Luca Filippi gets Indycar chance with CFH Racing

After trying desperately to get a chance in the Indycar series since his stellar final GP2 season in 2011, Filippi has been given a chance this season as he was announced as the driver of the Number 20 CFH Racing entry for the road and street course events.

Filippi will share the car with Ed Carpenter, who will compete in all oval events. This arrangement saw success last year as Carpenter shared the car with Brit Mike Conway, before he joined Toyota full time in the World Endurance Championship for this year. The team's second entry will be piloted by the fast young American racer Josef Newgarden.

Filippi gave his thoughts on the deal by stating to Motorsport.com "It's a great feeling. I can't wait to race and share the No. 20 with Ed this year,I have to thank Ed, Fuzzy's Vodka and CFH Racing for this fantastic opportunity and I look forward to the successes we will enjoy this season!"

CFH Racing Co-owner Ed Carpenter also gave his thoughts to Motorsport.com "I am very excited to announce that Luca will be joining the team and driving the No. 20 Fuzzy's Award Winning Vodka Chevrolet for the road and street course events in 2015,We have seen the potential that Luca has shown over the past two seasons in his limited races and we feel that he will allow us to continue to compete for wins. I cannot wait to get the season started so we can work towards our goal of claiming the entrant points championship."

Filippi has limited previous experience, with four starts for Bryan Herta Autosport in 2013, before making four more starts with Rahal Letterman Lanigan last season. This year Filippi will compete in 11 of the 17 Indycar races, giving him the chance to make a good lasting impression within the paddock as he looks to secure a full time seat in 2016.

What are your thoughts on Fillippi's Indycar deal? Please feel free to comment below.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 259 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 231 13.8%