F1 2013 Low speed rear grip

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi All

Unfortunately i do no have a huge amount of time to play this each week, i like it very much but am frustrated by the lack of low speed rear grip. Even when softening the whole cars grip and deadening the wheels acceleration i still spin like a ballerina out of low speed corners until around 150kph. I only play offline so if anyone has a cheat or a mod to tighten up the rear grip i would be very happy. I dont have the time or skill like some guys to control the rear grip so need an easy fix to make this game enjoyable!

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

F1A

i have turned car settings upside down tried everything and havent found any setups to stop this from occurring, tweaking wheel settings havent helped either. My only hope of satisfaction is if someone can find a way to up the tc settings in a database or increase the rear grip levels in a database file, any ideas how?
You don't need to tweak the game as by the sound of it its a driver problem :)

Try a less heavy right foot and don't slam the throttle all the way but gradually press the pedal. Turn TC off otherwise you do not feel the car and you will not learn what the real issue is.

Throttle control is mostly the solution

Hi mate,
Have you tried gears 1 and 2 (maybe even 3) longer, so as they are not as sensitive? Slide the....slider more to the right for these gears. It MIGHT help?? :cautious:
i dont like longer lower gears as i think they decrease acceleration in a straight line and also affect engine braking, i usually short shift in the first 3 or 4 gears and try to straighten the car before i mash the acelerator.

You don't need to tweak the game as by the sound of it its a driver problem :)

Try a less heavy right foot and don't slam the throttle all the way but gradually press the pedal. Turn TC off otherwise you do not feel the car and you will not learn what the real issue is.

Throttle control is mostly the solution
i am sure it is a driver problem! i do gradually press the throttle though only use minimal until i reach around 160kph, i do feed it in but it still happens. I have noticed that my g27 only seems to use the last half of its acceleration travel to actually accelerate though, the first half of the pedal doesnt do much, it almost seems like it is all on or all off, when i calibrate it shows linear acceleration as i squeeze the pedal though.

brake bias? to help acceleration stability? i'm open to anything

It's Codemasters F1 - you might even need to lower the menu music volume to get better traction, anything is possible :p

Tried the game at a friend, the acceleration is horrible. It's not the fact that there's so little traction, but rather that it's so unpredictable, each time it feels a lot different.

I'm hoping for a patch that fixes this before I'll be able to buy it, to be honest.

And I'm not a n00b by any stretch, I do just fine on all rFactor 1 F1 mods I play online, as well as GSC. The acceleration is very different here.

I finally got this game yesterday. I'm in Canada and had to wait until yesterday for the download. I went straight to Suzuka to test things out.
It is definitely hard to keep control of the back end in the slower corners. The seconds Degner, the hairpin, and the chicane are the main trouble spots. I ended up having to lengthen the first 2 gears, reduce the rear ARB to 1, and keep the camber near the middle at the rear to give myself any shot at not spinning the rears out of those corners. I have always read in setup guides that the front ARB should be as stiff as possible and the rear ARB as soft as possible and it appears like that is actually the case with this game (so far). It has been very different with the previous 3 games.

I'm driving the Mercedes in GP mode, no assists, 100% distance, Suzuka, Legend AI, Official MS Wheel.
Q1 - P7 - Prime
Q2 - P8 - Option
Q3 - P1 - Option - 1:34.453 (P2 was +0.158)

I was surprised to be able to keep up with AI at that setting actually. I managed to keep P1 going into T1 and T2 but Vettel stayed close. We both made a gap to P3 that extended to 3 or 4 seconds over the first 4 laps. But my tyres started to go off quite quickly. Vettel passed a lap later under DRS and when i pitted on the end of lap 8 i rejoined in P6 or P7. After all the first stops were made i was in P3 but losing time to P2 by about 0.5secs a lap.

The tyres are very hard to manage. It seems the AI are not affected as much by this. The engineer is quite good at letting me know when to change though.

I was quite surprised to be able to match pace with the AI so early after getting this game. 2012 took me some time to come up to speed (although it had it's issues and had to be patched), I don't feel the same struggle so far with 2013.

My advice for people struggling with the back end is; make the back end as soft as you can and be very VERY VERY light on the throttle out of the slow corners.
As i get more used to the way this car handles i'm sure i'll be able to stiffen the back end up a bit more, but for right now the only way i can manage it is make it soft.

Okay I found something that works for me with a pad. Set Front ARB 11 and Rear ARB 1, then put a very high rake angle on the car. That plants the rear pretty darn well. Not 100% perfect but you can be a lot more aggressive with the throttle now than before.

It's Codemasters F1 - you might even need to lower the menu music volume to get better traction, anything is possible :p

Tried the game at a friend, the acceleration is horrible. It's not the fact that there's so little traction, but rather that it's so unpredictable, each time it feels a lot different.

I'm hoping for a patch that fixes this before I'll be able to buy it, to be honest.

And I'm not a n00b by any stretch, I do just fine on all rFactor 1 F1 mods I play online, as well as GSC. The acceleration is very different here.
that is gold man!!

Driver update required , Driver update required #2 :D

In all honesty all that is required is practice. I don't even think about the wheel spin now as i have adapted to it(i use Xbox PC Pad) As with ALL racing the tools you use for the job are only as good as the driver that is using them. Every driver needs to adapt whether its virtual or reality.

It is very different from last year.Your trouble sound like adaption problems.This year the game is not good for button/digital controls aka on/off.It will punish you. Analogue smoothness is where its at. Get past the frustration and then the game becomes an absolute pleasure to play.

i have taken the easy way out, a mod has become available that adds 20% grip, it now makes the game playable and enjoyable from my perspective, still gets a twitch on if use too liberal an amount of the right foot, is superb!

brake bias? to help acceleration stability? i'm open to anything

That's not crazy, if you are sideways on entry (like it happens with rear bias) it's gonna be diffcult putting the power down.

I think your problem might be too much steering angle, F1 2013 is really brutal when it comes to this, when you accelerate out of slow corners you really need your wheel(or thumbstick) as straight as possible.

This game requires time to not only get use to the braking zones but also adapt to the new handling model (which I like, no more full acceleration out of corners, making it feel like you had TC turned on) and with tyre wear been so important this year, this adds a whole new element to tyre management.

Hey Beam, havent played rfactor in long time now! I kind of agree re steering angle but have still been able to spin like a ballerina almost in a straight line! The handling out of corners may be realistic but i dont have the hours to put in to hone my lack of skill, even though i have a mod that glues the car to the track, as my skills improve i can always reduce the tc settings to make it more realistic. I used to have tc on full and still couldnt keep it straight coming out of corners!

All good!

F1A

Hi. I found a way to fix this without messing with surface materials xml witch gives unrealistic handling. So by editing cars ctf files for each car for every track by increasing cars rear grip from default 1.0 to 1.06 ( less than 1% increase) No difference in cars default performance doesn't make you faster or anything like that just rear slipping in corners is reduced by 90%. Increasing it more eliminates it completely but you get car that starts the race little to good.
So far I edited - Ferrari, McLaren,Mercedes, red bull, lotus and sauber.
If any one would like to try let me now. I will send you edited files.
Tested in it works perfectly.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back