Misc LS Cockpit Camera Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a brief heads-up: Mod Overview page has now been updated to include a brief tutorial for combining 2 camera mods together, in case you'd like to use my cockpit view within another camera mod.

Thanks for your comment Jorma. Have you looked through / tried the different versions of this mod (v1.21, v1.3, and v1.41)? They may have what you're after, but if not then you can easily modify the files in a matter of seconds / minutes to suit your tastes. For your desire to have the view a little higher and closer then...

Open the folder you installed F1 2014 into, and open the cars folder. Pick the car of your choice and open the cameras.xml file within a text editor (I find Notepad++ is best). Navigate to the "head-cam" and within the first section of text is the position. I can't say how much you need to change it by as this is something that it personal to your tastes, so all I can say is for you to adjust the "y" coordinate value to adjust the camera height (to raise it I'd recommend adding 0.0100 onto the existing number at a time until it's high enough) and bring the view forward by adding say 0.0200 onto the existing "z" coordinate number until it's forward enough.

This may sound daunting but in reality, it's very easy to do. The quickest way to make adjustments is to have both the text editor open (with the cameras.xml file loaded and viewing the head-cam data) and the game running at the same time. The cameras.xml file gets loaded into the game every time you load a race meeting up from the main menu, so...

1) Alt+Tab out of the game (while at the main menu)
2) Make your adjustments within the cameras.xml file and save it
3) Alt+Tab back to the game, then Alt+Enter (assuming you're not on Windows XP) to go fullscreen
4) Load a race meeting up, perhaps just a practice session
5) If you don't like the view then exit back to the main menu and go back to step 1) and repeat until happy.

Once you've found the settings you like you can then easily transfer them to another teams car by remember the adjustments made to the original file (say added 0.0250 on "y" and added 0.0400 on "z") and make these same adjustments to the other teams' car. Just don't use the exact same coordinates as every teams' car uses completely different coordinates (Codemasters - please centralise all camera node placements identically for every car, would make life a lot easier).

Message back if you want / need more help.

Thanks for your comment Jorma. Have you looked through / tried the different versions of this mod (v1.21, v1.3, and v1.41)? They may have what you're after, but if not then you can easily modify the files in a matter of seconds / minutes to suit your tastes. For your desire to have the view a little higher and closer then...

Open the folder you installed F1 2014 into, and open the cars folder. Pick the car of your choice and open the cameras.xml file within a text editor (I find Notepad++ is best). Navigate to the "head-cam" and within the first section of text is the position. I can't say how much you need to change it by as this is something that it personal to your tastes, so all I can say is for you to adjust the "y" coordinate value to adjust the camera height (to raise it I'd recommend adding 0.0100 onto the existing number at a time until it's high enough) and bring the view forward by adding say 0.0200 onto the existing "z" coordinate number until it's forward enough.

This may sound daunting but in reality, it's very easy to do. The quickest way to make adjustments is to have both the text editor open (with the cameras.xml file loaded and viewing the head-cam data) and the game running at the same time. The cameras.xml file gets loaded into the game every time you load a race meeting up from the main menu, so...

1) Alt+Tab out of the game (while at the main menu)
2) Make your adjustments within the cameras.xml file and save it
3) Alt+Tab back to the game, then Alt+Enter (assuming you're not on Windows XP) to go fullscreen
4) Load a race meeting up, perhaps just a practice session
5) If you don't like the view then exit back to the main menu and go back to step 1) and repeat until happy.

Once you've found the settings you like you can then easily transfer them to another teams car by remember the adjustments made to the original file (say added 0.0250 on "y" and added 0.0400 on "z") and make these same adjustments to the other teams' car. Just don't use the exact same coordinates as every teams' car uses completely different coordinates (Codemasters - please centralise all camera node placements identically for every car, would make life a lot easier).

Message back if you want / need more help.

Thank you for this info pack! :) Im modifying the ferrari camera at the moment.Is the FOV changeable how much in this game?

You're welcome Jorma. Yes you can change the FOV - it's right near the top of the head-cam section...

<Parameter name="fov" type="scalar" value="48.0000" />

Obviously use a smaller number for a narrower (therefore closer) FOV and a bigger number for wider (therefore farther) FOV. You may want to adjust the "z" position as well so as to find the right balance between FOV and position settings.

Also note that the "normal" FOV value of "65" (that's commonly the standard setting) doesn't translate well in F1 2014 - it seems too higher a value. The standard F1 2014 cockpit cameras use "54.2770" for most cars, but I noticed even this seemed a little too wide, especially for 21:9 aspect ratio hence why I set v1.41 of my mod to have all cars at "48.0000". It seems that Grid Autosport (which uses the same type of camera files) uses an fov of "48.0000" which works well for that game, hence why I decided to use this value as a new standard in F1 2014 compared to "65.0000" or even the original "54.2770".

As said though, the key is to find the correct balance of FOV and "z" axis setting so experiment away and you'll soon find what works best for you.

Last edited:
@ Rob: Yes, look for this section within the head-cam:

<CorneringForces>
<Parameter name="enabled" type="bool" value="true" />
<Parameter name="rollLimitInDegrees" type="scalar" value="-14.0000" />
<Parameter name="rollSmoothingScale0To1" type="scalar" value="0.5000" />
<Parameter name="yawLimitInDegrees" type="scalar" value="20.0000" />
<Parameter name="yawSmoothingScale0To1" type="scalar" value="0.4970" />

Roll affects the horizontal angle rotation, so the head either tilts on the spot into the corner or away from it.
Yaw has no tilt rotation and instead rotates / looks immediately left or right towards the corner or away from it.

If you want to reduce each effects amount then you need to change the "limitindegrees" value to something nearer towards "0.0000". Alternative you can change the smoothing scale, which I look at as being a smoothing curve - if you change say the yaw scale above to "0.2500" it will make the initial yaw movements smaller yet gradually increasing in movement the more the yaw effect is applied (i.e. the longer you're holding the steering in a continuous direction).

Note that the original settings weren't set to "0.0000" even if the effects seemed subtle. They are in fact:

<CorneringForces>
<Parameter name="enabled" type="bool" value="true" />
<Parameter name="rollLimitInDegrees" type="scalar" value="-2.0000" />
<Parameter name="rollSmoothingScale0To1" type="scalar" value="0.5000" />
<Parameter name="yawLimitInDegrees" type="scalar" value="10.0000" />
<Parameter name="yawSmoothingScale0To1" type="scalar" value="0.4970" />

Also note that the "enhanced head physics" settings I provide are actually just adjustments to the Cornering Forces section and Acceleration Forces section - so if you don't like how the head moves around you can try a mod version with original head physics.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I see that I've had quite a lot of downloads for my mod (1.6 and in general) so firstly, thank you for this, but I've not received any feedback or opinions. Although this is fine and I'm not directly asking for comments (or for that matter, praise) I am however curious as to what people like and / or dislike about any version of my mod so that I know how to approach F1 2015 - provided that game can be modded in the same or similar way.

So if you like a particular mod version, or a specific element from any version (camera movement, shake, position etc) or think one version is clearly the best then I'd love to know what ya'll are thinking. As long as your criticism is constructive then I'll welcome your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%