheers GT VIRUS, Thanks a lot for the info. Great information :)

Fellow Adelaidian here. Brilliant brilliant stuff. Sure, it's a little too wide, and has a bit too much elevation change, but nothing a little tweaking won't fix. A few months ago I attempted 3d modeling and this was one of the tracks I started to attempt to replicate. I didn't get anywhere near as far as this, so well done. Someone did mention that it's a little too green, but the tracks dryness/grass varies so much from season to season, summer to winter. If you were to check it out after winter it would be super green, but come the end of summer everything would have dried out.

Last edited:
Fellow Adelaidian here. Brilliant brilliant stuff. Sure, it's a little too wide, and has a bit too much elevation change, but nothing a little tweaking won't fix. A few months ago I attempted 3d modeling and this was one of the tracks I started to attempt to replicate. I didn't get anywhere near as far as this, so well done. Someone did mention that it's a little too green, but the tracks dryness/grass varies so much from season to season, summer to winter. If you were to check it out after winter it would be super green, but come the end of summer everything would have dried out.
Cheers LetsTestDrive! :) The track is undergoing a major update with the help of xtimmyx and GT VIRUS. Not sure when it will be ready, but the changes will be significant, and much more accurate :)

Great work...track is a lot of fun. Been hooning around in the MX-5 Cup. Only been up there a couple of times, so I cant vouch for accuracy, but I am enjoying it.

Great fun track.
Made my favorites list.
Only issue (never heard on any other track) - CrewChief keeps saying "blue flag."
Any ideas?
Keep up the outstanding work.

Hope you still find time and motivation to update it.. It just needs that slightest bit to be on par with the top mods!

My feedback from my review: "I think you can improve the surfaces a bit more (I have installed the surfaces from your edit as well), and some bumps feel a bit overdone, but that could be as it is in real life. Compared to Kunos tracks it also looks a bit dark. All of this forced me to drop one star, but if you get this right, it's very very very close to Kunos quality in my book!"

I really want to use your track for the race series we're doing, but like TT Assen, in this way it's just(!) not cutting it, and I really want it to be in :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%