Misc LS Cockpit Camera Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that I've had quite a lot of downloads for my mod (1.6 and in general) so firstly, thank you for this, but I've not received any feedback or opinions. Although this is fine and I'm not directly asking for comments (or for that matter, praise) I am however curious as to what people like and / or dislike about any version of my mod so that I know how to approach F1 2015 - provided that game can be modded in the same or similar way.

So if you like a particular mod version, or a specific element from any version (camera movement, shake, position etc) or think one version is clearly the best then I'd love to know what ya'll are thinking. As long as your criticism is constructive then I'll welcome your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I want to play F1 2014 with your awesome mod but my resolution is 1680x1050 (16:10 aspect ratio) what do you recommend for me?

Is this mod avaible only for 16:9 and 21:9 resolutions?

Thanks.

Hi Zeratul, thanks for your comments and question.

This mod will technically work for any resolution and / or aspect ratio, I just chose the two most common ratios to demonstrate how different FOV settings work with them.

Short answer: For 16:10 aspect ratio I'd choose a FOV setting that's either the same or similar to 16:9 FOV - so I'd try FOV 59 first. If it seems too far away then try the next FOV down, 57.

Long answer: Alternatively, use the Master FOVs found within v1.6 path...

F1 2014 LS Cockpit Camera Mod v1.6\v1.6\Mod Files\Master FOVs

Copy the Master FOVs "cars" folder into your F1 2014 main directory (overwrite when prompted). Load the game and you'll find the each car now has 7 cockpit cameras - the first being FOV 59, the next is FOV 56, continuing at 3 FOV increments down to FOV 41. When you're in the car and out on track (perhaps just within a practice session) simply play the game and cycle through each cockpit camera until you've found one you like. Remember which camera you like (the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) and exit the game completely, then go back to my mod files and find the camera number / FOV that you like and copy the "cars" folder into your game and overwrite - now you'll only have one cockpit camera again.

You may even want to modify the FOV if you can't find a setting you like - I had this with the Williams using 21:9 aspect ratio, where FOV 50 seemed a touch too far away and FOV 47 a touch too close, so I manually changed it to FOV 48.5 and I was then happy with that.

To do this use a camera file that contains only 1 cockpit camera (i.e. not the Master FOV) and open the cameras.xml within a text editor (I recommend Notepad++). Find (Control+F) the text "head-cam" and you'll notice line number 1066 which reads...

<Parameter name="fov" type="scalar" value="44.0000" />

Simply change the value to your desired setting, save it (ensuring that the file is within the correct game directory) then play the game.

For 16:10 ratio you may even need to increase the FOV setting beyond the highest value I provided (59) and go up to say 62. I don't have my 16:10 monitor hooked up right now so can't say for sure.

I know all this may sound either too much to deal with or take too much time, but it's actually very simple and straight forward and takes a matter of 5 minutes to achieve. Thanks again for your interest and I hope you enjoy the game with this mod. Message back if you (or anyone else) wants further assistance.

Last edited:
To all (regarding F1 2015):

From the E3 2015 footage I've seen of F1 2015 it seems that Codemasters have significantly improved the cockpit camera position (thank you Codies) but the head movement looks a tad "mainstream", and by this I mean "a tad boring and unrealistic" - so if the game is "modable" I'll see what I can achieve and release a mod if it's worthy.

I have the game on pre-order so I'll be on the case from day 1 :)

Hi Zeratul, thanks for your comments and question.

This mod will technically work for any resolution and / or aspect ratio, I just chose the two most common ratios to demonstrate how different FOV settings work with them.

Short answer: For 16:10 aspect ratio I'd choose a FOV setting that's either the same or similar to 16:9 FOV - so I'd try FOV 59 first. If it seems too far away then try the next FOV down, 57.

Long answer: Alternatively, use the Master FOVs found within v1.6 path...

F1 2014 LS Cockpit Camera Mod v1.6\v1.6\Mod Files\Master FOVs

Copy the Master FOVs "cars" folder into your F1 2014 main directory (overwrite when prompted). Load the game and you'll find the each car now has 7 cockpit cameras - the first being FOV 59, the next is FOV 56, continuing at 3 FOV increments down to FOV 41. When you're in the car and out on track (perhaps just within a practice session) simply play the game and cycle through each cockpit camera until you've found one you like. Remember which camera you like (the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) and exit the game completely, then go back to my mod files and find the camera number / FOV that you like and copy the "cars" folder into your game and overwrite - now you'll only have one cockpit camera again.

You may even want to modify the FOV if you can't find a setting you like - I had this with the Williams using 21:9 aspect ratio, where FOV 50 seemed a touch too far away and FOV 47 a touch too close, so I manually changed it to FOV 48.5 and I was then happy with that.

To do this use a camera file that contains only 1 cockpit camera (i.e. not the Master FOV) and open the cameras.xml within a text editor (I recommend Notepad++). Find (Control+F) the text "head-cam" and you'll notice line number 1066 which reads...

<Parameter name="fov" type="scalar" value="44.0000" />

Simply change the value to your desired setting, save it (ensuring that the file is within the correct game directory) then play the game.

For 16:10 ratio you may even need to increase the FOV setting beyond the highest value I provided (59) and go up to say 62. I don't have my 16:10 monitor hooked up right now so can't say for sure.

I know all this may sound either too much to deal with or take too much time, but it's actually very simple and straight forward and takes a matter of 5 minutes to achieve. Thanks again for your interest and I hope you enjoy the game with this mod. Message back if you (or anyone else) wants further assistance.

Thanks for the reply. I'll do as you say :)

If I have trouble adjusting the settings i'll ask for your help again. Thank you very much

Here's your feedback Large Style: I'm using FOV 59 as you suggested and it worked just fine and so far i'm enjoying it.

Excellent mod, thanks. :)

The best mod ever!!!! GREAT job! Tons of choices within the download.

Is it possible or have you been asked to develop a Steering Wheel Delete mod?... I have driver=OFF in F1 2014 graphics, but would love to the wheel gone. I bought & returned F1 2015 because the driver OFF option is not possible.

Cheers.

Thanks for your kind comments F1detka.

If you're using the driver off option then you'll see that you can't disable the steering wheel within the cameras.xml - which is the only file I've modded in this game, so can't comment on any other files. I'm guessing there are car model files which (if you can load into an editor somehow) can delete the steering wheel - but I don't know, sorry.

Thanks!

I can't make this mod for F1 2015 as Codemasters encrypted the game files and it's very hard if not impossible to mod certain parts of the game, including the camera files. All I can mention is my personal camera settings that I use in F1 2015 which has to be setup by the in-game option...
wb9vtl.jpg

,,,which results in this...
t056jq.jpg

That said, I really don't play F1 2015 that much so these settings may not be ideal, but they're somewhat close to my F1 2014 cameras.

I don't even know which mod you are referring to, let alone be able to inform you of how / if settings can be changed. I've just looked through RaceDepartments 72 currently listed F1 2015 Misc mods and saw no camera mods, so I'm afraid I can't help you with this.

Open the cameras.xml file of the team of your choice with a text editor such as Notepad++, navigate to the "head-cam" which is typically on line 1064, then simply change values, save the file, then try it out in game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%